Are hashbrowns ok?

Dcpink

depends - if in packets, read the ingredients, if in a restraunt ask what they're made from, and how they're cooked.

if home made they can easily be - potato, par boiled, grated, shaped into rounds, then fried.  sounds compliant to me if you fry in the right oil.

you could bake them in the oven too for a drier crispier hash brown.

Yes, the soy would make them a no-go.  But that notwithstanding, you may want to read what the Whole30 "Can I have" Guide has to say:

French Fries: Not if they’re commercially prepared or deep-fried

Ordering fries with your (no bun, no cheese) burger and green salad really misses the point of the Whole30. Fries are the epitome of “food with no brakes,” and anything deep-fried in vegetable oil is be default unhealthy. Make your own potatoes at home using coconut oil, duck fat, or ghee, and baking or roasting them in the oven instead of deep-frying them; or order them baked or mashed (no cheese, sour cream, or butter!) if dining out.

Potatoes: Yes!

We changed the official Whole30 rules in August 2014 to include all varieties of potatoes—white, red, Yukon gold, purple, fingerling, baby, sweet potatoes, yams, etc. Feel free to boil, bake, roast, pan-fry, grill, microwave, or steam them, but no commercially prepared or deep-fried potato chips or French fries. (That’s completely against the spirit of the Whole30.)

Tip: White potatoes pack a whole lot of energy into a relatively small package. If you’re overweight, insulin-resistant or otherwise metabolically challenged, and not very active, you don’t need a lot of extra energy on your daily plate. If this is your context, use white potatoes sparingly in your Whole30 meal plan, if at all. Plus, if you eat mashed potatoes with every dinner, you’ll miss out on a world of colorful, nutrient-dense vegetables to explore. Bust out of your potato rut and discover a newfound love of Brussels sprouts, asparagus, or kale!

http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

• Moderators

Wow, I didn't know there where allergen guides for restaurants out there.  That is fabulous.  I already downloaded some for my local go-to places, so I can have them just in case :)

Allergen guides are great starting points, but keep in mind they don't tell you everything -- there could still be sweeteners in the food that aren't listed, it probably won't mention if there's corn in things or peas because those are not generally thought of as allergens (not that they're in a lot of things, but if they do put corn in a salad or something, you'd not know that by checking the allergen list). So you still have to ask questions.

Archived