desserts

satinstorm

Is having a bowel of frozen berries and bananas OK after dinner?

Is having a protein ball made with whole30 compliant foods OK to eat?  or is that SWPO

Is it OK to eat a couple of dates as a snack?

How much fruit can I eat in a day?

I'm two weeks into the Whole30 program and I'm desperate for something sweet!! Please Help!!

Ok, a protein ball made out of compliant ingredients is definitely SWYPO.

Dates as a snack is not recommended - dates are as close as you can get to candy on W30 and hugely impact blood sugar, as well as keeping any sugar cravings alive. Build your meals big enough to keep you full for 4-5hrs so as there is no need to snack.

We'd recommend you limit fruit to 1-2 fist sized servings per day - eaten with, or as part of, a meal - so yes, some berries and a banana after one meal would be okay.

If you've a serious sugar dragon to battle you might want to consider finishing a meal with something else that will work equally well to cleanse the palate such as some olives, a mouthful or two of sauerkraut, or anything pickled....

If you're desperate for something sweet, eat fat - a spoonful of mac nut oil or coconut oil, or a mouthful of olives - NEVER feed a craving. Would you give a screaming toddler that blue bubblegum ice cream with coloured sprinkles & strawberry syrup they want? I think not  ;)

• Moderators

I'm giggling about having a "bowel" full of frozen berries and bananas instead of a bowl! I guess one leads to the other!

LOL! That's my favorite typo... I posted almost the same response and was giggling like a child when I saw it a few weeks ago ;)

I so badly need my bowels full of frozen berries and bananas after dinner and thank the lord I can :D  OK I'll put the dates and the protein balls back in the fridge and wait patiently until the end of the program.

Thanks for the advice on olives and sauerkraut, I'll give it a try. 

My sugar dragon is massive, I'm 20 days in and yesterday I felt so deprived and miserable that I almost quit but then I thought I've got this far.... 

My sugar dragon is massive, I'm 20 days in and yesterday I felt so deprived and miserable that I almost quit but then I thought I've got this far.... 

I'd bet good money you're not eating enough fat....

I had that same sugar dragon about Day 14, I'm starting day 22 today. I think what jmcbn said about fat is true. If you don't eat enough, you'll crave the sweets. I don't eat meat and sometimes chicken and fish don't have enough fat.

So, I've been having a few more nuts in my salads and stir fry veggies plus instead of scrambled eggs, I'll have egg salad or deviled eggs with compliant mayo, a few apple slices with a little almond butter to up the fat.

Try that and I bet your sweet cravings will subside.

Any suggestion on end of meal foods for teens not on whole 30? I am slowly edging them to healthy weather they know it or not.

There's absolutely no reason why they couldn't have fruit & coconut cream/milk. It's both healthy & nutritious - some people just choose to avoid it during their Whole30 because it ignites the sugar cravings

One of the things people also love about dessert is the ritual.

It often comes in special containers, has it's own bowls/glassware, etc, it's an event, a punctuation of the day.

Replacing it with another ritual can be just as satisfying. If it's something you like to share with others, try playing a quick game of cards, working for a few minutes on a big puzzle, trying a new tea or even prepping parts of your breakfast/lunch for tomorrow.

I am a big fan of English Tea Shop herbal teas. I never drink them in a hurry, they are teas only for slow enjoyment and some I keep only for the evenings, so they're a more special end to the day.

Archived