Hi all!

My name is Molly, I'm planning on starting my first Whole30 on June 28th, since I'm currently doing a lot of traveling, and that start date should give me plenty of time to get back home (which is currently located in Vancouver, BC) and do all the prep I need. I'll be doing the Whole30 alone, since my boyfriend (who lives with me) isn't 100% on board and none of my friends in the area seems interested. I will have support from at least one of my friends, but she's vegan, so I don't feel entirely comfortable talking to her about all the (delicious) meat I'm going to be eating!

I've read both of the Hartwigs' books, and I'm psyched to start, but I also know that this is going to be a bit of a struggle for me. As a grad student, I'm used to eating whatever I can find that's convenient, cheap, or free. This usually means lots of carby snacks, crappy takeout, and department-subsidized pizza or Timbits. Since I'm doing this over the summer, I should have a lot more freedom to make my own schedule, rather than dashing back and forth from campus to go to classes or teach, but I'm still worried about my research and summer studies driving me to stress-eat, especially with the Tim Hortons right around the corner and a boyfriend whose favorite foods include crap, deep fried crap, and sugar-coated crap. Boyfriend has at least agreed to avoid alcohol with me for 30 days, which will definitely make things easier for me, since alcohol is a big part of grad school socializing and, to be totally honest, there's nothing like a pint to take the edge off a stressful meeting with a professor (a.k.a., any meeting with a professor).

I should probably also note that my area of study is meat and DAIRY in the ancient Mediterranean. There will definitely be days during my whole 30 where it will literally be my job to read about non-compliant foods.  :o

So, I'm here to look for advice, support, ideas, inspiration, and anyone who might be starting on or around the same day. If you are, please do get in touch. I'd love to have some buddies to share the roller coaster ride that is the Whole30!

Molly

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi! I will start on the 28th! I want to give myself some time to ease into it, and so this seems perfect!

I completed my first Whole30 about a year ago, and I desperately need to do another one. I have been living abroad for a few months, and my digestion has gotten progressively worse since then. It's at the point where everyday is a "bad" day, and I'm getting worried and frustrated. I'm also shedding more hair than usual.

A year ago I competed a Whole30 while sharing a tiny, messy kitchen with three roommates, no car, and at least a mile away from a grocery store. This time I have my own apartment with a lovely kitchen (albeit not many kitchen tools) and I am a short walk from a grocery store. Realistically, this should be the easiest Whole30. I also hardly drink anymore, which was certainly not the case a year ago.

My biggest challenge this time around is simply the environment where I am living- the food culture here revolves around dairy and bread. Going out to eat will be difficult, but I don't go out that much right now. Food is generally expensive here, so simple meals are the way to go for me.

I'm looking forward to this group and hopefully we can get a few more people to join in!

I'd actually set July 1 as my start date, and I'm probably old enough to be your grandmother, but I'd love to join the two of you. This is my first Whole 30, but I've been eating what I call "primarily paleo" for about two years.

I am 75, retired, and live in Central Mexico. I consider myself fairly healthy and moderately active, although I have intermittent periods of "feeling lousy." Apparently I have high markers for autoimmune antibodies, but no outright diagnosis of autoimmune disease. At the moment I am about 25 lbs. overweight.

My partner of six years is supportive, but not interested in doing Whole 30 with me, so there will definitely be "non compliant " foods and temptations at home and when we go out. Fortunately, he eats mostly healthy food, but one of his favorite snacks is peanut butter, which is a huge temptation for me! We both like to cook and try new recipes, so that is a plus.

I am rereading the Whole 30 book this week, and over the weekend I will do a menu plan for Week 1 and a grocery shopping list. We have great fruits and vegetables, organic meats and eggs, but not much in the way of special items,

Let the games begin!

Hi all!

My name is Molly, I'm planning on starting my first Whole30 on June 28th, since I'm currently doing a lot of traveling, and that start date should give me plenty of time to get back home (which is currently located in Vancouver, BC) and do all the prep I need. I'll be doing the Whole30 alone, since my boyfriend (who lives with me) isn't 100% on board and none of my friends in the area seems interested. I will have support from at least one of my friends, but she's vegan, so I don't feel entirely comfortable talking to her about all the (delicious) meat I'm going to be eating!

I've read both of the Hartwigs' books, and I'm psyched to start, but I also know that this is going to be a bit of a struggle for me. As a grad student, I'm used to eating whatever I can find that's convenient, cheap, or free. This usually means lots of carby snacks, crappy takeout, and department-subsidized pizza or Timbits. Since I'm doing this over the summer, I should have a lot more freedom to make my own schedule, rather than dashing back and forth from campus to go to classes or teach, but I'm still worried about my research and summer studies driving me to stress-eat, especially with the Tim Hortons right around the corner and a boyfriend whose favorite foods include crap, deep fried crap, and sugar-coated crap. Boyfriend has at least agreed to avoid alcohol with me for 30 days, which will definitely make things easier for me, since alcohol is a big part of grad school socializing and, to be totally honest, there's nothing like a pint to take the edge off a stressful meeting with a professor (a.k.a., any meeting with a professor).

I should probably also note that my area of study is meat and DAIRY in the ancient Mediterranean. There will definitely be days during my whole 30 where it will literally be my job to read about non-compliant foods. :o

So, I'm here to look for advice, support, ideas, inspiration, and anyone who might be starting on or around the same day. If you are, please do get in touch. I'd love to have some buddies to share the roller coaster ride that is the Whole30!

Molly

Hello!

I'm planning to start monday the 27th so I can use this weekend to shop and prep for the week.  I've never done Whole30 before, but I've completed a 21 day clean eating challenge that was put together by my gym.  I've been wanting to do another clean eating challenge because my eating habits have been going in the wrong direction and I have not been feeling as great as I used to.  

A few months ago I started a new job, where my coworkers frequently get takeout for lunch and bring in desserts to share.  This combined with my fiancees sweet tooth makes it very difficult to stay on track.  I'm hoping that we can all motivate each other for the upcoming 30 days  :)

I'm starting on Tuesday, 6/28 also.  We're touring UVM tomorrow and hanging in Burlington, VT, so I didn't want to start on a day like that.

I prepped a ton of food today for Tues-Fri.  Egg cups for breakfasts (eggs, peppers, scallions and a side of fresh salsa), ground chicken with diced tomatoes, peppers, onions, carrots,  & spinach for lunches, then strawberries, mango & raspberries.

I'm planning on doing before pics and measurements tomorrow.

I bought a ton of veggies this weekend and chopped them up so they're ready to go into breakfast, lunch, or dinner.  It's going to be a hot week here so I will be mostly relying on salads and grilled veggies and meats.

My veggies and fruits for the week are:

- Zucchini

- Mini bell peppers

- Green Beans

- Sugar Snap Peas

- Carrots

- Tomatoes 

- Avocado

- Eggplant

- Cucumber

- Red Potatoes

- Sweet Potatoes

- Strawberries

- Blueberries

- Cherries

Proteins:

- Canned tuna (made sure the ingredients were clean)

- Chicken

- Ground Beef

- Eggs

I also purchased a bag of roasted cashews (in sunflower oil) to have in case i get hungry between meals.

I will be doing some more prepping tomorrow by cubing and roasting the potatoes so I can have them ready for breakfast or lunch.  I may do the egg cups too because that sounds delicious! I will do my pictures and measurements tomorrow.

My food log is ready to go and I will post my first day results tomorrow.  Looking forward to seeing everyone else's prep tactics :)

I'm keeping a small journal with me and logging my food each time I eat and putting in a timeframe.  I'm also trying to include how I feel during the day.  For my water intake I just log how many bottles of nalgenes I finished up.  If I have a glass of water or tea during the day I'll just break that out.  I'm also logging my workouts.

Happy first day to everyone starting today and good luck to those starting tomorrow!  My Day 1 is done and I realized that I was not as prepared as I should've been!  Although I had my fruits and veggies chopped up I didn't put enough thought into what I was actually going to make for dinner.  I'm thinking tomorrow will be an easy crockpot dinner and hopefully I can use the leftovers for dinner another night.

Should we post our daily logs to the forum?

I just did my pre-pics and measurements.  I'm sooooo happy to be starting tomorrow.  And I love that there are a handful of us starting on the same day!!

I look forward to check-ins tomorrow and as we all move forward.

Posting daily logs to the forum sounds good to me, as long as people don't mind the extra updates.

I'm prepping almost all my meals for the next week today. I wanted to post a picture of my fridge after only the veg prep, since it's already full of delicious eats (I've been waiting on the meat to defrost--almost there!), but I can't seem to get images to upload to the forum. I'm only getting a little question mark in a box :(

Here's a link to the image if you want to take a look: https://postimg.org/image/m06vc2h29/

So far I've made:

• Creamy and spicy chard and beet greens with pecans and apple-juice-sweetened dried cranberries (adapted from a combo of these two recipes)
  • Salsa from the Whole30 book, to go with eggs and avocado (If you decide to make these, NB: I don't know what kind of tomatoes Melissa and Dallas were using, but for me six tomatoes (the kind that comes on the vine) yielded almost double the two cups the recipe was supposed to make. I had to give one jar to my friend because I couldn't use it up on time. Next time I'll definitely halve the recipe...or throw a party.)
  • Moroccan orange salad
  • Zoodles (and some sweet potato noodles in case of veggie noodle emergencies!)
  • Mayo (from the Whole30 book) + Cholula mayo (omg, SO GOOD!)...well, I made them a couple of days ago
  • Beef stock in the crock pot (a.k.a. bone broth--made yesterday)

Still on the agenda for this evening:

• Italian meatballs to go with the zoodles and some compliant tomato sauce I picked up at Whole Foods (adapting the recipe to what I have on hand)
  • Merguez meatballs (also adapting)
  • Chicken salad, more or less following the protein salad proportions from the Whole30 book
  • Maybe Sunshine Sauce?

Other tasty fruit/veg nibbles for the week:

• Cherries
  • Raspberries
  • Strawberries
  • Blackberries
  • Blueberries (Can you tell I got a great deal on berries at the farmers market? I got some of these a week ago and they're still perfect because I used this awesome trick!)
  • Bell peppers and mini bell peppers
  • Itty bitty cucumbers
  • ALL THE EGGS
  • Kombucha! Yay!!!
  • A boatload of tinned sardines that I bought because I needed to hit a minimum purchase at Safeway to get points and am not a big fan of canned tuna or salmon. Any suggestions for how to use these other than dumping them on a salad or some "noodles?" Most of them are packed in water, although I also got one with tomato sauce.

Now that I think about it, I think I'll probably log everything in my Passion Planner somewhere, even if it's just on post-its stuck onto the days. I already keep track of my water intake there by filling in an adorable little stamp I found with 8 water droplets (one for each glass), so I think that'll be the most natural for me, but I'm happy to post here too!

In case you can't tell, I'm so psyched to start tomorrow! Here's to a month of Good Food!

Hi! My name is Karen, and I started the Whole30 yesterday (June 27). I live just outside of Vancouver BC, where I work as an elementary music teacher. I decided that now would be a good time to start as it is the first week of summer break :) I'm a bit nervous about the first two weeks of July as I have grad school, but I'm sure it will work out.

My partner is currently reading the Whole30 book, and he's interested in it as well. My mom also bought the book yesterday! My eldest son (almost 20) is doing a similar program, so he'll be easy to convince to join along. My middle son (18) eats pretty much anything :) and my youngest (16) seems to be okay with eating what we eat, but he's a bit of a picky eater.

Looking forward to this journey and getting to know everyone!

Hi all! My name is Rachel (Waltham, MA just outside of Boston), and I also started a round of Whole30 today! So far so good :)

This will be my 6th complete round - July 2014 was my first ever, and since then I have really overhauled my diet, and have totally changed my lifestyle! I'm recently engaged, and was also in a wedding this past weekend, so the past two months have been more "less healthy" foods than "more healthy" foods. I'm excited for a full month of Whole30ing, and am really glad that there are others out there starting today too!

Is anyone else active on Instagram, posting Whole30 meals?! I would love to follow some others out there who will be on the same timeline as me :)

Hi! My name is Karen, and I started the Whole30 yesterday (June 27). I live just outside of Vancouver BC, where I work as an elementary music teacher. I decided that now would be a good time to start as it is the first week of summer break :) I'm a bit nervous about the first two weeks of July as I have grad school, but I'm sure it will work out.

My partner is currently reading the Whole30 book, and he's interested in it as well. My mom also bought the book yesterday! My eldest son (almost 20) is doing a similar program, so he'll be easy to convince to join along. My middle son (18) eats pretty much anything :) and my youngest (16) seems to be okay with eating what we eat, but he's a bit of a picky eater.

Looking forward to this journey and getting to know everyone!

I'm glad to see this group growing!  It'll be nice to have all this support :)  

I'm on day 2 now and still going strong.  I haven't noticed much of a difference yet, except that I've been snacking a lot less.  Having a filling breakfast with eggs has been really helping me make it through lunch.  

How's everyone else doing?  

Posting daily logs to the forum sounds good to me, as long as people don't mind the extra updates.

I'm prepping almost all my meals for the next week today. I wanted to post a picture of my fridge after only the veg prep, since it's already full of delicious eats (I've been waiting on the meat to defrost--almost there!), but I can't seem to get images to upload to the forum. I'm only getting a little question mark in a box :(

Here's a link to the image if you want to take a look: https://postimg.org/image/m06vc2h29/

So far I've made:

• Creamy and spicy chard and beet greens with pecans and apple-juice-sweetened dried cranberries (adapted from a combo of these two recipes)
  • Salsa from the Whole30 book, to go with eggs and avocado (If you decide to make these, NB: I don't know what kind of tomatoes Melissa and Dallas were using, but for me six tomatoes (the kind that comes on the vine) yielded almost double the two cups the recipe was supposed to make. I had to give one jar to my friend because I couldn't use it up on time. Next time I'll definitely halve the recipe...or throw a party.)
  • Moroccan orange salad
  • Zoodles (and some sweet potato noodles in case of veggie noodle emergencies!)
  • Mayo (from the Whole30 book) + Cholula mayo (omg, SO GOOD!)...well, I made them a couple of days ago
  • Beef stock in the crock pot (a.k.a. bone broth--made yesterday)

Still on the agenda for this evening:

• Italian meatballs to go with the zoodles and some compliant tomato sauce I picked up at Whole Foods (adapting the recipe to what I have on hand)
  • Merguez meatballs (also adapting)
  • Chicken salad, more or less following the protein salad proportions from the Whole30 book
  • Maybe Sunshine Sauce?

Other tasty fruit/veg nibbles for the week:

• Cherries
  • Raspberries
  • Strawberries
  • Blackberries
  • Blueberries (Can you tell I got a great deal on berries at the farmers market? I got some of these a week ago and they're still perfect because I used this awesome trick!)
  • Bell peppers and mini bell peppers
  • Itty bitty cucumbers
  • ALL THE EGGS
  • Kombucha! Yay!!!
  • A boatload of tinned sardines that I bought because I needed to hit a minimum purchase at Safeway to get points and am not a big fan of canned tuna or salmon. Any suggestions for how to use these other than dumping them on a salad or some "noodles?" Most of them are packed in water, although I also got one with tomato sauce.

Now that I think about it, I think I'll probably log everything in my Passion Planner somewhere, even if it's just on post-its stuck onto the days. I already keep track of my water intake there by filling in an adorable little stamp I found with 8 water droplets (one for each glass), so I think that'll be the most natural for me, but I'm happy to post here too!

In case you can't tell, I'm so psyched to start tomorrow! Here's to a month of Good Food!

This is awesome!!  Thank you for sharing the recipes!

Today was good.  I had two prepped egg cups (eggs, scallions, bell peppers) with fresh salsa for breakfast, ground chicken with tomatoes, carrots, bell peppers, onions, & olives for lunch (prepped ahead as well) and a big salad with chicken, hard boiled eggs, veggies & my own dressing (evoo, red wine vinegar, garlic, pepper, italian seasoning) along with strawberries, raspberries & mango for dinner.  I had a couple of almonds at one point, but have otherwise refrained from snacking.

My most difficult time for snacking has traditionally been right when I get home from work.  I didn't want to snack today, but was low energy.  I laid down for 10 minutes, then got up and did a workout (PiYo buns) before dinner.  I did have coffee today with a shake of cinnamon and a touch of coconut milk.  I only have one medium sized cup in the morning-I haven't decided yet if I'll give it up or not.  I drink a ton of water every day, so that's not a challenge, which is nice.

Hope everyone else has had a good day!!

How did everyone's day go? Today was my day 2, and I was unexpectedly out of the house (at my boyfriend's office) all day. What I thought was going to be a relaxing day at home turned out to be a rush to get out the door and downtown!! Thankfully, I had left overs from yesterday (veggie & sausage frittata for breakfast, and left overs from my Mexican meal last night). I did have enough time to put a roast in the slow cooker. When I got home, I made a HUGE batch (like we're talking 3 cookie sheets full!) of roast veggies with olive oil, balsamic and thyme. Yummy!!! And there are left overs for tomorrow's lunch :) 

How have you all been feeling? I was a bit tired today around 3pm, but that could also be due to the fact that I didn't sleep well (had weird dreams about cinnamon buns!) So far, no real headaches or cravings. Haven't been feeling hungry either. 

Oh! #nsv - at my BF's office today, there was a box of gummy candies on the front desk... walked right past them.

Going to go prep some chia seed pudding (chia seeds, coconut milk, mango, banana and macadamia nuts) for breakfast tomorrow!

BTW - I found some AMAZING compliant sausage at Safeway (I'm in BC, Canada) - the Jamie Oliver Herb & Garlic sausage. SUPER yummy

Archived