Started Friday the 13th

ftroopmom

I jumped in yesterday and am finishing up day 2.  I didn't prepare very well for this, but I don't typically eat gluten, dairy, or alcohol.  I definitely have a sugar dragon living inside me.

I was at a swim meet all day, 6 am - 2:30 pm.  Breakfast was a banana and some almond butter.  mid morning snack was a chia seed/greens in a squeeze pack.  It had all good ingredients, but wasn't my favorite thing I ever ate.  The chia seeds did hold me through the meet.  I went through the Chick Fil A drive through and ordered grilled chicken on a salad minus the corn and cheese.  In typical drive through fashion, they put cheese on it.  I picked through it, ate the chicken and tomatoes, and then threw it out.  I normally would eat at home, but I was famished and heat exhausted from being in the sun all day.

I have a list for the grocery store tomorrow.  Going to try week 1 of Well Fed.  Looks mostly doable.

My real issues with eating are my many allergies.  I have to rotate food because I am allergic to so much that I would not eat a varied diet if I never the foods I am sensitive to.  I can not have raw nuts. Nor raw apples, peaches, or nectarines.  Cooked or roasted I can do, but never almonds or macademia nuts.

I am also sensitive to eggs.  I have had 4 meals with eggs since yesterday, so I will be happy to make up a few other things to eat.  

Anyhoo...I am 50 years old.  I am an ultramarathoner and ironman currently not training for anything more than a half marathon.  I have 6 kids and 3 grandkids.  We are a very active family.  I am doing this alone because no one else wants to give up ice cream.  :)

I am on day 5 and noticing a few things.  First of all,coffee isn't so horrible without stevia.  I have actually decreased my coffee to  cups rather than 4 or  5 and feel less draggy.  I have also noticed yesterday and today that I wake up HUNGRY!  This is unusual for me.  If ever I have awoken hungry, I would drink a few cups of coffee and maybe have a small bowl of oatmeal or a piece of fruit and then not eat to 3 or 4, with a sudden crash and impulse to eat tons of sugar.

I am finding I am reaching for fruit often.  I am keeping my eye on this and trying to remember to grab something else.  Last night after dinner, fully of veggies and protein, I "needed" something sweet to feel as though I was finished with my meal.  I ate a handful of raisins, whole 30 approved.  Then I felt satisfied.  

Anyone else have any tricks on how to get over that sugar "need"?  Overall, I feel good.   Only instinct to kill was when I had to go through the grocery store and walk past the bakery and container of dark chocolate almonds that were calling my name!

I find that a little extra fat (like some guacamole and celery sticks) keeps me full and keeps away the sugar dragon. I have a really bad one, too! Plus, I only have two portions of fruit per day. If I eat any more than that, I think my cravings wouldn't go away. I have noticed that the fruit I eat now is so sweet and satisfies my sweet tooth. I've been wondering lately why I reach for cookies and candy in the past when the pineapple is so sweet and tastes so good.

I, too, have changed my coffee habits. Before it would be coffee with cream, and I was surprised to find that I could actually drink it plain and enjoy it. It's crazy what cutting out processed food and dairy will do to our tastebuds.

I'm currently on day 10 and am struggling with breakfast. I guess we go through a series of battles before it becomes easier. Keep up the good work!

Thanks, KZabo!  I definitely am being blessed with the opportunity to look at my relationship with food, especially sugar.  I went yeast free, sugar free 2 years ago for 9 months and when I went off of it, there was sugar to be eaten.  The nutritionist I was working with at the time allowed me to eat small amounts of sugar, no more than 5 mg per meal, and sold me on stevia which took over my coffee creamer addiction.  

I am not enjoying the coffee as much, but I still drink it.  This morning I had a moment where I really, really wanted that stevia, but I didn't succumb.  LOL  Day 6!!

Day 13 and still going!  I have a weird stomach bug that left me in bed yesterday and today, lots of stomach pain.  Especially after I eat.  Am seeing more of my relationship with sugar and my dependence upon it even though I thought I was eating fairly clean.  

My nemesis is currently in the pantry...Limon Potato Chips.  I barely want one.  Weird.  I also am not enjoying the taste of coffee.  Water is good.  Warm lemon water is good too.  

Almost at the halfway mark.  I do find I spend a lot of time in the kitchen which is keeping me from other things, but overall, everything is good.  

I am on Day 18 and feeling better.  I though I had a stomach bug, and maybe I did, but the weird stomach pain continued and still occurs.  Last night I also noticed a foul odor in my urine...tmi, I know, coupled with a metallic taste in my mouth the last few days.  I am not taking my vitamins because I didn't want to deal with whether or not they were Whole30 compliant, so I stopped them until I can figure it all out.  

After a small amount of research, ie, googling, I seem to be in ketosis.  I am not exactly sure if this is a good thing or not overall, but I do see it as a success in at least two ways.

1.  I am burning fat!

2.  I am not over eating fruit anymore to compensate for my sugar dependence.

I woke up and ate a sweet potato first thing this morning.  In reviewing my meals, I see they were all high protein meals, (and I thought fat, but maybe not) so adding in a carb in the veggie form will be my goal this week.  

I have not weighed myself or taken measurements, but I feel smaller.  My waist seems more defined.  My hands are not as swollen and I can get my rings on more easily.  I am feeling more energy.  Not huge amounts, but not the need to have coffee constantly.  

I don't know about the reintroduction part of this program.  I need to read more about it.  I have been off of alcohol, gluten and dairy for a few years.  Not sure I want to reintroduce them.  But I could try a few things, likes oats, quinoa, rice, and butter.  I do love ice cream...

Today is my daughter's graduation party.  It will be hard to not eat the party food.  I need to pack my own bag of food and not be self-conscious about it.  I have been known as the "high-maintenance" one for awhile, but I think the way I eat makes others uncomfortable.  I want to be discrete about this so as not to be the center of conversation at her party.

• Moderators

I have been known as the "high-maintenance" one for awhile, but I think the way I eat makes others uncomfortable. 

You're only 'high maintenance' if you're expecting others to maintain you.  Bringing your own food is not exactly groundbreaking and it shouldn't be the topic of conversation... do you best to blow them off...  Everyone gets to choose how they eat and what they put in their body and that doesn't make you high maintenance, it makes you empowered.

Day 21 and feeling good!  I don't know about Tiger blood, but I am feeling good.  Which I haven't felt in a long, long time.  If the rains would quit, I might even see a rise in my running mileage!

I am looking ahead to what happens at day 31.  Why would I want to go back to how I was feeling?  Why would I want to introduce sugar again?  Aside from my daughter's graduation party and the "ice cream" time with my family, I haven't really missed it.  Not enough to go back to it anyway.  

So, do I have to stop Whole 30?  Is there a way to balance it some?  Not really sure how this will go.  I don't eat most grains, I don't drink alcohol, and I don't do dairy, aside from ice cream from time to time.  Sugar is my issue now.  And I don't want to bring it in.  Not as a hidden ingredient, not as a daily treat.  

Maybe this will be longer than 30 days for me.  

• Moderators

You can definitely choose to go longer than 30 days but it is not recommended to just 'plan to go forever'.  That is not reasonable, realistic or sustainable... at some point, you do need to do re-introductions.  If you never ever plan on eating a food group again (soy for me) then you don't have to test it... but if you think you might want ice cream in summer, or pie on your birthday, then you need to reintroduce grains and dairy (in this example) to know what the reaction is and if it's worth it.

You CAN go a long long time without adding back sugar and it's one of those things that is impossible to test on its own, so we recommend that you test the other items without sugar... then you'll know how sugar affects you...

For example, to test dairy, you can use milk in your coffee or cheese on your eggs... once you know how dairy on its own affects you, then you will have an easier time with knowing how sugared up dairy is the same or different.  Bear in mind, with ice cream there are a number of gut disruptors that are included that aren't just dairy and sugar.. carageenan is a huge one, there's often soy and other chemicals involved so if you have a reaction to ice cream that you didn't to straight dairy in different forms, that could be why.

For now, you can keep going if you want and start thinking about what you might like to have once in a while... maybe you want to know how wheat affects you because there's an amazing burger place at your summer vacation spot that you look forward to every year... just knowing how grains affect you doesn't mean you need to eat them all the time but when you DO go to indulge, you'll know what the effect is.

Does that help?

Absolutely it helps!  I do know that I have allergies to many items.  So I have had a very restrictive diet up until I just quit caring because it didn't seem to be making a difference.  

Dairy, wheat, oats, corn, soy, ancient grains, nuts, fruits, even eggs.  They taught me to do the "rotation" approach to eating.  But after awhile, I just kind of gave up.  I mean, a girl's gotta eat!  LOL

I do think that the sugar and additives are the main culprit.  Reading more on the re-intro program.  Thinking maybe I will plan to do 3 whole 30's per year.

Archived