Where to buy curry paste/powder?

Gandalf26

I'm unfamiliar with curry paste (red, green, whatever) and powder. I didn't see any at walmart grocery so I'm guessing it's not found just anywhere. Where's the best place to buy? (fyi I don't live anywhere near Trader Joes or Whole Foods). Also, is this an ingredient that tends to be non-compliant?

Thanks!

I make my own pastes, thus making it compliant, with a variety of commonly found stuff (exception is shrimp past which is easily found at Asian markets or online and often is compliant. Just make sure it's shrimp and salt, no sugar added). I got the recipes from the domestic man's newest cookbook paleo takeout. I think he has some curries on his blog too

• Moderators

Curry powder is pretty easy to find in the spice aisle, should be yellow colored and just be a mix of spices, you can also find recipes online to make your own from single spices. I don't make a lot of curries, per se, but I like curry powder on scrambled eggs, roasted vegetables, and chicken. It's probably good on other stuff too, that's just the stuff I usually put it on.

If you do choose to buy your own, a lot of stores (even some Walmart locations) carry curry pastes in the international food aisles and curry powder in the spices aisles. A Taste of Thai makes one that may or may not be compliant depending on region, and it is usually in the international aisle by their other products (microwave meals, coconut milk, etc).

We buy ours from Kroger or HyVee. You will have to check ingredients as some brands will add sugar or non-compliant ingredients. Asian markets will also carry curry pastes and powders. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Have you looked in the bulk food section of one of your local grocery stores?  I've found curry powder at Fred Meyer.  Any grocery that sells spices should have jars of curry powder.  You might have to ask a store associate for assistance.  It can be a rather daunting chore when I've looked so hard for something and then the store associate finds it in the twinkle of an eye. Pshaw.

Archived