Wisconsin TV anchor's weight story

Emily

This isn't Whole30 related, so mods if you want to remove it I understand.

However, I felt like it is related to the conversations about body image, culture, food, and weight that often happen on this forum. A TV anchor in Wisconsin received an email telling her that she was not a good role model for children because of her weight. You can see her response at the link below; in my opinion she is very gracious and makes some really good points.

A part of me wants to send her the Whole30 link but I don't really know anything about her, so I don't want to make any assumptions.

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/national/jennifer-livingston-bully-video-wkbt-anchor-on-today-show-after-responding-to-bully-email

I also saw that story, and then last night (sorry, don't recall which channel...probably either CNN or NBC news), I saw that a reporter had sought out the original emailer of the story. He was a youngish, normal-weight guy. He said that the never meant to hurt the anchor, and that he himself had had a weight problem in the past, dealt with it, and wanted help. Interesting.

I saw this also, and I think her resonse was very appropriate. One thing I noticed is that several times she indicated that know one knows what another's situation is or what they are going through. She did not indicate that she had a medical problem but made me wonder. Some critics agreed with the e mailer because of the fact that obesity is such an epidemic in this country and she is a public figure.

Sending her the Whole30 could be a lovely gift or taken as an insult. We all have to come to this point when we are ready. Maybe this attention will cause her to evaluate her health or maybe not. As a person who has gained and lost my whole life I know you can not do it until you are ready to do it for yourself with no other motivation.

That said, I think the biggest problem with the whole e mail issue was that the mailer indicated that the anchor should be a role model. She is paid to report the news, not set an example for other. She is attractive, well dressed and articulate. She has a voice for the news. We should not hold her to any standard other than her ability to accurately report news. If we do, we need to get on the professional athletes who act inappropriately for millions more than a news anchor from LaCrosse WI, (not a huge city), or actors who are constantly in the news for their indescretions yet we pay hard earned money to admire them on screen, or the singer who was arrested for heroin possession the day before you download their song on itunes. Just something to think about.

Day 5 and feeling strong.

That said, I think the biggest problem with the whole e mail issue was that the mailer indicated that the anchor should be a role model. She is paid to report the news, not set an example for other. She is attractive, well dressed and articulate. She has a voice for the news. We should not hold her to any standard other than her ability to accurately report news. If we do, we need to get on the professional athletes who act inappropriately for millions more than a news anchor from LaCrosse WI, (not a huge city), or actors who are constantly in the news for their indescretions yet we pay hard earned money to admire them on screen, or the singer who was arrested for heroin possession the day before you download their song on itunes. Just something to think about.

Really good points! You articulated what I wasn't able to... and really well!

I've been thinking about this all day. The other thing that really stands out to me is the email author's implication that losing weight is easy for everyone-- just eat a few less cheeseburgers and soda, right? I think it's important to acknowledge that weight loss is not easy for everyone, for many of the reasons that Whole9 have taught us (especially me) about. I remember doing everything I knew, eating "healthy" (at that time I thought that was high carb low fat), exercising regularly, drinking lots of water... and maybe losing a half pound in two months, or even gaining weight! It was so frustrating!

For anyone who is overweight, I would like to see us as a culture recognize that it doesn't mean the person is necessarily not trying to lose weight.

I am on the fence, but I mostly have no sympathy here.

First: She is in the public eye. It's in the job description that some people are going to love you and some people are going to hate you. It's not a shock. She made an educated decision, given the above, to continue this career path. That alone makes me have very little sympathy for the situation.

Secondly: She made this public. He sent her a private email, which expressed concern, with as much tact as you could probably muster, given the topic. Overstepping boundaries? None of his business? Totally, but see above.

That being said, we don't know her, we don't know her context, and judging is not fair.

Archived