Starting Whole30 on July 18

jlowe15

Hello all! We're starting Whole30 on July 18. My boyfriend, Will, and I are fairly clean eaters (ish?) with aspirations of greatness despite our love of bread. Wish us luck! I'll make posts on Instagram with #Whole30 and #Whole30Approved.

If you have tips, tricks or insights let me know as we're both slightly concerned that we (not literally) might die without bread and cheese. 

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad to see a few more people are starting monday! I am trying to figure out my grocery shopping list tonight. I have the book, so I am mostly going to follow the pre-made 7-day meal plan for the first week, just to make it easier on myself. Shopping on Sunday. 

Hi everyone! I'm starting my 3rd W30 on the 18th, too. I have been living Paleo for 3 years with great success so I like to refocus by doing an annual W30 to get myself back to basics.

Looking forward to joining you all on this journey.

Cheers!

Betsie

This is my 4th attempt at a Whole30 (apparently I have no self-control). I actually have started today, Sunday, July 17. I started my 3rd Whole30 on July 1 and fell off the wagon this weekend. It's NOT WORTH IT!!! Stay on the wagon. Now I have to start all over again. Good news is that I didn't stay off the wagon for weeks and months as per usual. 

I will be starting my first Whole30 on Monday, 7/18 as well, along with 2 of my friends who are also my co-workers.  We will be motivators, happy positive thoughts, helpers to each other!  And yes, strength in numbers we shall be.

You are so lucky to have great friends / co-workers to do this with you. I bet you will get great support. When you guys get bored of your own food you can food swap or have a pot luck dinner. So fun! You will do great.

Hello! I am starting my first W30 on the 19th with a reluctant husband and 3 kids that will need non compliant meals. All advice and tips welcome, it's a little overwhelming!

I make my family fend for themselves for breakfast and lunch. Cereal and sandwiches. If they don't like it then they can have some of my compliant food. For dinner we all eat whatever I am cooking for my Whole30. I usually make a pot of rice too which isn't too tempting for me. Or if I make hamburgers I put mine over a huge salad and they have their buns. The hardest part for me is having their food around my food in the pantry. I did clear a shelf but last week a box of wheat thins kept making its way to my shelf. After the third time of moving it to a different shelf I took it outside and fed it too the birds. 

Hello! I am starting my first W30 on the 19th with a reluctant husband and 3 kids that will need non compliant meals. All advice and tips welcome, it's a little overwhelming!

I'm a single mom to a toddler, which is probably what I'm most nervous about for whole30, because I have to feed my son and he won't get enough nutrition if I only offer him whole 30 foods. He just won't eat enough, since he pretty much won't eat meat.

I'm also starting Monday 7/18.  Very excited, nervous about falling off wagon when making non-Whole30 dinner for our 4 little kiddos!  For those other moms doing that also - I'm going to make sure I eat my meal first and fill up, hopefully that will help any wayward snacking.   But - did a ton of food prep today so Week1 is hopefully going to be easy :)  Been Paleo-ish for 3ish years, but nothing like this.  Really need a full "re-set" and looking forward to seeing how things go on re-introduction.  Got to get through the 30 days first thought! Looking forward to hearing how it goes every day for you all!

Hi! I'm Ali, I'm 23 and from Texas! I have been on a million diets and have failed them all. Gonna give this a shot and hopefully it will give me the jumpstart I need. I'm getting the book tomorrow so will read it within the next few days. I'm most nervous/sad about cutting out coffee creamer, cheese, and alcohol :(

Hi! I'm Megan, 26 and from North Carolina! Today is my first day of Whole 30 and I'm overall excited, but a little nervous too! I've recruited my boyfriend although I'm not sure if he'll stay totally compliant. I'm definitely looking for support through this forum and hoping to give some as well! I'm most excited about the reset and trying to figure out what's causing bloating, but losing a few extra pounds wouldn't be the worst thing in the world ;)

Hi! I'm Lauren, 26 and living in Maine.  I am restarting the Whole30 today, after attempting it 2 times before.  I'm hoping this time I can stay on track throughout the entire 30 days!  I'm doing it alone; although my husband will be eating whole30 dinners without realizing it lol.  But usually I make some kind of carb or something that noncompliant to accommodate him.  Although I am not only doing the Whole30 to lose weight, it is one of the the benefits I would like to see.  My husband, on the other hand, wants to gain weight. So our goals are pretty opposite of each other (which can make cooking difficult for sure).   

I'm hoping with the support of the community I'll be able to stay on track and make it through! Good luck to everyone today!

Hi! I'm Anne from Maryland and this is my first Whole30 (starting today!)  I'm super nervous because I've always had a hard time sticking to a plan, even when they included cheat days! But that's why I'm doing this - to hopefully change my relationship with food. I've also had some GI issues and I think inflammation issues, so I'm really hoping to notice a difference there. Losing weight would be an awesome side effect! I need to lose between 50 and 75lbs - actual goal weight TBD, I just want to be fit and healthy and strong :D      

I have 5 kids, ages 20, 11, 9, 5 and 2!  So my biggest hurdle is meal planning and prep, just because I'm already so busy. I just have to start making it a priority! Good luck to everyone!

Excited to see so many people starting today! Have faith and trust in yourself that you CAN do this and you will feel sooo much better in the end!

Having done W30s before, my two best pieces of advice are:

1. Plan ahead! Know what you're going to eat every day and have a plan to make it work for your life - realistically.

2. Keep it simple! W30 doesn't mean cooking exotic menus each day - especially if you don't cook regularly already. A protein and some sauteed veg with some avocado on top is fast and easy and compliant. Make it work for your life and don't make it harder than it needs to be.

I'm so ready to get refocused on my nutrition and health needs! Cheers to everyone on their 30 day journey!

Betsie

Hi Everyone. I am starting July 18th also. My name is Lynn and I just turned 50.  Heard about this from my neighbors who are doing this. They are about 2 weeks in.  I know this is going to be tough as I am a very picky eater and so I know I will end up eating the same things over and over.  But am trying a few new things.  Would love to lose some weight and get rid of the sugar cravings (pepsi and chocolate).  Cut up some sweet potatoes the other day to try them and pan fried them in extra virgin olive oil.  Surprisingly, they were really good.  So, that is going to be one of my go to's.  My daughter wants to try spaghetti squash so going to attempt that one later this week. 

I just keep telling myself  that it is only 30 days.  Just take it one day at a time.  Did a lot of shopping this weekend so hopefully should be good for the week. 

Hey everyone, I'm Allison from Maryland and I started today, too. I'm excited to see so many other people starting at the same time! I woke up this morning and suddenly felt like I'm not as prepared as I need to be, but I keep reminding myself that I don't have to make complicated food and that it's possible to eat salad for lunch :) I made sure to tell a LOT of people that I'm doing this, so hopefully it'll keep me motivated to follow through. I'm lucky enough that my fiancee agreed to do it with me (with one exception) so I'm going home today and shoving all non-compliant food to the dark back corner of the pantry. 

Glad so many are on this thread!!  Breakfast and lunch and healthy snacks done no problem (feeling much too accomplished for 10 hours down with no cheating), prepped dinner in crockpot ready to go.  I'm following the Whole30 meal plan from http://www.ourpaleolife.com/2013/09/whole30-meal-plan-week-1/

with a few modifications/additions .  

Bacon (had to go to Whole Foods to find compliant bacon, not cheap but very tasty, will be a treat) and eggs for breakfast, nice and easy.

I miss my coffee creamer so much - did coconut oil in the coffee and put in too much, was really "greasy" for a drink, which is weird.  Maybe I'll just start to give up coffee? Never thought I'd do that, but turns out I may have been drinking it for the creamer :/

The Chicken Bacon salad was delicious for lunch, hoping the Minestrone Soup comes out of the crockpot and tastes as good as it smells.

Also, saw this link on FB for a "Tasty" recipe (those little food videos that make stuff look so easy) - looks amazing and seems compliant, can't wait to try it!  Roasted Veggie Salad with avocado dressing - looks pretty easy!  http://bzfd.it/28SbQuJ

One day almost done, folks, keep it up! :)
Kelley

Hi everybody! I'm Heather from Toronto. Today is Day 1 of the Whole30 for me and I'm excited to have an enthusiastic group to share this journey with. So far it's going really well, I've had three delicious meals today (prosciutto and melon w/ avocado and spinach, big green salad w/ tons of veg and tuna in olive oil, and spaghetti squash bolognaise). I hope you've all had a great first day too!

Archived