Fats at meal time

Lisabutler

I'm on day 23 and I've been using Epic jarred lard as my fat source at most of my meals (pork, beef, and duck) I don't tolerate coconut or avacado and I'm doing AIP so no nuts. Sometimes I'll use olives or olive oil if I have a salad but mainly I'm using template sized portions of fat on my warm veggies. Is this ok? I didn't start this until around day 10 because I didn't realize I shouldn't include the fat I'm using to cook with as my fat and needed to add more to my meals based on the template recommendations. Any advice would be great!

• Moderators

I'm on day 23 and I've been using Epic jarred lard as my fat source at most of my meals (pork, beef, and duck) I don't tolerate coconut or avacado and I'm doing AIP so no nuts. Sometimes I'll use olives or olive oil if I have a salad but mainly I'm using template sized portions of fat on my warm veggies. Is this ok? I didn't start this until around day 10 because I didn't realize I shouldn't include the fat I'm using to cook with as my fat and needed to add more to my meals based on the template recommendations. Any advice would be great!

Yes, this works... if you add softened lard to drizzle onto your roasted veggies or meat etc... that works just great! You can do the same with any oils... and if you did want to mix it up a bit, pesto or chimichurri (many compliant recipes online) that would be tasty too!

Forgot to add dairy allergy and no eggs due to AIP and an allergy to egg white

There are a number of egg free mayo recipes out there, but sadly most that I found contained avocado and/or coconut which are off limits to you...

That said, I'm not sure if you have a genuine egg allergy, or an egg hypersensitivity, but going forward you can make mayo using just the yolk (I use about 3) - it's usually the  proteolytic enzymes (or proteases) which break down proteins of the egg white into shorter chains of amino acids which most people are sensitive to.

Yes, this works... if you add softened lard to drizzle onto your roasted veggies or meat etc... that works just great! You can do the same with any oils... and if you did want to mix it up a bit, pesto or chimichurri (many compliant recipes online) that would be tasty too!

Thanks so much for the tips. Just made a yummy pesto. I'll try the chimichurri during reintroduction as it contains red pepper flakes (nightshade)

There are a number of egg free mayo recipes out there, but sadly most that I found contained avocado and/or coconut which are off limits to you...

That said, I'm not sure if you have a genuine egg allergy, or an egg hypersensitivity, but going forward you can make mayo using just the yolk (I use about 3) - it's usually the proteolytic enzymes (or proteases) which break down proteins of the egg white into shorter chains of amino acids which most people are sensitive to.

I'll have to try the egg yoke mayo after my whole30 is over. I was trying to reintroduce egg yolk prior to trying whole30 and I would get a few hives after eating the yolk. Thanks for the advice

Archived