I'm worried I'll gain weight on whole30!

Hi,

I'm day 2 of whole 30 and I've been eating like a champion...but in really worried after 30 days Od eating like this I'll turn into a blimp! Can anyone offer any advice?

Yesterday I ate:

Breakfast: 1/2 roasted sweet potato, spinach and one egg

Lunch: about two handfuls of natural almonds and some sultanas because I was on the go.

Afternoon: bAnana

Dinner: shepherds pie from whole30 book (so delicious i ate so much I got a stomach ache!)

Today:

Breakfast: 1/4 sweet potato, egg, spinach

Lunch: 3x skin on chicken drumsticks

Afternoon: 1.5 bananas

Sml piece leftover shepherds pie

Dinner: roast pork and veg with Apple purée

I've been eating because I've been hungry but maybe I should choose lower fat foods?

Thanks!

Yeah, um, no - you need to eat more - especially at breakfast...

When eggs are your only source of protein in a meal a serving is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand. Even most small women can manage 3-4 - or you could add in a different protein source like fish or ground beef here.

Nuts should be limited to a closed handful every other day, max - they can be particularly hard on the digestive system, and they have a poor omega 3:6 ratio - so not ideal for lunch, even if you were on the go... Your banana yesterday was understandable given that you didn't eat lunch, but really fruit shouldn't be eaten on it's own as a snack as it can impact blood sugars, skew your appetite/mood, and feed the sugar dragon.

Dinner yesterday looks better, but I'd have been inclined to add a side of veg, and some additional fat.

Today, breakfast again is lacking in protein & fat. Protein gives you staying power, fat provides energy & satiety - this is why you needed the snacks - start your day as you mean to go on, or you'll invariably spend the rest of the day playing catch up.

Lunch was okay for protein - but no veggies?? No fat? (ok, so arguably the chicken was skin on, but still...)

Then you've had more bananas which obviously haven't satisfied you meaning you ate more leftover pie.

Dinner looks better, but did you add fat?

So... from tomorrow - 1-2 palm sized pieces of protein, 1-3 cups of veg, and a generous serving of fat x3 times a day, 4-5hrs apart, the first within an hour of wakening. If you choose to eat fruit eat it with or as part of a meal. If you are genuinely hungry between meals have a mini meal of at least two of the three food groups - something like a hard-boiled egg & mayo works well. Drink at least a half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily & remember to salt your food. That 4-5hr window between meals is when the magic happens - that's when the body learns to tap into your fat stores for fuel...

And please, embrace the fat, do not avoid it.

Thanks, that was so helpful!

3-4 eggs seems like a LOT of egg....maybe if I scrambled them I'd have a better chance of eating them all. Is curry powder ok? I think I read clove of India is permitted?

I do feel im eating a lot and a lot of fat though...and I don't want to gain weight.

Yeah, um, no - you need to eat more - especially at breakfast...

So... from tomorrow - 1-2 palm sized pieces of protein, 1-3 cups of veg, and a generous serving of fat x3 times a day, 4-5hrs apart, the first within an hour of wakening. If you choose to eat fruit eat it with or as part of a meal. If you are genuinely hungry between meals have a mini meal of at least two of the three food groups - something like a hard-boiled egg & mayo works well. Drink at least a half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily & remember to salt your food. That 4-5hr window between meals is when the magic happens - that's when the body learns to tap into your fat stores for fuel...

And please, embrace the fat, do not avoid it.

Hi,

I'm day 2 of whole 30 and I've been eating like a champion...but in really worried after 30 days Od eating like this I'll turn into a blimp! Can anyone offer any advice?

Yesterday I ate:

Breakfast: 1/2 roasted sweet potato, spinach and one egg yolk

Lunch: about two handfuls of natural almonds and some sultanas because I was on the go.

Afternoon: bAnana

Dinner: shepherds pie from whole30 book (so delicious i ate so much I got a stomach ache!)

Today:

Breakfast: 1/4 sweet potato, egg, spinach yolk

Lunch: 3x skin on chicken drumsticks

Afternoon: 1.5 bananas

Sml piece leftover shepherds pie

Dinner: roast pork and veg with Apple purée

I've been eating because I've been hungry but maybe I should choose lower fat foods?

Thanks!

Ok, I've highlighted all of your fat from two days worth of food. This is not a lot, and if you continue to under-eat & particularly under-eat in terms of fat you will start to feel miserable, you will have a decrease in energy, and you'll start to crave off limit foods. Your body will slow down it's metabolism so as to preserve what little fuel you are providing, and you may gain weight due to the stress you'll be putting your body under.

Or you could heed the advice in my initial post, feel better, feel energised, feel happy in & of yourself, remove cravings, see many other NSVs, and you may lose some weight as a pleasant side effect of honouring your body by feeding it wholesome nutritious foods  ;) 

Add just to add to jmcbn's excellent advise - I eat waaaaaaay more than I ever did my life and I managed to lose 35lbs in 7 months by eating between paleo and whole 30 style.

The minute I under eat in any way - my body will let me know immediately.  

I encourage you to trust the process - because it will help you in the long-term.

Fat is phat. Or really, we as a society have been brainwashed not to like it. We have been told a lot of incomplete science that makes it seem that fat is the reason our society is fat. It's not. The reasons are more complicated than I can tell you but, your body NEEDS fat. Not only is it a cleaner source of energy for our bodies but our brain is a lot of fat and we lose essential vitamins with no fat (like Vitamin A & D & E, all are essential, all need fat to be absorbed although our bodies can simulate D) so eat up on fat! It'll take a lot more than just fat to make your body gain weight

I feel like I'm eating an insane amount of food, too, and had to be told to up my fat intake as well, which I did... and I still think(?) I'm losing weight (clothes seem a little looser, bathing suit came on more easily). The goal of this isn't necessarily to lose weight, and it's counter-intuitive to what has been preached to us for so long. However... this is about getting to the baseline healthy state for your body, and you don't get to decide where that is. Genetics, environment, and past you have made that decision. Establish the baseline, and once that's done, you can move it.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone, that's all so helpful.

I guess just being new to this I started to freak out. I'm not doing this to lose weight as such, but I'm certainly not very keen on gaining weight!

I'll follow all of the advice and see how I go.

Thanks again!

I did a Whole30 and I experienced a lot of positive health changes -- allergies calmed down, I had more energy throughout day, I lost the snack cravings and my skin looked great.

But I gained 0.5 pounds over the month. There was a period around Day 10-15 where I felt bloated and huge, so I was actually surprised to have only gained a half pound. 

There's no guarantee you'll lose weight. There's no guarantee you won't gain weight.

But I will say that I'm now doing another 30 days, and I'm going to watch my protein portions more closely. (Like keep it to 1 palm equivalent as opposed to eating the equivalent of 2 whenever I felt like it.) 

Larna - from your picture, you don't look 'fat' in fact you look positively skinny (from what I can see from the pic) - don't worry at all about eating too much, or putting on weight.  just think of it as eating healthier.

My advice: head the advice of the people on this forum. I was eating like you do as well and ended up voraciously hungry. I incorporated the suggestions given to me here and am doing much better. I am not sure how much weight I have lost, but yesterday I had to replace my very small work pants as they literally fell off. My husband told me I now have "A little kids bum". So eat. This process is teaching you how to change your diet for the better and cutting calories is not always the answer to getting healthier.

Archived