Starting June 1 but surgery is June 22

• Moderators

Yes, you'd still be compliant. Be sure you have a post-surgery plan, because they may expect you to eat something before they let you go home, just to be sure you can keep food down -- they'll probably give you crackers or something. Check with your doctor beforehand to see what would be okay, but maybe something like mashed potato or sweet potato with not a lot of seasonings or fats added or some grilled chicken breast.

Do consider that depending on the surgery you have, you'll be 9 days out from surgery when it's time to start reintroductions, and you might still not be feeling 100%. If that's the case, you might want to continue eating Whole30 until you do feel 100% before you start them, just so that you know that anything you experience is from what you're eating, not after effects of the surgery. (This is probably most important with really major surgeries, but even with minor surgeries, depending on pain meds and such, you may not be quite back to yourself).

I hope your surgery goes well.

Great and I understand.. you are right, I will have to be home and no driving, no steps for 2 weeks.. thank you you so much for the foresight...of what will happen..  they will probably think me strange asking for grilled chicken for breakfast.

it's abdominal surgery, big stuff.  ;) 

After abdominal surgery they will likely progress you slowly from a clear liquid diet (juice, gelatin, plain tea, gingerale, broth) to a full liquid diet (yogurt, cream of wheat or grits, apple sauce, ice cream, pudding) to a regular diet (normal foods).

Most of the stuff they'll offer you when you're in your post-op diet progression will be off plan. I'd bring a box of compliant broth that can be microwaved to be heated, or ask a family member to bring in a few quart containers of homemade bone broth or stock for you to sip on during the clear liquid diet stage. Either pack in a cooler with freezer packs or ask your family members to bring in some pre-made by you pureed veggies/fruits or blended creamy soups (cauliflower or butternut squash or whatever) for the full liquid stage, and have chicken breasts and olives, avocado, veggies, whatever, ready to go to be brought in or packed in advance to help you during the regular diet phase until they let you go home.

Working in a hospital I know that the majority of the foods they will serve to you won't be compliant, but with a little advance planning, you can make it work! See if there will be a patient fridge where you can store your foods for each stage so that your stash won't spoil or attract bugs. You can make it work!

Good luck on your upcoming surgery, best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Bone Broth eh.. agggg..  I haven't made any yet as I've not started but  I will look for the recipe in the book.  or when I go out tomorrow, get some from who ever may be compliant..  .. 

I have time to make some though and freeze it.. , that means buy some plastic containers...  oh boy, thanks for the heads up.  

really my husband only knows (just kidding) where the plastic utensils and the frozen food he eats are at, in the kitchen,.. oh and don't forget the coffee maker and microwave..  :o

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, the Hearty Vegetable Broth in boxes is compliant. At least in New York, but you're close enough to me that there's a good chance yours would also be compliant. That's what I've been using since my usual go-to was always Knorr bouillon cubes and those have MSG in them. I don't know if the beef or chicken broth boxes are also compliant because I don't use those, but at least you know you can get a veggie version to sip on if need be during your clear liquids stage of recovery rather than having to rely on Jell-O or juices provided by the hospital.

Good luck!

If you can't get bone broth but can get compliant stock, it's not the same, but throw in some plain gelatin and it's closer :)

Some places also sell a dried bone broth (it's like a powder - the powder is the bones) which is handy for things like the hospital.

I had laparoscopic surgery (hysterectomy) on day 15 of my whole 30.  I packed Epic and Lara bars to have after the procedure.  I didn't have to spend the night so I didn't have to figure out any other meals.  I just made sure that I had plenty of compliant food ready at home, knowing my appetite may be off for a few days.  I will say my doctor felt that my body healed exceptionally fast after the procedure and I attribute it to Whole 30.

Thank you for the reply. I feel I will be fine as I grow to learn what is good. That will be my day 22. But again, I'll be NPO. After midnight.

Will that day still count for me because I won't have eaten anything????.

• Moderators

It will count but you may want to reconsider the dates you have for your whole 30. Having surgery and then the fallout of the gut biome changing, meds, sedation, general yucky feeling is going to significantly impact how you feel on day 30. I would encourage you to either extend your time or start again when you're feeling better because a surgery is no small thing.

Do you mean start again after the surgery. If I get that far? What is that biome stuff you refer to please.

Now I see why this can be challenging to a person. The stress of trying to do this correctly.

I think a lot of people should be starting again if they were honest

• Moderators

Your gut's microbiome is the environment in your stomach... it has good and bad bacteria... when we do things like surgery prep (think colonoscopy... someone else on here is about to go for one), antibiotics, sedation, liquid diets etc... that puts pressure on our gut biome and often times the bad bacteria will get an upper hand on the good bacteria... this is why after surgery or a stomach flu with a lot of throwing up and pooping, you may have a hard time eating anything and bland and gentle things are suggested... 

As far as the stress of doing this correctly, yes, there is a fair amount of thought and dedication that needs to go into it, especially if it's your first Whole30.  We're basically asking you to look at what and how you eat and learn a new way and while eating food is not difficult, this IS a challenge and we totally acknowledge that... that's why we're here to provide support and help for people learning this new way of interacting with food.

You're also right that a lot of people probably do a half hearted 'good enough' attempt and 'should' start over... Let them worry about them and YOU do the best you can do... comparison is the thief of joy and it can create resentment and frustration when you compare how hard you're trying to what someone else is half-heartedly doing but calling the same thing... the level of effort for each person varies and as such, the results and changes vary... don't let someone else's journey derail yours :)

Your gut's microbiome is the environment in your stomach... it has good and bad bacteria... when we do things like surgery prep (think colonoscopy... someone else on here is about to go for one), antibiotics, sedation, liquid diets etc... that puts pressure on our gut biome and often times the bad bacteria will get an upper hand on the good bacteria... this is why after surgery or a stomach flu with a lot of throwing up and pooping, you may have a hard time eating anything and bland and gentle things are suggested... 

As far as the stress of doing this correctly, yes, there is a fair amount of thought and dedication that needs to go into it, especially if it's your first Whole30.  We're basically asking you to look at what and how you eat and learn a new way and while eating food is not difficult, this IS a challenge and we totally acknowledge that... that's why we're here to provide support and help for people learning this new way of interacting with food.

You're also right that a lot of people probably do a half hearted 'good enough' attempt and 'should' start over... Let them worry about them and YOU do the best you can do... comparison is the thief of joy and it can create resentment and frustration when you compare how hard you're trying to what someone else is half-heartedly doing but calling the same thing... the level of effort for each person varies and as such, the results and changes vary... don't let someone else's journey derail yours :)

;) thank you. I won't..  thanks for being here to help me. . I'm a person that really tries to do it all right all the time the first time.  

then I get mad when I screw up..   like when I sew, I can sew but when I put two things together that don't belong, I get angry with myself for not knowing it..  

I totally get what you are saying and I last night I committed myself even more to this program and change in life.. (hugs) and thanks again. I needed this..  :)

Be gentle with yourself for surgery too :)

Get extra sleep. You may need *more* nutrition rather than less (hospital food is usually bland rather than nutritious so BYO if you can or ask friends to bring you real food/soup). Don't worry too much about perfect, if you get into a pickle in the hospital you may not have a lot of options. Plan as much as you can, but remember it's surgery, recovery is your top priority :)

Some people find gelatin very soothing as well.

Magnesium is good to help your body cope with stress (surgery is pretty stressful for the body!), but check any supplements with your docs, some things don't play nice with medications or hospital treatments. If you call ahead you can let the hospital pharmacy know you don't want grains and things in your medications, some of them are *really* good at this.

Be gentle with yourself for surgery too :)

Get extra sleep. You may need *more* nutrition rather than less (hospital food is usually bland rather than nutritious so BYO if you can or ask friends to bring you real food/soup). Don't worry too much about perfect, if you get into a pickle in the hospital you may not have a lot of options. Plan as much as you can, but remember it's surgery, recovery is your top priority :)

Some people find gelatin very soothing as well.

Magnesium is good to help your body cope with stress (surgery is pretty stressful for the body!), but check any supplements with your docs, some things don't play nice with medications or hospital treatments. If you call ahead you can let the hospital pharmacy know you don't want grains and things in your medications, some of them are *really* good at this.

I have 2 boxes of broth ready and I'm making chicken broth as we speak. i"ll freeze that in containers so he can just bring them up to me or bring them and have them in the patient refrigerator. 

My Calm just came today. Now I don't now if I should take both the calm and Trazodone.  My magnesium was prescribed by Naturopath and the psychiatrist prescribed Trazodone.. 

I was thinking they always have eggs on the menu..   my own broth and their vegetables will taste straight out of the can.  but then, do the cans also have sugar? maybe i should cook my own string beans also.  and spinach is very easy. .  Love me some spinach.. 

Check with your doc before mixing stuff together, especially for medications (not just your Trazodone, anything else too). Some have very specific things you can't have them with and some of them are totally natural things, like grapefruit (often alters how things are absorbed, which can be dangerous for delicate doses).

Good to check about any foods you don't make, eggs can have weird stuff added like flour and dairy, some of them aren't really just eggs (scramble mixes).

I'm going to echo the "be gentle with yourself" call. Having survived several major surgeries, I can attest that it is one tough process. 

I'm just at the end of my first W30, but having done this much and having had surgery, I wouldn't want to be doing both at once. What if you say, okay, you've done a Whole 22, and then you're doing this thing called surgery, and then you'll do a Whole 30 when you'e back on your feet. You can still do everything you can to eat well from the time you stop your Whole 22 until you're ready for a Whole 30, but cut yourself a lot of slack so you don't feel bad.

When I had surgery I hadn't ever heard of W30, but I was aware of how most hospital food is just a bucket of chemicals. Those first "meals" they serve, which are just to get you started, are horrible jello and super-fake "shakes" with a list of ingredients as long as your arm. Still, there you are, having not eaten for many hours, and that's what you've got, and they have to make sure you can eat (they measure your intake and your, um, outgo, and don't release you until that's all normal. I was able to have a friend bring me takeout from a nearby health food place once I was having regular meals. 

That said, since I'm new to the W30, the moderators or those with more experience may have other takes on this. Good luck!

I had another thought on the hospital food problem. My most recent surgery, I had wised up and I called ahead of time and spoke to the hospital nutritionist --- it was easy to reach this department. I told her my concerns about not wanting to have food loaded with chemicals, preservatives, etc. As I recall, I still ended up with the icky jello but I think my first real meal was much better. Any major hospital (maybe any hospital) will have a nutrition department that is used to making special meals that are vegetarian, kosher, halal….But you should definitely speak to the person in charge of nutrition in advance of when you're admitted, and then remind the person who does your intake. As long as you're clear about what you will and will not eat, they should be able to accommodate you at least to some extent. 

And just keep thinking of how great it'll be once you're home and able to cook for yourself! 

Archived