Homemade Mayo & My Self-Image

splash883

:D I followed the directions in the "It Starts With Food" recipe section. (I made it and it turned out great! I may go lighter on the salt next time, tho.)

I am a nerd.

Does anyone else feel a great sense of accomplishment when making something that you used to just go out and buy in the store? I had to laugh at myself. I told my husband, "Look! I just made mayo all by myself!!"

Thanks for listening to my goofines!

Kelsey

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I Totally get it. In fact, I posted practically the same thing just now :) Didn't see your post til after. It is a great feeling, "I created...." I can see gifts of small jars of mayo loving handcrafted :).....silly maybe but an easy way to "spread" the love, and the great things that come from Whole9.

I can so relate to this. I consider myself a fairly accomplished cook. I had a personal chef business for a couple of years and come from a long line of foodies. However, mayo and hollandaise have always been little trouble makers for me. During this whole 30, I tried mayo a few times and it kept breaking. I saved it by adding more egg or oil, but darn it, I just wanted it to come out right the first time. Then one of the mayo Whisperers (maybe Johnny?) here suggested the immersion blender method. OMG...so perfect every time. I love turning my nose up at the mayo in the store.

I can relate also. To someone who never liked the taste of Mayo (I am a Miracle Whip fan) the thought of making my own was beyond me. But I did it. The first time it was OK. The second time I used 2 eggs and 2 cups of light olive oil and all the other ingredients and an immersion blender. It all came together in about 10 seconds. And it is super. I love it. No more Miracle Whip for me.

I so had a "mayo fail" and despite it all I was still proud of trying! Not sure how I goofed up, but will definitely try again soon. :)

Don't give up. Once you get the hang of it, it will come together beautifully. If you aren't using an immersion blender, make sure all of your ingredients are room temp. If you get a broken mayo, you can add another egg, egg yolk or a little more oil.

I did the same. Mayo was a mystery food to me, until I made it myself. I was incredibly proud. I bragged on facebook, too. Same with Thai curries. I would pay $18 for a take-out order when the craving struck. Then I read a couple of paleo recipes online and realized how simple it was. Now I have it at least once a week.

Be warned, I'm going to make ghee and almond milk this week. My head might explode with the pride of it.

Ha! I recently shared that after making homemade mayo I felt "invinceable"! There is pride when I take out my container of chicken salad at work, and others look longingly and I say "Oh this? Just some chicken I poached last weekend before I made chicken stock, and then some homemade mayo." Oh yeah. We have so got this.

Yes I was VERY proud after my first batch turned out great! When my wife also tasted it and said how great it was, it was hard for my head to fit through the doorway! Now it has become the foundation for my favorite snack; tuna, homemade mayo and chopped boiled egg mixed together and wrapped up snuggly in a sea snax..delicious!

Let us know, slw600. Ghee and almond milk (i always was an over-achiever, LOL) are on the books for tomorrow. This has officially become my favorite thread! I may need tights and a cape after tomorrow.

BIG LOl right now. Love the cape idea. Inspired to get my ghee started, so I will report back. :) I am curious about the almond milk. Not for me, but for my daughter. She wants to give up milk badly and is fairly Paleo, but enjoys her gluten free cold cereal in the evenings. Sigh...27 year olds. I can't bear to buy the almond milk in cartons for her.

Okay, now I have a storage question. Trying to figure out an appropriate sized airtight jar to use. I have 2 lbs of grass fed organic butter. Does anyone know how much ghee I will end up with? I may make it one lb at a time to allow for a first time failure, but I am wondering how much yield I will end up with. I may even go to Sur La Table (just down the street from me) and get a cool looking jar since I plan on keeping it on my counter like a trophy. :)

My first batch of mayo came out a little bit oily but I put some more lemon juice in it along with parsley and dill and it was the most amazing salad dressing for baked salmon (I also put the dressing on the salmon before I baked it) with a big skald of mixed greens, tomatoes, cucumber,, onions and radishes. My husband said he would eat that for breakfast it was so good.

I am so gonna try home made almond milk.

OMG, I JUST posted about my first successful mayo (with my new-just-for-this-purpose immersion blender!!) on Facebook about 5 mins ago. So funny! First batch was horrible, although I learned later I could have rescued it, but by then I was all bummed and figured I hated homemade mayo ANYWAY. Excited to make bone broth now that it finally got cold here. I better hurry tho - it's going back up to 90 later this week.

OMG, I JUST posted about my first successful mayo (with my new-just-for-this-purpose immersion blender!!) on Facebook about 5 mins ago. So funny! First batch was horrible, although I learned later I could have rescued it, but by then I was all bummed and figured I hated homemade mayo ANYWAY. Excited to make bone broth now that it finally got cold here. I better hurry tho - it's going back up to 90 later this week.

Isn't it amazing? I LOVE watching the mayo form at the bottom of the beaker and then you go faster. I made some today.

Bought my cheesecloth and glass container for my Ghee, so that will be this evenings project.

Isn't it amazing? I LOVE watching the mayo form at the bottom of the beaker and then you go faster. I made some today.

Bought my cheesecloth and glass container for my Ghee, so that will be this evenings project.

Where do you find the cheesecloth? I assume grocery store has it, but which section is it in?

I have only used an immersion blender to make mayo. I tried it the first time because it seemed like there would be less cleanup with it since I had a Ball plastic jar with a screw top lid to mix it in and then store the mayo. Last time I decided to be even lazier than usual. I usually make half batches with one egg and just a little less than a full cup of oil. I added a 1/4C oil to the egg, mustard, salt and apple cider vinegar and mixed it up a few seconds to form the emulsion. Then I stopped the blender and dumped in the rest of the oil. Started it up again mixed for less than a minute and It turned out perfect. Not that it took super long to drizzle in the oil before, but this was even faster. So easy!

Looking forward to hearing how the ghee turns out. I know you LOVE your ghee so if you can make something you love then it might be worth it for me to give it a try. It doesn't seem that it would save too much money though since pastured butter isn't cheap either.

The cheesecloth is usually with other kitchen equipment. I was at New Seasons and they have a little display of kitchen stuff and I saw it so I grabbed it.

I tried my blender and my cuisinart, but had much more success with my immersion blender. I couldn't find the beaker, so wasn't using it, but then I looked in a cupboard above the stove and there it was. :) Oh, no need to drizzle the oil in if you make it with an immersion blender. Dump the entire amount on top of the egg/eggs and just stick the blender down at the bottom. Here's a youtube tutorial that I follow and it is so amazingly fast. No more drizzling!!

You are right...not sure the home made ghee will save me money, but it's such a fun thing to make. I have two lbs of butter, so I'll let you know how much I end up with.

Archived