Pasteurised Eggs in northern england

Puckertoe

Really? I think the chances of getting salmonella from eggs is pretty minimal. I just buy supermarket lion stamped free range eggs, they are vaccinated against salmonella. Been eating raw egg mayo for 2 years and not got salmonella yet.

I think the last big salmonella outbreak in the UK was from contaminated Cadbury's chocolate ....

Thanks both...didn't know the hens get vaccinations! My memories of being told not to eat raw eggs goes back to the days of Edwina Curry,

I will investigate the how to pasteurise eggs info too, though I think it involves a microwave and I don't have.

egg pasteurisation requires 135 deg F for 75 minutes.  I know that eggs start to cook at 70 deg C, so you need very precise heat control to keep them warm enough to kill bacteria without getting to hot to cook the egg.

a sous vide /water bath type approach would work well, good luck if you try it.

Thanks both...didn't know the hens get vaccinations! My memories of being told not to eat raw eggs goes back to the days of Edwina Curry,

I will investigate the how to pasteurise eggs info too, though I think it involves a microwave and I don't have.

I think that Edwina Curry ultimately did the UK egg industry a huge favour in that salmonella has been virtually eliminated from commercially produced eggs.

• 2 weeks later...

This is going off the topic but I'm currently staying in Glasgow for two weeks and there is a Wholefoods Market up the road. They stock: coconut aminos £5.99 (contains coconut sugar but I bought anyway), sunflower butter, nitrate free bacon and compliant turkey breakfast sausages, in addition to grass fed meat etc. They also sell coconut kefir (havn't tried yet), different brands and flavors of raw sauerkraut and Kombucha. The other stores in the UK appear to be in Cheltenham and a few in London. Not a cheap store by any means but LOVE it anyway.

Archived