Struggling with enough energy to get me through my cycling classes!

Hi There!

I'm now on day 20 and I have noticed a number of great things!! Weight loss & sustained energy through the day are great.... My biggest problem is that I teach a number of cycling & aqua aerobics classes during the week, most days I have 2 hours of  cardio classes. The only time I've noticed a bit of a problem is when I teach my very high energy cycling classes. I think I'm bonking during class... NOT good when your teaching the class!! I always eat before class and my meals look a little like this:

Breakfast:

coffee w/ coconut milk

16oz or so of water 

3 whole eggs scrambled

raw spinach (uncooked) 2 big handfuls, it fills up my entire plate! 

1/4 of avocado 

I eat this about an hour before I teach cycle and I drink more water before & during class (usually about a liter)

I'm literally running to my next aqua class, so I only have time to shove a banana down the hatch before I teach again.

Then I come home & eat a lunch... 

I don't think I could eat anymore before my cycling class, or I will throw it back up!! Should I be doing something different with my breakfast? I notice my energy drops near the end of class, just a little past the half way mark. Before the Whole 30 I would only have a meal replacement protein shake & I was fine... I'm eating more real food now & bonking!!! I'm wondering if I should start to eat a carb of some kind before I go???? I don't want to go off the plan, so any suggestions to help me get through the class without wanting to pass out (yes, I've been getting a bit lightheaded as well)?? :(

Thank you for your help!!

• Moderators

It would help to know what your other meals look like as well for the day.

Just based on this, try replacing the banana between classes with a few bites of lean protein and some starchy vegetable.

You might need more fat at breakfast, especially if you're not using much coconut milk in your coffee. For avocados, a fat serving is half to a whole avocado, and for coconut milk, a serving is a quarter to a half a 14 oz can (so, 3.5-7 oz).

After you're done with your two classes, are you then having a post-workout meal of lean protein and starchy vegetable? This would be in addition to your other meals for the day.

Also remember to salt your food, if you're not already.

I take bike classes and have had some intermittent issues with "bonking" too.  I think that having a small starchy veg serving at dinner helps for the next day although in general I try to keep total carbs to less than 80-100/day so that I can stay fat-adapted. I only have a pre-WO snack because I exercise very early and I find that added fat really helps.  As Shannon suggested - salt really does help.  This is what helps me so your context might be very different.  

Archived