reintroductions / how to deal with a party?

zebaby

My 9 year old son is on day 25!! It hasn't been easy, but it hasn't been a nightmare either. I took the advice of many to allow swypo foods, which allowed him to have a treat or two each week, and a couple times I allowed some fries/chips cooked in compliant oils (eeek!). Other than that, he ate pretty much what the adults ate and did just fine. 

As we approach day 30, I looked at his schedule and realized that his theatre troupe's cast party would be happening on day 31 (nooo!!). I'm at a conundrum about what to do. I was hoping to reintroduce foods systematically, but I'm not sure what to allow him to eat at the party. There will be gluten-free items there, but will likely contain sugar & dairy. 

I considered ending his a few days early, to be able to reintroduce a food (either wheat or dairy), to get a good gauge of his body's reactions to it before the party. Even if I do that, I'm not sure I'd be able to easily avoid a combination of ingredients if I allow him to partake in party treats.

How critical is it for a child to complete the full 30 days before reintroduction? Can I end a few days early and still get fairly accurate results?

If I reintroduce one item early, can I then combine that item with another on the second reintroduction and be able to assess the new food group?

We all know sugar is not good for us. How critical is it to single out a food group with the absence of sugar in order to get an accurate assessment of his reaction to it? i.e. If he has bread for his reintroduction of gluten grains, and they all contain sugar and dairy, then he has a negative reaction, would it be safe to say he has problems with gluten or would it be the combination of dairy & sugar as well?

Any ideas on how to navigate party food on day 31 for a child?

I should add, that aside from sugar, the two food groups I suspect will be a problem for him (based on past observations of his symptoms and backed up by my experiences having completed W30 earlier in the year), are wheat (gluten in general) and dairy. I considered doing reintroduction of all 4 groups in recommended order, but since we have been on the lookout for quite some time and never really noticed a reaction to legumes or non-gluten grains, I thought that maybe I can save those for the end (or maybe even reintroducing as the opportunity presents itself), suspecting those would not be an issue.

Additional questions,

Has anyone singled out the reintroduction of sugar for a child? Experiences? I can't decide to specifically reintroduce so he can see the effects or simply agree that there is no place for sugar in our regular diet and that sugary 'treats' should be limited to few and far between.

Finally, if my son does eat a combination of foods on day 31, just for the party, and afterwards he takes a couple days back on W30, can he reintroduce food groups on the regular schedule from scratch on day 34? Thoughts?

Weeell, I was hoping to have at least one reply by now :( , but my son is totally stressing about the party, so we've decided to end early (I'm still very proud of him for having gotten this far! :D ) and introduce dairy (I'll make him a banana milkshake with banana, milk, & ice), and see how it goes. He's not entirely thrilled about ending early, but he seems more stressed at the fact that he'll be at a party where everyone will be eating everything in sight, so I'm hoping his ending a few days early, he'll still get to see some effects from reintroduction. Our plan hereafter is to mainly eat W30 but allow legumes & non-gluten grains, limiting sugar as much as possible, and continuing trying to avoid gluten & dairy most days.

My husband and I will continue our 30 and reintro's as scheduled.

• Moderators

I'm sorry no one responded to you before. It's hard to make recommendations to people about kids, because people choose to follow the plan to different degrees with their kids depending on ages and circumstances. I think it sounds like you have a good plan. I don't think there's any perfect way to deal with this particular circumstance, but getting some kind of idea of how he reacts to certain foods so that he can decide for himself if they're worth it at a party is a good way to empower him to make good choices going forward, and while we'd always recommend a full 30 days before reintroduction, I do think you can get some useful information this way, especially if he's particularly sensitive to dairy or wheat.

So, I made him that milkshake today, and he basically drank about half and didn't want to drink the rest! He quickly learned that milk made him feel awful. I was trying to get him to verbalize exactly what he felt, but he couldn't quite pick the words. Bloated was definitely one of the feelings. I told him to remember that feeling so that he could decide in the future how he might feel eating a dairy filled treat. 

Archived