Reintroducing Stevia organic

1grtRN

What you choose to reintroduce & when is entirely up to you - I'd be inclined to treat stevia like sugar if I were to reintroduce it, and give it it's own day... You may find you don't miss it as much as you thought.

• Moderators

You can do it just like any other reintroduction -- have it with everything else that day whole30, then go back to whole30 eating for two days, and continue to leave the stevia out as you do other reintroductions.

If you wanted to have it at more than one meal that day, you could maybe make a salad dressing using some or sweeten some iced tea with it to drink with other meals.

Edited to add: I type too slow on this phone, jmcbn beat me to it.

FWIW, you might also consider using just a small amount of a natural sugar. Or continuing to drink your coffee black.

Although stevia started out as a plant, as a sweetener it is very much a product. It's certainly up to you to decide what products are worth ingesting. (I have a few that I consume from time to time.) :-)

My acupuncturist advises against sweeteners, not because of their ingredients but because they are so many many many times sweeter than sugar.

Thank you all. Honestly I will stick with real,old fashioned sugar then. I may not even want sweetener at all, but highly unlikely. I've been having warm sweet and light coffee since I was a child. Love it! I'm just afraid of the extra calories because I drink 3 mugs daily. My only vice since stopping smoking 2 years ago.

So, I like to sweeten my coffee, and I bought an organic stevia product to put the brakes on the sugar.  Yuck!  It has a bitter aftertaste like saccharin.  Then I bought a pound of dark brown sugar to pair with stevia.  I've been adding a couple teaspoons of sugar to my coffees for a few days.  Result?  My knees ache after sitting crosslegged again!  I didn't have any joint pain during my Whole30.  Scary.

Pretty interesting Maureen. Today is day 30 for me, so I guess I'll see in the morning. First reintroduction is stevia. Ive used it for a couple of years pre-whole 30. After 30 days of coffee unsweetened, I have NOT liked it but persevered.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I have grown Stevia in my garden for several years. I dry it and use it to sweeten my whole leaf tea by brewing it with the tea leaves. In their first book, they ask - Have you ever tried a leaf from a stevia plant? They are not very sweet. --- I have to disagree. They are actually quite sweet just as they are. What's the difference from using the straight up natural plant versus the over-processed stevia products in the store? Or is it a problem at all? How is it different from brewing a tea from any other herb? Or is the problem that it is signaling your system with sweetness and doesn't have the calories to accompany it?

Archived