Starting May 16

Laurenlulu26

Happy day 7 everyone! Feels really good to have nearly one week finished. I've been having the junk food nightmares too, Karen! 

I'm going into this week with a well stocked fridge and freezer so that feels good. I made a batch of mayo last night (which I've had problems emulsifying in the past!) so I was able to make deviled eggs, broccoli salad and next will try using some for ranch dressing and tartar sauce. 

We ate brunch with our friends this morning and I brought along compliant sweet potato and potato pancakes, thinking there would be plain eggs to eat with them but the eggs had cheese so I fried myself an egg in my friend's kitchen! I hope she didn't mind or think it was rude, I didn't say in advance I was doing whole30 cause I didn't want to be a burden... I think it was ok, but turning down food or social invites is the hardest part of whole30 for me. (Also date nights are less fun when the only destination is chipotle!)

I have tried to do this 3rd round so many times and not made it the full 30 days but it feels like it's going really well this time and it just feels like there's space in my life to do it right now. I tried when I was pregnant (I made it 24 days) and many times since I had my baby, but I think now that she's a year things feel calm enough for me spend time and energy on a whole30. Really grateful and it sure helps that there's a beach vacation waiting for me at the end of this round!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a dream that I cheated and had cookies last night. Woke up thinking it was pretty funny that the whole "dreaming about cheating" was real. Went shopping this weekend to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. Found Riced Cauliflower at TJ's in the produce sections. What a time saver. We had spanish cauliflower with ground beef last night that was great and filling. Also found some sugar free smoked salmon and bacon and Whole Foods. Excited to try some new recipes this week. 

So good to know week 1 is already done!!

Happy Day 7! I feel good about how the week went. I ran into a lot of temptation and was able to overcome it. Going out with family and friends discourages me a little bit and I find myself not completely satisfied with my meals, but I'm excited for a new week and new recipes. I'm still feeling pretty tired most of the time so I am also looking forward to gaining more energy this coming week! Hope everyone has a successful weekend!

Definitely was NOT in the mood to make a whole30 dinner tonight, I was feeling a little nauseous (probably needed to eat more at lunchtime today and had just taken my girls for long walk in the sun) but I pushed through and made a really good meal that I ended up really enjoying- salmon cakes, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, kale chips and fried apples. My first 2 rounds of whole30 didn't include white potatoes and while I'm trying not to overdo it, they really help me round out my meals on nights like tonight. 
I say this EVERY time but I love how healthy my daughters and husband eat while I'm doing a whole30! They aren't participating but they sure are benefitting. Thrilled me to see my picky one year old eating salmon and my 3 year old said the kale chips are her favorite! 

I'm no slouch normally (basically out of necessity, my girls are busy!) but I do think I've got more energy today...my baby has had me up a lot at night but I stayed busy today, took my girls for a 3.5 mile walk, and just now finished cleaning and mopping my kitchen and dining room, so, I'd say that's an increase in energy for me! 

Hi all. I'm back after day 8, no ravenous cravings or crazy dreams, but I'm in the tired. of. eggs!!! phase and looking for alternative breakfast options? I'm also going to be traveling the holiday weekend without access to a refrigerator (we'll carry a cooler and plenty of ice), so I'm interested in people's ideas on staying compliant. We usually have one "nice" meal out on these trips (and I'm confident I can navigate a restaurant menu -- after helping to choose a restaurant I can work with to start). The remainder of meals we pick up "to go" at the grocery store... and this trip the deli counter and dairy case aren't going to work. 

Day 9 is here. I am feeling a bit tired today and haven't had much of an appetite today. Probably mostly because of my allergies.  Keeping on plan has been pretty easy for me. I made a make ahead breakfast casserole last night for the week and its quite good. The biggest things I am missing though are coffee creamer and sweetened drinks. As a long time soda drinker its a hard one to quit and sometimes I look at my glass of water with utter disgust  :angry: . With it being the holiday weekend coming up we have had some family want to get together. So I offered our place for a bbq so that I can control the menu for my family. This should make it much easier to navigate. Hope everyone has an awesome week 2!!

• Moderators

Hi all. I'm back after day 8, no ravenous cravings or crazy dreams, but I'm in the tired. of. eggs!!! phase and looking for alternative breakfast options? I'm also going to be traveling the holiday weekend without access to a refrigerator (we'll carry a cooler and plenty of ice), so I'm interested in people's ideas on staying compliant. We usually have one "nice" meal out on these trips (and I'm confident I can navigate a restaurant menu -- after helping to choose a restaurant I can work with to start). The remainder of meals we pick up "to go" at the grocery store... and this trip the deli counter and dairy case aren't going to work. 

Anything you can eat for any other meal works great for your first meal of the day -- leftovers are easy, or make ahead grilled chicken or burger patties, pair them with a big heap of roasted vegetables and some mayo or guacamole. Or change up your eggs -- maybe make some Egg Foo Young-ish if you usually stick to plain fried or scrambled eggs, or get really fancy with this salmon benedict.

For those grocery store meals -- many stores will have pre cooked hard boiled eggs, either in the deli or sometimes in with the other eggs. You can also usually find canned tuna or salmon. Bags of salad greens, containers of cherry tomatoes, pre cut carrots and celery, and whatever other vegetables look good, and you can have a good salad, just buy a bottle of olive oil and some good balsamic vinegar or a few lemons or limes to make a basic dressing. If you have a place to cook (even a grill at a picnic site) you could do burgers (bunless, obviously) or grilled chicken.

Thanks for the links Shannon, I'll definitely check them out!

So... day 9... and thankfully I seem to have skipped the kill all the things and need a nap phases, and my clothes still fit. I'll take all of those as positives. I'm working my way through leftovers, so meal planning is pretty easy. Despite my egg aversion, breakfast was 3 scrambled eggs with onion, avocado and tomato. Lunch was a can of tuna with Melissa's mayo, avocado, tomato, cucumber and roasted red pepper. And for dinner I made a big salad bowl with spring greens, avocado (sensing a theme here?), cherry tomato, apple, pumpkin seed and leftover pork tenderloin, with a compliant homemade vinaigrette. I'm having no problem sustaining my energy for the 5-6 hours between meals, and the overwhelming urge to raid the refrigerator, the cabinets, and then head to the store in the mid evening has disappeared. There's another "non scale victory"

Day 10!!!  I'm amazed to have made it this far.  By now, though, I've invested so much $ in almond flour, arrowroot powder, coconut flour, coconut milk, coconut aminos, coconut oil, (I'm grateful for my love of coconut!), etc.  that I'm pretty sure I'm here for the whole 30 (get it?)

My mood is good, and except for muscle cramps at night (for which I will try Natural Calm, thanks to advice on this forum) I'm feeling really good-- definitely more energy and waking easier in the morning.

I've been spending a WHOLE lot of time cooking.  The recipes I've tried and loved from the book are: Grilled Coconut-Curry Chicken, Cod With Mushroom and Red Pepper Relish, Cauliflower Mash (never thought I'd get my husband on board with this one, but he liked it too), and Asian Turkey Meatballs.   All winners that I will keep in rotation.

I also tried ( and didn't care for): Coconut Cauliflower Rice, Spinach Frittata, and the No-Fuss Salmon Cakes.  I'll be looking for another compliant recipe for salmon cakes, because they make such a convenient lunch, especially with the tartar sauce made from the homemade mayo.

I've subbed plain seltzer for my diet coke and those cravings are almost gone.  I've discovered almond butter, which is just as good on celery as my beloved peanut butter.  I've developed a taste for scrambled eggs (with clarified butter).  And I really haven't missed bread as much as I thought I would.

All in all, a good nine days so far.  This forum is making a big difference for me-- so much info and help and support right here.  Oh, and I subscribed to the daily email, which is ridiculously helpful in terms of motivation.  Pushing that little "I completed another day" and then seeing whatever silly video they send in reply is something I look forward to.  

Thanks! 

Hi Everybody,

I too am a bit late in the game in joining and really appreciate the community here. So far so good.

My wife and I started on Sunday May 15th but later discovered our Chipotle Bowl was not compliant. So our official start date was May 16th.

I was hit hard on day 1. A splitting headache woke me up at 4am. At 7am the headache continued with a fever/chills and dizziness. It all went away by noon. 

Generally for the first 8 days I had a fullness and hunger was not an issue. After day 8 I started to crave salty junk and other non-compliant food. Then I would mentally "eat" and see myself having an upset stomach. No food dreams yet  :P

The hardest part so far besides the areas  (lower back, knees and shoulder) I've injured myself in the past coming back in the form of soreness is my eczema. The eczema flared up with a vengeance. I was drinking an Asian herbal tea that helped my immune system keep the eczema at bay. I understand herbal teas are allowed, but this one is a very potent and different type and wanted to be off dependency.  I am absolutely sure coming off the tea contributed to my splitting headache.

I so am looking forward to repairing my leaky gut. 

Wishing everyone success!

I haven't planned my meals as well this week so I've been relying on fruit more. I have to get this in check.

Good news is my cousin is on board with the Whole30 and has recruited a few others. This weekend, my husband and I will visit her and meal prep. She's a little lost and my husband could use the exposure (he eats meals I make but eats crap otherwise, and when he cooks, it's a million questions so it's not relaxing for me...). I'm excited to share the task and have a week of ready meals to take home with me!

So I was trying to figure out a meal that the kids would love tonight. And I hit it out of the park. My son said it is one of his new favorites. I bought chicken breast tenders, I dipped them in egg and then dipped them in a mixture of almond meal, garlic powder, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. I then baked them at 375 until they were crispy.  They ended up being amazing and hit the spot for everyone. If you are looking for something new, you should give it a try. I also pre-made some breakfast items today like a sweet potato hash and sausage mix that I can just warm in the mornings and throw in some eggs and scramble up. 

Last nights dinner was a flop, it was pork carnitas in the crock pot. No one liked them and we will not be making them again!! 

Hope everyone is doing great!!

@carebearmama79 thanks for the chicken idea, that sounds so good and I was planning on making something similar! Funny, I just made crockpot kalua pork and it is not appealing to me, even added a post to the "Troubleshooting your whole30" forum! Have you ever tried this recipe for carnitas: 

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/carnitas-braised-and-fried-pork-364389

I have had fantastic success with it. 

We made it 1/3 of the way! Congrats to everyone! @carebearmama79 your chicken recipe sounds delicious. My boyfriend loves chicken tenders and would love to have him try them with a new twist. I feel a little sluggish still and not super motivated to liven up my cooking but I'm hoping I am able to find a little motivation to start to incorporate a little more exercise into my schedule, hoping the will boost my energy levels and inspire me to try some new recipes. 

Hope everyone continues to have a good week!

Hey everyone, hope you have a great weekend. Today put our girls in bathing suits, packed a compliant picnic lunch and drove over a half hour to a pool the internet said was open today, but it was closed. Alas, we ended up wading in a shallow creek and had a great day anyways. I had pistachios, olives, carrot sticks, and a nectarine by the creek, it felt so good to have some good things to nibble on while the girls had their own treats. Still battling food fatigue and SUPER not into this enormous batch of kalua pork I made, I think I'm gonna freeze it. 

The grocery store was nuts today and all the excitement of people getting ready for Memorial Day parties made me want to go nuts and buy filet mignon or scallops for a treat but I'm sticking to my menu :)

On to day 13!

It's awfully quiet in here! Hope everyone is doing well, happy day 15! I'm getting tired of eggs but have some delicious food planned for the week and I love supplementing our meals with herbs, kale and lettuce from my garden! 

Definitely starting to feel like clothes are fitting a little better and having pretty good energy. Doing this round has helped me realize how much of my kids food I finish or taste at every meal, yikes, I'm sure that adds up! 

I am finding it SO MUCH EASIER to do whole30 this time of year, all the fresh fruit and produce is inspiring!

So proud of myself for making it halfway and all of you should be too!  :D

I went out with friends last night and it was tough when they got wings for appetizers and other yummy non-compliant meals but I enjoyed my spicy grilled shrimp salad with lime juice for dressing.

I can't believe how much belly fat I've lost in two weeks. Even though my will has been tested lately, I'm motivated by what the next 15 days can bring! I feel happier and less stressed overall, and I definitely have more energy. I'm notorious for sleeping late on the weekends but I have been waking up much early, naturally, without feeling like I need to roll over and go back to sleep.

Great to hear things are going well! I'm finding my fat pants are too loose and a few of my next size down are fitting. Yay! Went to my cousins to cook a few meals, so it was nice to eat well for a few meals and show off the tasty food we still get to eat.

I'm thinking I need to continue on with a whole-something after these 30 days. I have a ways to go before I get into my skinny jeans. I know this plan isn't about weight loss - it's about health and relationship to food. But when I'm healthy and have a healthy food relationship, the weight starts falling off!

Good Morning Everyone!! Well today is day 17. So far so great! I have been feeling really amazing the last couple of days. Lots of energy and great sleep. This past few days has me very excited about the changes I am noticing in my body. I have suffered from chronic joint paint for years with no doctors finding a diagnosis as to what causes it. They have thought it might be early onset auto immune. However I have had no joint pain in the past 7 days!!! I went for my first run in quite awhile yesterday and I was happy to find that I wasn't sore at all this morning and I am ready to hit the pavement again. The cravings are finally gone and I no longer miss snacking. I really think that I might make my Whole30 a Whole60 and go from there. 

I hope everyone is having a great time and feeling that TIGER BLOOD!

@carebearmama79 that's awesome about the disappearing joint pain! I'm also enjoying having some extra energy (although I wish I was spending it working out instead of cleaning after my kids go to bed!). I am planning to do a whole40 which will be lead up until my family goes up north to spend time with my inlaws and a little trip to the beach. I've been thinking HARD about what to reintroduce after this round. I love the idea of *not* reintroducing foods you previously thought of as "healthy" if you don't miss them. I definitely feel better when I eat less dairy and I think I'm finally ready to say goodbye to cream in my coffee for good. 

Keep on Keepin' on! 

Happy Day 20! Congrats to everyone who has made it this far! I am feeling great this week. My energy levels have gotten much better and my mood has totally improved. Physically my body has gone through a lot of pretty drastic changes. I'm excited to compare my before and after pictures on Day 31. I have been contemplating how I want my reintroduction process to go. The book mentions a fast pace reintroduction and a slower pace reintroduction. 10 days after my Day 30 I am going on vacation and I have not decided if doing the quicker reintroduction makes more sense. However, I want to basically live a Whole30 lifestyle and I am not planning on reintroducing a lot of the foods that I have cut out of my diet. How is everyone else planning on reintroducing themselves? Have a great weekend!

Woohoo day 20 in complete. This is the longest I have followed any plan with out any cheating. I am loving the changes. I plan on doing a slow reintroduction because I have a lot of digestive issues and I want to see how each thing really effects me. 

Have a great rest of your week!!

Hey guys, Happy day 25! I am really doing well this round and it has flown by. The first 2 rounds I did didn't include white potatoes (it was before they were included) and having them has been so helpful this time! Trying not to overdo it but using them to feel full and fend off cravings for sure. 

Since starting this round my husband and I have been trying to take weekly dates...something we hadn't been doing since our second daughter was born. Date nights used to involve alcohol, cheese plates and desserts, totally treating ourselves since it happened so rarely... now my husband is doing keto and I'm doing whole30 so we're finding new ways to indulge on date night, tonight we're going to culver's for lettuce wrapped burgers and then going to a nearby waterfall. Last week it was plain wings (with sauce brought from home) and celery at Buffalo Wild Wings. I really shied away from eating out the last 2 rounds but I am starting to feel a little more comfortable now that I've found a couple decent choices relatively close to home. Although I would prefer to be eating Thai, Indian or sushi, I like that I can be sure of what ingredients are present when I eat at a chain restaurant. Once my whole30 is over we'll probably go back to our favorite places with modified orders. I'm planning to do a whole40 (right up until our vacation, eek!) but I'm still really excited to weigh myself and take measurements at the end of my 30 days! As for reintroduction, I am skipping that this time... We visit PA just 2 times a year and I don't want to miss my favorite treats while I'm up there. I know from other rounds what affects me poorly (dairy, sob) and after vacation will go back to eating paleo (gluten free, limited dairy)... or I may do another round! 

Happy Day 30! Congrats to everyone that made it this far! I am feeling great and don't plan on returning to my old eating habits. I plan to move on through new recipes that are geared more towards Whole30 standards and am looking to become more fit through different activities that will keep an active lifestyle. Congrats again!

Congrats to you @Mglawe! I am happy this round went well for you! Congratulations to everyone else! That went pretty fast, right? Looking forward to stepping on the scale and taking measurements tomorrow! 

Archived