shsparky

I know that sugar is not allowed as an additive to food.  

My question is about using sugar in a smoker as part of the smoking process.  In other words, the food itself would not have sugar on it/in it.  The sugar would be in the smoker pan (along with tea and other spices).  

Your advice is appreciated!

• Moderators

Why do you need sugar? Why not just leave it out? My family doesn't smoke meat often, but do on occasion, and they've never put sugar or herbs or spices in the smoker pan, they just put them on the meat -- but if you normally do, just leave the sugar out of the mix.

A quick search online finds several sites that argue anything you put in the smoker pan is not going to make a huge difference, flavor wise. If you were planning to use what's in the smoker pan for a sauce/gravy afterwards, while you're doing your Whole30, just skip the sugar -- if other people want a sweetened sauce, they can add sugar (or for more flavor, since you'd lose the smokiness, maybe maple syrup or molasses or brown sugar) when they make the sauce [just to clarify, that would mean you could not have that sauce on Whole30]. (I googled "what do you put in a smoker pan" -- here's an example of one article I found.)

Bottom line is, I don't know how much sugar would be added to your meat from this process, but it is certainly possible to make it without sugar, so during your 30 days, why not be on the safe side?

• 11 months later...
  • Moderators
16 minutes ago, The Czechsperience said:

Hi @ShannonM816, so pulled pork made with ANY amount of sugar is off-plan, right? (This isn't about my recipe, but someone else's.)

I'm not Shannon, but i can tell you, yes, ANY amount of sugar means it's out.

22 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

I'm not Shannon, but i can tell you, yes, ANY amount of sugar means it's out.

Phooey, I figured. One of my students' parents gave me some pulled pork (dry/without bbq sauce) from Mariano's and insisted it didn't have any sugar on it. Called Mariano's. It did. Oh well, back to Day 5.

Archived