Question about a smoothie

KZabo

I am currently on Day 10 of my first Whole30, and if I eat another egg for breakfast, I feel like I may vomit. I have tried chia seeds in coconut milk, but I am not getting any vegetables or protein with it (and since I love the combination of chia, mango, coconut, and lime, I can seriously overeat it - so I think it is better for me to stay away). I thought I would drift into the unrecommended territory of smoothies.

All smoothie recipes I see that have Whole30 attached to them seem to miss the point with being very high in fruit content, so I wanted to get your opinion on one I have created and see if you think it would be OK to throw into the breakfast rotation every few days.

1 cup approved almond milk

1 banana

1 thumb sized portion of almond butter

1 scoop Bulletproof collagen protein (pasture raised, no sugar, no additives, etc.)

1 handful spinach

1 handful kale

2 tbsp. Cacao powder

I think I have rounded out the portions ok - one fat from the nut butter, 2 veggies, 1 protein (from the collagen protein) and one serving of my two allowable fruits per day.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Why not just have some other kind of food for breakfast? Sausage and veggies? Chicken and veggies? I went an entire week having steak (it was on sale!) and green beans for breakfast because I didn't want any more eggs. 

The thing with smoothies is that they don't really convince your body that you've eaten anything. The act of chewing is a huge signal to your body to be on the lookout for food and to start getting digestion ready. So by drinking everything, you aren't telling your body to expect food, you're telling it to expect beverage.

None of the Whole30 smoothie recipes you found seemed to miss the point because there are no Whole30 approved smoothie recipes. They are hugely discouraged because drinking your food rather than chewing it gives a different satiety signal (it's the act of chewing which kick starts the production of digestive enzymes) and you are likely to feel hungry much sooner.

Also nut butters are fine for adding to coffee/tea, but not for drinking by the glass.

Yes, you've got protein, fat, fruit & veg but really we'd rather you chew your food.

Have you tried burgers? Curry? Blended soup with something like meatballs on the side...? Really, anything you can eat at meals two or three you can also eat at meal one - nowhere does it state that meal one has to include eggs.

I do understand what you are saying about drinking versus eating. Eating a plate of veggies with chicken first thing in the morning would be difficult for me to tolerate right now. Maybe on day 20, the idea will be easier.

Unfortunately your lack of appetite has coincided with the very hardest stage.... but NOT eating will only perpetuate the problem...

Really, you need to plate up a template meal, eat as much from it as you can ensuring you get a little of each food group, and then wrap up the remainder to eat as soon as you feel able - ie. NOT at your next meal, but as soon as you can stomach more. Your appetite will come back around again.

Honestly a sweet curry like a korma works well early in the morning, or a spicy parnsip soup with maybe some morrocan meatballs... I've no recipes to share as I make most of mine up as I go along, but think aromatic spices.... A burger (sans bun) with avocado & sliced tomato, pickled cucumber & onion works well too - or there's Mel Joulwan's elvis burger - burger topped with bacon, banana & sunbutter.....

You have to think outside of the box, and you really have to eat to get past this.

The korma sounds interesting! I'm glad to know that this is a stage I am going through that is typical, and I just have to get past this hump. I will abandon my smoothie and try your suggestions.

Thanks for the replies!

I'm on Day 17 and I'm tired of eggs as well. I eat more than a dozen a week.  I've been tempted by smoothies as well, but I know they aren't ok.

Many cultures do eat savory foods in the morning, so I'm trying.  Try something soft at first. You can make carrot or sweet potato puree with lots of cinnamon and a few walnuts or chia seeds. I try to eat a side of veggies too, like cucumbers and fresh spinach.

If you only drink a smoothie, you'll be starving before lunch, which is what got me into trouble in the first place.

Every other morning we have Aidells chicken & apple sausage for breakfast (with a big side of veggies, of course). I slice the links in half lengthwise and sauté them in some ghee to get them crispy on the outside, and then we dip it in homemade mayo (which can also go on the veggies). My husband LOVES "sausage day."

Archived