Stalled Weight loss post Whole 30

violetta

I have stayed pretty compliant after my Whole 30 month and am still eating almost no sugar, grains, dairy, legumes or alcohol except a little yogurt and cheese and some cream in my coffee.  I have a hard cider, maybe once a week and occasional rice crackers or white rice.  But I haven't lost more than 2 or 3 pounds in the 4 months since I finished whole 30.  Almost all of the weight loss seemed to come in the first couple of weeks of whole 30.  I would really like to weigh about 10 pounds less than I do. I know it is not all about weight loss but I haven't seen much size change since the end of Whole 30 either.  Any suggestions, short of a complete Whole 30, to kick start the weight loss and size loss again?

• Moderators

Anyone, on any diet, who gets down to that last 10 lbs they want to lose, finds that it goes slower than losing 10 lbs when you have considerably more to lose. It may just be something that is going to take a while.

It can also be affected by things other than food -- if you're going through a lot of stress or if you're not sleeping well, for instance. 

There's also the possibility that your body is happy at the weight it's at, even if your mind is not.

Are you exercising? Specifically, are you lifting heavy things? That will make the biggest difference in body composition, and typically, when people talk about those last few pounds, what they really mean usually isn't so much the weight, what they usually mean is that there are parts of their bodies that are still a little squishier than they'd like. If you're truly within 10 lbs of your ideal weight, is this what's going on? Because if it is, focusing on the scale is really not helpful -- focus on how you look, on how strong you are, on how your clothes fit, and start working to improve those things if you really want to -- by eating well, getting good sleep, removing as much stress from your life as you can, and getting healthy amounts of exercise. One word of warning about this approach -- you really, really need to stay off the scale if you go this route, because one thing that can happen is that people slim down and gain muscle (not like bulky, body builder muscle, just nicely toned, firm muscle), and their weight goes up a little bit. That's normal, but if you stress about weight, it's easiest just to not even weigh until you get to a point where you're happy with how you feel and how you look and you know that that number won't negatively affect if you if it's not where you think it ought to be.

Archived