sugar and hot flashes

violetta

I have not eaten much sugar since my Whole30 but I decided to have a little chocolate today to try it. I noticed immediately that I had an intense, whole body hot flash like during menopause but I haven't had any for about 3-4 years. I tried it again later and had the same reaction, so hot I had to run the air conditioner full blast in the car on a very cold day.  It only lasted a couple minutes and was gone but I was sweating profusely for that time.  I noticed it even this evening when I had 1/2 banana, which is something that I have eaten many times since Whole30 with, I thought, no reaction. Anyone else have this reaction?  I supposed this could have happened lots of times previous to Whole30 but I didn't isolate it.

Is it possible there was anything else in the chocolate? Soy lecithin is a common one.

I mean, yes, sugar can effect the heart rate in some people, which in turn could cause a hot flush (it's recommended to reduce sugar intake to lessen the symptoms of menopause), but I'd imagine that the naturally occurring sugar in a banana would effect the body differently - although that would be relative to how ripe/unripe the banana was.

Archived