Compliant beverages

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Moderators
50 minutes ago, Ed Howell said:

Why isn't unsweetened cranberry juice permitted and unsweetened Pomegranate Juice is acceptable

I'm not sure where you read that it isn't permitted. Any unsweetened juice with no added, non-compliant ingredients is allowed, although you shouldn't be drinking them straight, they're usually to us as ingredients in other dishes, or for adding just a splash to water for a little flavor occasionally.

This is from the Can I Have list:

Fruit Juice: Yes

Fruit juice is the only acceptable added sweetener on the Whole30. (We had to draw the line somewhere.) Use it to flavor sauces, soups, or entrees.

Tip: While drinking a glass of fruit juice may be technically compliant, we really wouldn’t recommend it, even if you juice it yourself. Juicing strips many of the nutrients out of the fruit, but still leaves all of the sugar. We’d much rather you just eat the fruit.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Ed Howell said:

thanks for the clarification,  it wasn't listed among the acceptable foods and I made the assumption that it wasn't.   BTW, I can't imagine anyone using unsweetened  cranberry juice as a sweetener :-(

Yeah, in the case of cranberry juice, not so much a sweetener :o, but a way to add a different flavor -- maybe a splash in some sparkling water, or I could even see it maybe being part of something like a salad dressing.

If the list of acceptable foods you're talking about is the shopping list you can download, keep in mind that there's no way they could list every single thing that is acceptable. A while back we had someone assume iceberg lettuce wasn't compliant because it wasn't actually listed on the list. No, it's just that listing every single vegetable, including every possible variety of that vegetable, would make the list a bit unwieldy and not very helpful. So be sure you know the rules, and then use that to guide your decisions. And then if something is really not clear, you can always come back and ask, or google to see if it's been discussed before.

Archived