ALL Tessemae or Just Some?

doctrmidnite

Currently prepping for my Whole30 starting June 1!  The fact that Tessemae dressings and sauces are compliant are throughout the entire book and I just ordered a six pack which arrived yesterday.  I got Hot Buffalo, Matty's BBQ, Ranch, Southwest Ranch, Caeser and Ketchup.

In looking over the bottles something odd caught my eye.  All of the bottles have a "Whole30 Approved" logo on the label EXCEPT the Southwest Ranch and the Hot Buffalo.  There are 0g sugar in each and both appear on the approved products page on their site. 

Should I have any reason to believe these two are not compliant?

Read the ingredients. There may be something (like soy or a minuscule amount of sweetener) that makes it not compliant. The nutrition label won't tell you that.

ETA: if everything is compliant in the ingredients, then enjoy! :)

• Moderators

How so?

Whole30 is only concerned with added sugar/sweeteners listed in the ingredients list. Grams of sugar in the nutrition info tells you nothing about that -- things with something like splenda could show 0 grams, but still not be OK for whole30. Or you could have something like canned tomatoes that have no added sugar and are compliant, but because tomatoes have naturally occurring sugars, the nutrition info will show several grams of sugar per serving.

How so?

What makes something compliant is the ingredients. Things like dates, fruit, vegetables, etc have naturally occurring sugars that have to be recorded on the nutrition label legally. Things like stevia, a not compliant ingredient, would have 0 sugar but the item would be non compliant.

My advice, unless advised by a doctor for medical reasons, IGNORE NUTRITION LABELS! Focus on making sure all the INGREDIENTS are compliant.

All the above is true and it's definitely good to read the labels... but, I just ordered this pack of sauces myself recently and unless they've changed something, the two you listed are compliant ;)

These are the Whole30 approved ones: http://www.tessemaes.com/collections/all/whole30-approved

An example of one that isn't is the Green Goddess: http://www.tessemaes.com/products/organic-green-goddess (in the ingredients you'll see it contains soy)

It lacks the Whole30 approved logo on the product page, but always read the labels, websites can change and so can products. 

Ive had a hard time with the Tessamae's dressings; I bought the Caesar, Ranch, and Southwest Ranch. I feel like no matter how much I shake them, they are still chunky and thick. And the ranch is super vinegary with a weird aftertaste? Does anyone else have this issue? 

Thick dressing is a good thing... chunky, not so much... do you take them out of the fridge about 30 min before wanting to use, or alternatively stick the jar in a glass of warm water?

Hmmm...i never thought of that! Ill have to try that next time :)

• Moderators

Check the label,I'm pretty sure there's instructions on how to use it... olive oil hardens at colder temps so that's why it gets hard and chunky... so you either have to plan ahead and take it out of the fridge or 'melt' it some other way in the bottle...

• Moderators

I love the balsamic, I noticed it has sunflower oil in it which I didn't think was compliant. I am a bit confused about that. Any help would be apreciated Thank you!!

This is the official stance from the Can I Have list:

Safflower/Sunflower Oil: Yesreluctantly (because sometimes, you have to dine out)

While we don’t think vegetable oils are a healthy choice (understatement of the century), we don’t expressly rule them out on the Whole30. If we did, you’d never be able to eat outside of your own kitchen, because all restaurants use them in cooking. We wanted to create the healthiest program possible, but we also need it to be do-able for those who travel for business or pleasure, or simply want to dine out during the month.

Tip: Eliminate the consumption of vegetable oils at home, even if you’re not on the Whole30, and make sure the rest of your diet is focused on the most nutritious choices possible, especially if you dine out frequently.

So, don't use it as your primary fat source, for sure, but it's not totally off limits.

• 1 month later...

So now that  all Tessemae's dressings are completely made with Sunflower oil, I am really not sure they should have the Whole30 approved label.  I used them exclusively for my salads at lunch, but now I am reluctant to do so...  I used to use them for adding zip to my dinners as well.  I am really kind of bummed that they switched, even if it was a pain to put them on the counter before lunch to melt the olive oil.  I know that you can use sunflower oil, but I dont think I should be eating it every day anymore :(  This was one of the "easy" things about doing a whole30 (because nothing about cooking was easy the first time around lol).  So... what is the thought behind the change?  Does anyone know?  

I know on Amazon they have a 3 or 4 pack of salad dressings saying Whole30 approved, but the label on the french dressing says it does have a few grams of sugar, so it would not be recommended for Whole30.

• Moderators

I know on Amazon they have a 3 or 4 pack of salad dressings saying Whole30 approved, but the label on the french dressing says it does have a few grams of sugar, so it would not be recommended for Whole30.

That depends -- many things have naturally occurring sugars, so the nutrition info lists grams of sugar. What would make it off limits for Whole30 is if the ingredients list actually lists sugar or honey or other sweeteners.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

So now that  all Tessemae's dressings are completely made with Sunflower oil, I am really not sure they should have the Whole30 approved label.  I used them exclusively for my salads at lunch, but now I am reluctant to do so...  I used to use them for adding zip to my dinners as well.  I am really kind of bummed that they switched, even if it was a pain to put them on the counter before lunch to melt the olive oil.  I know that you can use sunflower oil, but I dont think I should be eating it every day anymore :(  This was one of the "easy" things about doing a whole30 (because nothing about cooking was easy the first time around lol).  So... what is the thought behind the change?  Does anyone know?  

Sorry this took so long, another member pointed me to an article that discussed the sunflower oil specifically. 

http://whole30.com/2016/01/tessemaes-organic/

Tessemae's dressings use high oleic sunflower oil which has an almost identical nutritional profile to olive oil. High oleic sunflower oil can be used for making homemade mayo too. The change actually seems to have come at the advice of Melissa and Dallas. The quote below is copied from http://whole30.com/2016/01/tessemaes-organic/

"

Some of your dressings now include sunflower oil in addition to olive oil.  Why did you need to make that change?

Yeah, we knew this one could potentially cause the most concern amongst our core consumers, so we didn’t take this decision lightly. Here is the full breakdown… we came into this process looking to solve for three primary goals: first, to become 100% USDA Organic; second, to maintain our current taste; and three, to improve our ease of use. In working through the R&D process we could solve for number one using organic olive oil, however, number two and three always fell short. Consequently, through the research we conducted, plus the advice we received from trusted partners (cough, cough… Whole30) we found that 100% organic, high oleic sunflower seed oil* in combination with an organic extra virgin olive oil allowed us to elevate our quality, maintain our flavor, and improve our usage because we no longer congeal when chilled.

*”High oleic” means the sunflower seeds are bred to have a much higher percentage of heart-healthy monounsaturated fat,  and a much lower percentage of potentially inflammatory polyunsaturated fat. This process of seed selection means the fat profile of high-oleic sunflower oil is almost the same as that of extra-virgin olive oil. Note, this process of breeding seeds is not the same as genetic modifiation. For more information on high-oleic sunflower oil, click here."

• Administrators

So...sunflower oil for home cooking/eating isn't acceptable when it comes to non-Tessemae's products, but as long as they are Tessemae's, it *is* acceptable? Hmmm....

Please read through the actual article. The part to pay attention to is "high oleic".

You can also find reference to high oleic sun/safflower oil being acceptable in this article: http://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations/- the point to note:  But don’t stress about using high-oleic safflower or sunflower oil in your homemade mayo

Archived