Whole milk for babies- necessary when no longer breastfeeding?

Hi,

I've just finished a round of whole 30, and started reading the "starts with food" book on my last day of whole 30- go figure.

As I sit and read the dairy portion of the book, and think about my almost 1-year-old twins... I can't help but wonder if there is actual benefit to switching a baby from breastmilk to whole milk like doctors recommend.

My twins turn one next month, and I want to start weaning them from nursing and am wondering - is it really necessary for them to have whole milk? Especially when I'm told they need quite a bit of whole milk? And it's now the substitution for how much breastmilk they were previously receiving?

Thanks in advance!

My son is 10 and has never had cow's milk, ever.

He was diagnosed with multiple food allergies as a baby when he reacted to a number of pre-digested foods in my breastmilk. Dairy is one of his allergies. We were under the care of an allergy consultant and a dietician and did try him with a fortified rice milk for a while, but he wasn't keen, and since he couldn't have soy or nuts at that point we (the consultant & dietician included) called it a day. He hasn't drank any kind of milk since.

So, no, it is not necessary to switch to cow's milk once you're done weaning. 

Note: I do know they talk say a toddler doesn't need milk once weaned from breastmilk... But does a toddler mean a one year old? I usually think of a toddler as a 2-3 year old and know some people breastfeed until 2 (or longer sometimes).

Please see my response above.

My son had to have his diet supplemented with a non allergenic formula until he was two, but this was because his repetoire of solids was so small and he needed to get the nutrients elsewhere.

Kids are generally weaned off of the breast/formula at one year when they are able to eat more solids, although many mums continue to BF much longer than that. That decision is entirely up to you & your child.

• Moderators

Cow's milk is made specifically for and used for turning small baby cows into enormous hulking adult cows... it seems like a stretch to say that human babies need this as we are not trying to turn them into enormous hulking adult cows... if you are concerned, try breastfeeding for longer or speak to a nutritionist or dietician who you trust... the attitude towards milk is changing and I don't personally think that it's necessary with all the other food out there to feed a child milk of another species.

My toddler hates milk of any kind and barely eats any dairy. The pediatrician isn't super concerned. To be honest, the reason they suggest milk is because it's easier to get kids to get their calcium with milk.

Calcium and Vitamin D (the two main reasons they suggest milk) are more bioavailable in other real foods so it's not as necessary as big aggra wants you to believe

My son (15 months) is allergic to milk and soy. His dr, allergist, and nutritionist all said he doesn't need milk. He does still have a bit of hypoallergenic formula because he likes it, but they said as long as he is eating a balanced diet then he doesn't even need that. His ped actually told me "no other species drinks another mammals milk." Just make sure you have solid dietary sources of calcium and Vit D or give them a multivitamin.

the average age, globally, for stopping breast feeding is somewhere about 4 years old.  yes, 4 years old.  Most of Africa breast feed to a lot older.  Most of 'western' countries breast feed to at most 6 months, then ween when baby has teeth, or can start gumming solids.  No they don't need cows milk, but many generations of habit and cultural practice means that most people think that they should drink milk.

our son is two and a half, and still drinks whole milk, and has a cheese craving - which I will be trying to eliminate as and when (I've only known about W30 for a few months).  It will be tricky to organise what he has at home, and at nursery 4 days a week.

• 1 month later...

Hi getfitaftertwins

Only just seeing your message. You should not be giving your twins cows milk at a such a young age. Cows milk does not give your babies the essential nutrients that they need to grow healthy and strong. When breastfeeding is not an option look at stage 3 (from 12 months onwards) formulas. Nestle has stage 3 formulas for most of the products, Even NIDO for 1 yr onwards and 3yr onwards.

Please don't start your twins on cows milk this early. It does not have half the nutrients they need.

• 2 months later...

Thank you for this post.  When you communicate why your baby won't be drinking milk, how do people respond?  Our baby is almost one year old, and he and I eat whole30-style together.  I went dairy free a long time before my whole30 and feel best that way.  I want to keep us dairy free, against the pediatritian's initial advice.  When I talk to her at the one-year check up, what do I say?  

My husband and older daughter love their cheese and ice cream (crackers, corn, cereals, too - it has been a challenge and I don't get too much support unfortunately).  So dairy is all around us. 

My husband is open minded and we want to make a conscious decision about Baby's diet.  I'd like to make the best (non-pushy) argument I can to stay milk-free! 

Any communication advice would be appreciated.  

• 2 months later...

Haven't started my whole30 yet but my kids are all dairy sensitive.  I had to be dairy free while breastfeeding for their first 7 months or they pooped blood.  Stopped after that so I went back to having dairy but my tummy wasn't happy so I went back to almond milk.  My oldest was finally able to tolerate Cow milk when she was 2.5 yrs old but likely would do better back in goat milk or even the almond milk but she refuses to drink either.  The 2 yr old twins were on protein plus almond milk from 15 months until we couldn't get it anymore around when they turned 2 in October.  Now they get Cow milk and do okay (they refused all other milks and still don't love Cow milk).  When I asked our family doctor about finding a Cow milk alternative for #1, she told me that she didn't need milk.  She grew up in Belgium and said that once babies weaned, they didn't drink milk.   Just water and other liquids.  A gallon of Cow milk in our home lasts 2 wks.  The 4 yr old is the only one who consistently drinks it but we let her decide if she wants it.  Otherwise the kids drink water.  I'm actually excited to try the whole 30 compliant almond/coconut milk mix to see if the twins will like it.  They pretty much eye any milk appearing liquid with skepticism ever since we couldn't get their favorite milk.  

• 4 weeks later...

I breast fed each of my kids for 3.5 years. Both self weaned. When the oldest weaned she never took up drinking milk, the youngest drank cow's milk for a year after weaning but has stopped asking for it recently. I night weaned them which made it possible to nurse them for that long because I was no longer waking in the night, but didn't mind nursing morning and evening on days I worked and morning, noon and evening if I was home. If you keep them on the breast until they want to stop naturally you'll know they have no need to for any other milk.

The American Academy of pediatrics have(in the last 10 years) actually changed their recommendation from breastfeeding for at least 1 year to breastfeeding for at least 2 years. The biggest reason behind this is that they have found baby's immune system is only 60% developed by age 1 and they still need antibodies from moms milk. Another reason though, which brings me to the point of this forum, is that a baby needs the extra fat from moms milk until age 2 for their brain to keep developing properly. That is why they always recommended whole milk until the age of 2. If you're not able to breastfeed until age 2, you somehow still need to get baby the fat he needs, which is hard from food alone. I'm not advocating cows milk. I agree that children don't ever need cows milk. Formula is an option, but, of course, then baby misses out on the antibodies from mom. If you can possibly keep breastfeeding until at least age 2, that is by far the best option. Those who are uncomfortable breastfeeding a baby past age 1, or want to start cup feeding..... pumping and keeping a stock of breast milk in the fridge or freezer is a great option.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread my son had a milk allergy. This past January he passed his allergy test showing he has outgrown milk. I have tried some cows milk with him just to see how he reacts. He doesn't really care for it and it seems to give him GI issues. I mentioned this to his Ped last week at his 2 yo appointment (this is a new Ped from the one we saw before) and she also just said no worries cow's milk isn't necessary. Interesting to me that 2 separate peds (at two different practices) have said this. I wonder if the tides are changing in the medical community (which is great!). 

As for the fat, there are lots of ways to get the fats a toddler brain needs. Some I use:

olive oil, coconut oil, fish/sardines, grass fed beef, duck fat, avocado

all of those are good heathy fats that toddlers can enjoy to get the fats they need without milk 

• 2 weeks later...

My oldest was breastfed for 4mo then formula until 12mo, around 11mo we started weaning him from formula because he was eating full meals plus snacks. My youngest two both breastfed much longer but we never "switched" any of them to milk. By 1 year most of their nutrition was coming from whole foods, we did baby lead weaning and started them on small pieces of regular food instead of pureed foods. Most peds recommend whole milk for the fat content, kids need good fat for brain development. We used lots of avocados and coconut oil plus the fats from animals meats.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone added coconut milk to their older baby/ young toddler's diet? I'm happily breastfeeding my 10 month old and plan to continue hopefully until she is 2 or more. But she nurses every 2 hours during the day and I would like to cut that down a bit. She eats a ton of food, all whole food and mostly whole30 compliant, but she loves to drink as well. I was thinking of starting to give her breast milk and/ or (w30 compliant) coconut milk in a sippy cup. That way she wouldn't just be drinking water, giving her a little extra fat. Thoughts? 

@RoseyGW I'm no expert but can't see how that would be a problem. I'm going to call our ped. about this actually...

I too am looking to start supplementing breastmilk soon for my 1 year old daughter -- I work FT out of the home and also will be going away on a work trip for about 4 days soon. I don't have enough breastmilk saved up to last her for the full 4 days and although she eats a lot of solid food, drinking is still a major comfort for her and a part of her routine (especially in the morning and at night). Coconut milk is a great idea. I'd probably supplement that with some liquid multi-vitamin drops that our pediatrician prescribes. I'd personally much rather go coconut milk (or honestly even cow's, goat's, or nutmilk) rather than formula. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived