Dizzy

My daughter and I are doing the whole 30 and we are on Day 16 of a Whole 37 and she is really dizzy and very fatigued. She can't have night shades or eggs so not sure where to get her carbs from to get the energy she is lacking.

What does a day look like for her with meals. It could be a lack of fat or carbs (there are plenty of nightshade free ideas out there like sweet potatoes, plantains, winter squashes etc)

Fats can be anything like pesto, egg free mayo (compliant), avocado or guac (without tomatoes or peppers/chilies)....

Please indicate portion sizes when listing her meals. It could be that she is not eating enough overall.

Is she salting her food?

Also, as Karen said there are plenty of starchy veg options out there that are not nightshades - parsnip, carrots, sweet potatoes, yams, turnip etc.

Nightshades would only rule out white potatoes in terms of starch - has she any other medical issues? You mention feeding bad bacteria - this usally relates to SIBO - does she have a diagnosis?

Ok I will have her do that. And no diagnosis of SIBO just chronic bloating. They say she has leaky gut.

With chronic bloating she should avoid FODMAPs.

Who has suggested she exclude nightshades, and why?

FODMAPs are certain types of foods which contain sugars that some people's small intestine finds hard to absorb, resulting in chronic bloating, gas/wind, dairrhoea/constipation, stomach cramps etc - much like IBS.

Have a read at >this article< for a more in depth explanation, and a great list of foods (about half way down the page) to avoid, foods to eat in moderation, and foods to eat freely - bearing in mind that while the gut is inflamed (& until it heals) you should only eat from the green list.

NIghtshades on the other hand tend to cause joint paint, headaches, anxiety, inflammation, skin issues...

Both can cause malabsorption.

What symptoms did your daughter have pre Whole30?

She has chronic bloating and constipation. She pretty much does low fodmaps it looks like due to Whole 30 with the exception of like apples. It's getting so difficult it seems like she can't eat anything on whole 30 and then to have to take out some fodmaps that she's eating. I'm at a loss as to what to make for her.

She has chronic bloating and constipation. She pretty much does low fodmaps it looks like due to Whole 30 with the exception of like apples. It's getting so difficult it seems like she can't eat anything on whole 30 and then to have to take out some fodmaps that she's eating. I'm at a loss as to what to make for her.

So her symptoms pre Whole30 were just bloating & constipation?

It would be really helpful to see what she has been eating over the past 4-5 days - with specific veg types, portion sizes etc, along with water intake, activity levels, sleep/stress levels, and any meds.

Does she take a magnesium supplement?

Ok will have her do that. She's at a dr appt right now. No magnesium. When she's taken that in the past it has caused bad restless legs. She does take digestive bitters and enzymes. And yes bloating g before whole 30 but it still hasn't improved.

Archived