Indigestion?

• Moderators

Maybe. You might benefit from getting more probiotics, whether through pills or by including fermented foods like raw sauerkraut or kimchi or other fermented vegetables, or from kombucha. Some people find they benefit from digestive enzymes if they're not used to eating much protein and fat.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice! I tried kombucha...wow! I could tell right away from my reaction (tingly head, swollen fingers) that it had alcohol and lots of sugar in it! I'm so surprised it is allowed. I've researched how to make it and it's clearly a sugar fermented/alcoholic drink. I understand the benefits, but not sure it fits on Whole30? The sugar content was high (2g) but it tasted like more than that!

I actually prefer the drier Kombuchas flavors (ginger usually is my go to.) and it depends a lot on who made it as to the sugar content (some add sugar after fermentation which isn't allowed on w30 and tastes even sweeter). As to the alcohol, it's a usually minimal amount that has to be acknowledged (like less than 0.5% APV), but isn't enough to be "alcoholic". It's only a byproduct of the fermentation process... I have diluted it in the past and also drink a smaller portion at times.

• Moderators

Thanks for the advice! I tried kombucha...wow! I could tell right away from my reaction (tingly head, swollen fingers) that it had alcohol and lots of sugar in it! I'm so surprised it is allowed. I've researched how to make it and it's clearly a sugar fermented/alcoholic drink. I understand the benefits, but not sure it fits on Whole30? The sugar content was high (2g) but it tasted like more than that!

If this doesn't fit the bill for you personally, you definitely don't need to drink it.  Fermented products are quite good for gut health and a lot of people really like them.  The sugar that is added during the first fermentation gets eaten by the fermentation so as long as none is added after, then it's all good and there's no consumable sugar.

Some people are quite sensitive to it so if that's you, feel free to leave it out.

I tried the ginger. It was super good! Tastes like beer. Same process except sugar as the base instead of malt and barley. With 2g sugar on the label, I guess it is not Whole30 approved. But all of them had sugar. Anyway, I will drink it in extremely small quantities as I believe in probiotics even though I dislike the sugar and alcohol. Kefir never worked for me due to the dairy.

• Moderators

The sugar will be from whatever fruit and fruit juice they put in to flavor the second ferment if there's no sugar listed in the ingredients label... as long as it doesn't say sugar, you're good.

Sometimes a label might say Kombucha (black tea, sugar) fruit juice, ginger.  that's okay because the sugar is used up in the fermentation of the kombucha... a bit confusing sometimes.

Archived