Can I have So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk and Coconut Yogurt?

Bywater

Due to medical reasons,  I have a very small stomach (4ish oz capacity) but I have to get a significant amount of protein a day (150g +) and I've been using whey powder shakes. Since they have sweetners and whey, they're not viable.  To replace it, I'll be using eggs + frozen fruit + coconut milk.

As opposed to using canned coconut milk, I'm looking at So Delicious but I want to be sure that I'll be safe.

The ingredients in the milk are:  ORGANIC COCONUT MILK (WATER, ORGANIC COCONUT CREAM), CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, GUAR GUM, XANTHAN GUM, VITAMIN A ACETATE, VITAMIN D2, L-SELENOMETHIONINE (SELENIUM), ZINC OXIDE, FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B12

The ingredients in the yogurt are:   ORGANIC COCONUT MILK (WATER, ORGANIC COCONUT CREAM), CHICORY ROOT EXTRACT, PECTIN, ALGIN, MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, RICE STARCH, LOCUST BEAN GUM, LIVE CULTURES, GUAR GUM, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, GELLAN GUM, XANTHAN GUM, VITAMIN D2, VITAMIN B12.

• Moderators

Rice starch makes the yogurt not okay.

Have you considered blended soups with meat or eggs and broth instead of smoothies? That way you'd be getting more vegetables too. I've never calculated how much protein you could get that way, but I know the proteins in nuts and seeds are not as complete as what's in meat and eggs, they're missing certain aminos and other stuff that are in eggs and meat.

Good catch on the rice starch.  I missed that in the list.

I'm looking at blended soups as well.  It's insanely difficult to meet my protein and fat requirements with as little as I absorb of them so anything OTHER than protein shakes are in my plan.  I have done hot bone broth before for breakfast but, by itself, it has so little protein that I didn't stick with it.

• Moderators

You might want to google Whole30 weight loss surgery for how people who have smaller stomach capacities due to surgery are dealing with this -- I know there have been a few people on the forum in that situation. It may not be exactly the same as your situation, but it sounds like you may have some issues in common with them and might be able to pick up some tips there.

You might also google pureed food diets and see how people are using regular foods in pureed form when they need to. Basically, any food you make can be combined with broth in a good blender and pureed to whatever consistency is easiest for you to digest, whether it's liquid like soup (use more broth), or just pureed a bit but still mostly solid (use minimal amounts of broth to blend it). Unless you have restrictions that prevent you eating meats in any form, I think you'd end up with more proteins, and they'd be more bioavailable, if you tried having proteins, fats, and vegetables in whatever form you can digest them. 

Good catch on the rice starch.  I missed that in the list.

I'm looking at blended soups as well.  It's insanely difficult to meet my protein and fat requirements with as little as I absorb of them so anything OTHER than protein shakes are in my plan.  I have done hot bone broth before for breakfast but, by itself, it has so little protein that I didn't stick with it.

I saw a bone broth protein powder with 20 grams of protein on Amazon. The plain and turmeric versions are compatible.

Archived