Gravy

guajardocristina

• Moderators

Packets will certainly have non-compliant ingredients, so you cannot use them. Gravy is not essential. Try recipes that do not call for gravy. The point of a Whole30 is to try new things. 

• Moderators

Can I make brown or chicken gravy from the packets? If not how do I make gravy replacement or something???

Most packets in the store contain off-plan ingredients (if you're not sure what those are, check out the rules, the Can I Have list, the Sneaky Sugars guide, and the Common Additives Cheat Sheet).

You'll need to find recipes to make things like gravy -- here's one recipe that is compliant. It may be easiest to look for completely different sauce ideas, rather than trying to recreate your old favorites, at least at first, because it's unlikely that it will taste the same as what you're used to. Toward the end of your Whole30, then maybe try a gravy, when your tastes have started changing some. Until then, try some of the recipes here or here or here. (Those first two are linked specifically to those sites' Whole30 recipes, other recipes on the sites may not be okay for Whole30. The third site is all 100% Whole30.)

try to make a 'sauce' instead - take the meat out of the pan, pour some of the cooking water from your veg, into the pan (this is called deglazing) - still over the heat, stir, and all the lovely sticky juicy bits in the pan will dissolve into the water.  This is a sauce in it's most basic form - pour over your food.

you can leave it on the heat for a while to thicken, or you can add other compliant ingredients to alter the texture/flavour to suit.

before packet gravy, this is how gravy was made.

Archived