Eating on the go in the summer

rebbeca

Any ideas for how to eat (particularly lunch) on the go in the summer? Several days a week my 3yo and I leave shortly after breakfast to head out for a morning adventure: the beach, the lake, the children's museum, her gym class, the zoo, the park, the library. She's happy with an almond butter sandwich, some fruit, pretzels with hummus, but obviously on Whole30 that's out for me, and I'm working on changing some of her standard lunch food. Shouldn't be too hard since she generally eats the same whole30 breakfast and dinner that we do. I don't know why but for some reason it seems weird to pack a giant salad with a side protein and dressing like I do during the school year. We don't often sit down to eat lunch on these outings, we just kind of eat on the go so something a little more grab-and-go? For some reference, here's my food log for the past two days. We were hardly home, and I stayed compliant, but didn't do a spectacular job:

Saturday

B: leftover skirt steak, cold, eaten in the car while driving

L: egg salad with homemade mayo on a couple of lettuce leaves, blueberries, homemade larabar (all of this was eaten over a few hours at the lake)

D: I fed my kid an almond butter and jelly sandwich with some blueberries but I didn't eat anything and we both went to bed early. I realize this is not a good choice but I didn't have anything premade and I just did not feel like cooking for just myself.

Sunday

B: of course after no dinner I woke up starving. I roasted some sweet potatoes and green beans and ate them with a piece of grilled chicken. I'm getting sick of eggs at this point and need to figure out some breakfast variety.

L: again this meal was a bit more like snacking all afternoon because we were at the beach. Turkey and mayo in lettuce wraps, hot and spicy pickle slices, green veggie juice picked up on the way to the beach, strawberries

D: I got locked out of my house after the beach and so at 5pm we ended up at a neighbors's house. They made dinner that looked fantastic but was complete with soy and brown sugar. I let my kid eat dinner there but I only ate a bowl of roasted brocolli and sliced mangoes. When I got home I ate the leftover roasted sweet potatoes and veggies, green beans and two applegate hot dogs with mustard and homemade ketchup.

We had a picnic last week with friends. I was able to take my cooler so I put in some salmon and chipotle lime mayo, apple slices (mostly for my daughter. She mooches watermelon off someone else) and left over roasted broccoli. You could probably do something similar or just put leftovers in a cooler and eat it as you're able to

• Moderators

Any ideas for how to eat (particularly lunch) on the go in the summer? Several days a week my 3yo and I leave shortly after breakfast to head out for a morning adventure: the beach, the lake, the children's museum, her gym class, the zoo, the park, the library. She's happy with an almond butter sandwich, some fruit, pretzels with hummus, but obviously on Whole30 that's out for me, and I'm working on changing some of her standard lunch food. Shouldn't be too hard since she generally eats the same whole30 breakfast and dinner that we do. I don't know why but for some reason it seems weird to pack a giant salad with a side protein and dressing like I do during the school year. We don't often sit down to eat lunch on these outings, we just kind of eat on the go so something a little more grab-and-go? For some reference, here's my food log for the past two days. We were hardly home, and I stayed compliant, but didn't do a spectacular job:

Saturday

B: leftover skirt steak, cold, eaten in the car while driving

L: egg salad with homemade mayo on a couple of lettuce leaves, blueberries, homemade larabar (all of this was eaten over a few hours at the lake)

D: I fed my kid an almond butter and jelly sandwich with some blueberries but I didn't eat anything and we both went to bed early. I realize this is not a good choice but I didn't have anything premade and I just did not feel like cooking for just myself.

Sunday

B: of course after no dinner I woke up starving. I roasted some sweet potatoes and green beans and ate them with a piece of grilled chicken. I'm getting sick of eggs at this point and need to figure out some breakfast variety.

L: again this meal was a bit more like snacking all afternoon because we were at the beach. Turkey and mayo in lettuce wraps, hot and spicy pickle slices, green veggie juice picked up on the way to the beach, strawberries

D: I got locked out of my house after the beach and so at 5pm we ended up at a neighbors's house. They made dinner that looked fantastic but was complete with soy and brown sugar. I let my kid eat dinner there but I only ate a bowl of roasted brocolli and sliced mangoes. When I got home I ate the leftover roasted sweet potatoes and veggies, green beans and two applegate hot dogs with mustard and homemade ketchup.

Okay... a couple things.

First, why not try and plan into your day a proper lunch time?  Even if you're 'on the go', you can plan to stop, sit in a park with a blanket etc... and eat a proper lunch.

Second, I'm concerned that you're definitely not eating enough.  My first concern was your M2 on Saturday where you said you ate 'all of this' throughout the afternoon.  Some egg salad on negligible veggies with blueberries and a 'for emergencies only' larabar??  Have you seen the template?  If you're wanting to do a Whole30 during the summer, the template still applies and if you're able to pack the egg salad, you must have a cooler that you can pack a proper lunch in?  Your breakfast from that day was some steak?  So you ate no veggies that day and the only fat was from your egg salad... 

The second day you have no fat in your breakfast.  Your lunch was some turkey and pickles??

You may be feeling fine now (altho I don't see how) but this kind of drastic under eating is going to catch up with you and it's not going to be pretty.  Take a look again at the meal template linked below and whether you're at home or at the lake, make your meals match.

You're right, my meals these past few days have not been template. My Whole30 has not been perfect by my food has been conpliant. It's a giant step from eating chips and guacamole for lunch or stopping to eat at a less than stellar restaurant.

For what it's worth over 20 days into this and I'm feeling fantastic. I only eat 3 meals a day, don't snack, have a ton of energy to keep up with my preschooler, I'm sleeping through the night restfully after the end of the busy school

Year. While it might not seem like enough food to you, I'm feeling for fullfilled and excited about most meals. Oh, and that turkey with worthless lettuce was slathered in homemade mayo so I think I did ok there.

Honestly, your response is why I often hesitate to post here. Every question I've asked gets answered with, "just eat more!" Or some criticism about why my meals aren't perfect. I acknowledged that in my post which is why I asked the question I did. My primary question was never answered. If you were on the go, often eating lunch literally on the go, in the car, in order to avoid the dreaded preschool car nap, what would you pack? In order to not eat those awful non template meals I ate over the past few days, a few fun, packable, mostly ok in the heat of summer go-to meals would actually be helpful. In my pre whole30 days I packed a sandwich, some chips, and a ton of fruit so I'm trying to figure out what to pack now.

• Administrators

Google "Whole30 picnic" and "Whole30 brown bag" for lots of forum hits on packable, on the go meals.  Also there is a Whole30 article called "What's in my cooler" that you can look for too.  Best way to search for answers to common questions such as these is to use google and put "Whole30" before your search term.

Google "Whole30 picnic" and "Whole30 brown bag" for lots of forum hits on packable, on the go meals. Also there is a Whole30 article called "What's in my cooler" that you can look for too. Best way to search for answers to common questions such as these is to use google and put "Whole30" before your search term.

Thank you for this suggestion. You're right, there were quite a few great looking options for us!

We had a picnic last week with friends. I was able to take my cooler so I put in some salmon and chipotle lime mayo, apple slices (mostly for my daughter. She mooches watermelon off someone else) and left over roasted broccoli. You could probably do something similar or just put leftovers in a cooler and eat it as you're able to

Thank you! I don't know why I don't just pre chop a bunch of veggies and make a dip to take with us or some leftover veggies from dinner the day before. I do have a cooler or lunch bag we can bring with us, I'm just lacking in creativity so thanks again!

I've been making bento box style grab and go meals that really work for me. I mostly grab them for breakfast and eat a bit before I work out and then the rest after but I think they'd work for taking out for the day. I do about 3 hours of meal prep each Sunday and it's a lifesaver during the week to have some meals all complete and ready to grab

This week's box has a sliced up chicken apple sausage, salmon patty, deviled egg and roasted broccoli, carrots and a couple olives. It's all easy to eat on the go and it's great cold or sitting out a while (I make sure to eat the egg first since it has homemade mayo). 

Sounds like you're having some great summer adventures with your little one! 

I've been making bento box style grab and go meals that really work for me. I mostly grab them for breakfast and eat a bit before I work out and then the rest after but I think they'd work for taking out for the day. I do about 3 hours of meal prep each Sunday and it's a lifesaver during the week to have some meals all complete and ready to grab

This week's box has a sliced up chicken apple sausage, salmon patty, deviled egg and roasted broccoli, carrots and a couple olives. It's all easy to eat on the go and it's great cold or sitting out a while (I make sure to eat the egg first since it has homemade mayo). 

Sounds like you're having some great summer adventures with your little one! 

This is a fantastic idea! I've been looking for an excuse to buy those cute little bento lunchboxes for the kiddo and I. Thanks for the ideas! And yes - we are having a blast this summer! :)

It is hard to think outside the sandwich/chip box when that is what you have always packed! I don't even like sandwiches & chips but it's always what a pack for a day out.

I have 5 girls and we go on an adventure about once a week. The last one I brought a salad with lots of veggies & protein but like you-it didn't feel right for the occasion. I appreciate you asking & for everyone's suggestions. So helpful!

Hello @rebecca!  

I don't have a little one, but I work out in the field a lot for my job and I go camping quite a bit in the summer.  Last weekend my friends asked me Friday to go on an impromptu boat ride all day Saturday and all I could think was, "Crud... NOW what am I supposed to eat?!"

I packed myself a few seltzer waters and bottled waters, a can of tuna with avocado, lettuce, sweet potato salad (pre-made), and an apple.  I also brought a Larabar in case we were out longer than I expected (which we were lol).  I usually do something similar when I'm out in the field for work, except I do a lettuce wrap.

My biggest suggestion is prepping.  It makes going out on excursions MUCH easier if you can just grab and go.  I receive CSA veggies each week and I wash and spin all of my veggies the day I get it and have it ready to go.

Also, I agree that if you CAN, try and plan a little lunch break.  I know, easier said than done with a little one. BUT part of the program is to take the time to enjoy your food, so it would be nice to spend that lunch time with your daughter and take a little break.

Props to all of you parents out there that do this with little ones! I have no idea how you do it!

Archived