Question about eggs for BLW

Rayray16

I recently found a source for local, pasture raised, soy amd gmo free eggs. My baby will (probably) be ready to start baby led weaning over the winter so I was hoping to freeze some of these eggs for later use since they will be much harder to get during the winter. If I lightly beat the eggs and freeze in ice cube trays is it OK to give egg whites to a baby as young as 6-7months? I read somewhere they should have only the yolks until 1 year but freezing just the yolks doesn't work as well. Am I over thinking this?

In general terms well cooked eggs can be given to a baby once they are over 6mths of age.

Eggs are one of the top allergens though with around 2% of the entire world's population thought to have an allergy or hypersensitivity - but this drops dramatically after the age of 5. Most people react to the egg white rather than the yolk, yes, but cooking the yolk denatures about 70% of the proteins so many people who would otherwise be sensitive are okay with cooked eggs or foods containing cooked eggs.

An egg allergy/hypersensitivity is much more likely if one of the parents suffers from food allergies and/or has asthma, or if the child has asthma and/or was given antibiotics within the first 24hrs of their life.

If I thought my child might be prone to an allergy I'd be 1) holding off on introducing eggs for as long as possible to allow the gut to mature (around 9mths is thought to be a more suitable time-frame), and 2) trialling fresh eggs, yolk first, then white in a separate trial - this is me speaking from the perspective of a mum who did extensive food trials with my youngest son who has multiple food allergies, one of which is egg.

In the meantime I'd enjoy those eggs myself  ;)

If you give your baby eggs, just watch carefully after and have some Allegra or Benedryl on hand just in case. I did blw and gave my son eggs yolks at 9 months and unfortunately he was allergic. Neither my husband nor I have any family history of food allergies. Also remember usually (actually never) the first exposure does not produce the allergy, it's the second one, however if you breastfeed and ate that, baby can react the first time they eat it, as my son did.

• 6 months later...

Just Watch carefully.  We fed our three kids scrambled eggs with the yolk and whites from day 1 once we introduced proteins into their diet (around 8 months old).  We did blw with all three.  Loved the method.  Didn't prevent picky eating but i figure this is karma biting me in the butt because I was a very picky eater in my youth/early adulthood.  Lol!

Archived