I had a norovirus (stomach flu) last week at a camp I was at and I am not recovering very well so I went to the doctor.  He put me on carafate (lots of sweetening in that!), prilosec and a low residue diet for two weeks.  The diet is very difficult alone and almost impossible while trying to stay mostly Whole 30 compliant, limited veggies and fruits, white rice and bread, dairy, etc.  Anyone have any experience with this and is it possible to stay mostly compliant while doing this or is it even a good idea to stay compliant?  

• Moderators

It sounds like you might be better off putting your whole30 off until you are feeling better and more in a position to really follow the rules.  I can't imagine white bread, dairy and rice is going to make a person sensitive to any of those feel better but that's a choice you have to make...

I think I can make this work, just eat more cooked vegetables, cooked fruits like applesauce, potatoes and not so many raw foods but still be mostly compliant. I think the coconut ban is folk wisdom and I will ignore that.  I will also ignore the idea that peppers and zukes have too much residue, I can't live without them.

I think the coconut ban is folk wisdom and I will ignore that.  I will also ignore the idea that peppers and zukes have too much residue, I can't live without them.

Is it coconut flesh that is banned? Or coconut milk? I'm guessing the ban is based on the types of sugars it contains which could lead to gastric issues in a stomach with already unfriendly bacteria. The skin on the peppers & seeds in the zukes are fibrous and that's exactly what you're being told to avoid. A low residue diet is low fibre with the aim being for foods NOT to pass quickly through the intestine.

If you are going to try & stay compliant I'd be inclined to stick fairly low FODMAP and I'd add in Kombucha or some kind of probiotic to encourage the friendly gut bacteria. If you have foods that are going to take their time passing through you'd want a friendly environment for them to dwell in, not one that is going to cause fermentation in the gut.

You are probably right.  I will see how I heal or if I heal and gradually get stricter if things are not healing. I am already feeling somewhat better.  I didnt have to get up at 5 with a burning stomach this morning.  I would much rather use the diet rather than prolonged prilosec. I am drinking kombucha and eating a little fermented food like kim chee every morning.  And low FODMAP probably is the way. I only found the coconut ban in one version of the LRD and will ask my doctor what he thinks about coconut oil.  

Archived