Starting Whole30 on July 18

jlowe15

Hey everyone!

Day 2 is going well so far. My husband is picking up our CSA veggies tonight, so I am planning on meal prepping and shopping tomorrow. Tonight I am making a stirfry and going from there.

Today and yesterday I have been feeling hungry between lunch and dinner. I'm trying to figure out if I need to add more food. Here's what I've had so far

breakfast: 1 eggs and a bunch of egg whites scrambled with reds hot sauce, 1 leftover salmon cake, and 1 banana with nut butter.

Lunch: leftover kale salad mixed with radishes, red onions, pine nuts, sunflower seeds, and blueberries topped with 3 hard boiled eggs. And a pear.

I also had 3 dried dates and a packet of pistachios (the bag says 1.5 ounces). What should I add to feel less hungry? I have been drinking water and so far I've 80 ounces.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Hey everyone!

Day 2 is going well so far. My husband is picking up our CSA veggies tonight, so I am planning on meal prepping and shopping tomorrow. Tonight I am making a stirfry and going from there.

Today and yesterday I have been feeling hungry between lunch and dinner. I'm trying to figure out if I need to add more food. Here's what I've had so far

breakfast: 1 eggs and a bunch of egg whites scrambled with reds hot sauce, 1 leftover salmon cake, and 1 banana with nut butter.

Lunch: leftover kale salad mixed with radishes, red onions, pine nuts, sunflower seeds, and blueberries topped with 3 hard boiled eggs. And a pear.

I also had 3 dried dates and a packet of pistachios (the bag says 1.5 ounces). What should I add to feel less hungry? I have been drinking water and so far I've 80 ounces.

Your breakfast is rather lacking in vegetables and you could use 3-4 whole eggs rather than any egg-white.  Why are you using egg whites? Banana & nutbutter is not your best choice for produce/fat, especially first thing in the morning as it can cause blood sugar surges that will later on cause false/early hunger and later day cravings.

Your lunch is suitable for protein but appears to be lacking in fat. You would also want to make sure that salad was huge (think: mixing bowl sized) since leafy green tend to be mostly water and munch down to nothing, volume-wise. Make sure you have lots of sturdier veggies or even some cooked veggies thrown in there.

The dates/pistachio combo, similar to your banana nut butter combo is not ideal and will tend to keep any sugar-dragon/cravings alive and well. Consider dried fruits as a condiment in salads/recipes and don't eat them outright as a snack, they are nature's candy.

Your breakfast is rather lacking in vegetables and you could use 3-4 whole eggs rather than any egg-white.  Why are you using egg whites? Banana & nutbutter is not your best choice for produce/fat, especially first thing in the morning as it can cause blood sugar surges that will later on cause false/early hunger and later day cravings.

Your lunch is suitable for protein but appears to be lacking in fat. You would also want to make sure that salad was huge (think: mixing bowl sized) since leafy green tend to be mostly water and munch down to nothing, volume-wise. Make sure you have lots of sturdier veggies or even some cooked veggies thrown in there.

The dates/pistachio combo, similar to your banana nut butter combo is not ideal and will tend to keep any sugar-dragon/cravings alive and well. Consider dried fruits as a condiment in salads/recipes and don't eat them outright as a snack, they are nature's candy.

The reason I had egg whites was because I only had one egg left, and I knew one egg wouldn't cut it. Eggs are on my grocery list.

Day 2 almost done, amazing how many times I had to tell myself "don't eat that, no mindless nibbling" as I cooked/cleaned up dinner for the kiddos - and then gave them ice cream!  Normally would take a few bites here and there the whole time without "really" eating the bad stuff.  Those little cheats probably always added up!

Eggs/bacon for breakfast

Minestrone soup with sausage (recipe from our paleo life - amazingly delicious) for luch

Roasted veggies (brussel sprouts/cauliflower/broccoli/garlic w/oil/salt/pepper - had to remember to put them in the oven 60 min before dinner) - DELICIOUS

Pan cooked chicken thighs (oil/salt/pepper/cinnamon - another great recipe from that site, and so easy/fast)

lots of blueberries/grapes/almonds for snacks all day.

Excited to go to bed b/c it means 1 more day done successfully :)

Happy day 3 everyone! :)  Be ready: mid-week can get more challenging because..well, life. But, just keep on keeping on - always have a plan A and B for what to eat and you'll be ok. My main side goals for my 3rd W30 are to limit snacking in the afternoon and after dinner and also to decrease my potato consumption and increase my consumption of varied veggies (I have been in a rut and have used potatoes as a crunch). So far, I'm doing well with my side goals. Only tiny snacking on carrot sticks dipped in homemade mayo with some spicy veg dip blended in.

I know people struggle with breakfast on W30, so I thought I would share my typical breakfast (year-round!): I make a veggie scramble:  chopped veggies (usually squash, onion, sweet peppers, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes - but whatever I have in the fridge goes in) sauteed in olive oil or bacon fat, then add in chopped bacon or crumbled sausage, add some chopped greens (kale, spinach, chard), then scramble in a couple of eggs. I like to spice it up with red or green chile powder, also. Sometimes I top with avocado or my homemade sauerkraut.  I pre-chop the veggies and store them in a little container so I can just throw a handful in my pan in the morning - I usually only have to chop about twice per week. It seriously takes less than 10 minutes to cook it all up and it's very satisfying. :wub:

Cheers!

Betsie

I'm starting tomorrow, 7/21, but thought I'd jump on this thread :)

I started experiencing reactive hypoglycemia symptoms about 5 years ago. With a little help from my primary care PA, I figured out how to manage the symptoms (i.e. not pass out). Since then I've gained about 15 lbs despite being extremely active (road & mtn biking, competitive roller derby, backpacking, etc.) and actively dieting for at least 1/3 of that time. I experienced a severe ankle sprain about a year ago. Since then, I just haven't felt my best. ISWF helped me see the connection between my insulin resistance, my complete inability to lose weight, and my chronic inflammation.

My biggest problem is that I cope and reward with sweets/carbs. That turns out to be a lot of refined carbs. "Don't eat as many carbs" sounds like simple advice, but I always struggle with it. I can "be good" for a while, but there's always a rebound. Whole30 is kind of my nuclear solution. I also have a couple competitive events at the end of August and I'm a little worried that my training/performance will be impacted, but I've accepted that this is more important for my long term health & performance.

I'm excited to start this journey with you all & am grateful to have a place to discuss the challenges and successes!

Hello, it's day 3 here for me too! I hope you're all doing well. Although I have felt organized food-wise and have been planning all my meals out, today was a bit of a surprise in that work took over and I missed my lunch (a delicious chicken salad). Thank goodness for my Lara bar and a piece of fruit in my purse, not ideal but kept the hunger at bay for the day (I was offsite so my salad was far away). 

It's a good reminder that no matter how perfect I want these 30 days to go I might have to adapt from time to time...next time I'll pack some purse veggies just in case! Better yet, I'll try to plan my work day better so I don't miss lunch.

Good luck to everyone as you start getting organized for day 4! Happy to be sharing this journey with all of you.

I can't believe its already the end of day 3! I've stuck to plan, and have decided not to bother making some of the recipes in my week's plan because I have so many leftovers to eat and I'm doing this on my own.

I am pleasantly surprised that I have felt mostly normal the past three days. My muscles were sore and I've been tired today, but nothing extreme. I'm feeling really positive about this!

I'm hoping to get rid of my really bad allergies, exhaustion, depression, and low "chi" (sp?) (per my acupuncturist). Anyone else have experience in tackling these problems with dietary changes?

So I started Monday July 18 th as well. Just kinda bought the book on my tablet and jumped right in. So far so good. I did order a copy from the library because it's a little hard to navigate thru the kindle. Completed day 3 with just a little headache. I wasn't a horrible eater but certainly not the best. Anyways good luck to everyone:-))

Hi Everyone!

Joining this group - just starting today July 21st for my first Whole30! 

I've recently gotten my first food allergies, which is a bit frustrating after being able to eat practically everything so I'm trying this as a way to see what is triggering them by doing the elimination and slow reintroduction. I'll be a bit challenged at first as won't have access to my own kitchen for the first week plus, so will have to be careful about finding the right meals at cafes/restos.  So while I can't meal plan or prep now b/c of that, hopefully I will be able to by mid-next week.

The tough bits for me will definitely be sugar (chocolate!), dairy and wine - but a month ought to be doable!  I just bought the 'It Starts with Food' book yesterday, and so far I've had breakfast & lunch - so here goes :)

Look forward to hear how everyone's month goes, and if there are any particularly yummy/easy recipes to share - Betsie's morning breakfast routine sounds delish & I can't wait to try that later.

Cheers!

Day 4.  Not feeling so bad. I thought I would have headaches more (especially with the no caffeine, I was a pepsi drinker.  Don't like coffee).  Seems to be going OK.  My issue is that I am such a picky eater that a lot of the things you guys are eating I don't like.  Plain and simple stuff for me, which makes it harder.  Don't like a whole lot of vegi's so it get really repetitive.  My Daughter and I tried spagehetti squash last night. Not sure if we did it wrong but it was horrible.  Not having that again. 

Another problem I find is eating vegi's at breakfast.  I just can't do it.  I always ate breakfast at work (cereal or PB toast)  but I have now been making eggs before I leave for work and eating them but I just can't eat vegi's too at that time of the morning.  I do have a banana later in the morning at work.  Hopefully that is Ok. I know it is now how the plan is set up but I decided I also have to make the plan work for me or I will not stay on it. 

Have a great day everyone. 

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but these first 3 days have felt pretty easy!  For sure the meal prep has helped so much. I also re-arranged the fridge so the top 2 shelves are "Whole30" only - meats, eggs, veggies, fruits and the little meal prep containers. I don't even allow myself to look anywhere else in the fridge when opening the door. Did the same thing in the pantry, made the top shelf "Whole30" only, with nuts, nut butter, coconut chips etc. 

Have just realized though that I'm "out" of prepped meals after tonight, so need to do something to be prepared for the weekend. 

Have a great day everyone!

Day 4.  Not feeling so bad. I thought I would have headaches more (especially with the no caffeine, I was a pepsi drinker.  Don't like coffee).  Seems to be going OK.  My issue is that I am such a picky eater that a lot of the things you guys are eating I don't like.  Plain and simple stuff for me, which makes it harder.  Don't like a whole lot of vegi's so it get really repetitive.  My Daughter and I tried spagehetti squash last night. Not sure if we did it wrong but it was horrible.  Not having that again. 

Another problem I find is eating vegi's at breakfast.  I just can't do it.  I always ate breakfast at work (cereal or PB toast)  but I have now been making eggs before I leave for work and eating them but I just can't eat vegi's too at that time of the morning.  I do have a banana later in the morning at work.  Hopefully that is Ok. I know it is now how the plan is set up but I decided I also have to make the plan work for me or I will not stay on it. 

Hi Lynn - have you tried sweet potatoes? Those can be really yummy and are easy.  Poke it with a fork a bunch of times, then wrap a sweet potatoe in a wet paper towel (definitely wet all over, not just damp) and put it in the microwave on high for 8 minutes. Let it sit in the microwave a few minutes, then take out and unwrap and it should be nice and soft.  Ghee and cinnamon on it are really good, and it's pretty filling too.  My other go to vegetable is avocados - not sure if you like those or not, but they're filling, and really good with Tajin (Mexican seasoning) sprinkled on them as a snack or with eggs in the morning.  I agree on spaghetti squash - hit or miss and not as good as the real thing!  Bananas are fine but as someone else said since they're on the sweet side, they'll leave you wanting more sweet stuff - so adding some nuts or something having something else non-sweet on hand will be good after that too.  

Have a good day :)

Lynn - I think you're right that you have to work with what you do like in order to stay on track, especially if this is a fairly big change in the way you have been eating. Baby steps! When I first started out, I couldn't dream of veggies for breakfast either! I had been eating cereal and fruit my whole life! So, I moved to eggs and bacon for a long time, then slowly was able to add some veggies - like chopped spinach to my scrambled eggs. It was a process, but now I eat veggies for all meals. Oh and spaghetti squash - YUCK when I first tried it! No way was it like the real deal. Again, now I love it, but I haven't had pasta in a few years and my tastes have changed. I love it with pesto - oh and with lots of bacon :) Know that your tastes will change, but it may take some time. Start with eating things you know or think you could like and try to stretch into a few new things along the way. Even if you only like a few veggies, do try to incorporate them at all meals because the nutrition will help you feel better physically. You'll find things that work for you but know that it might look different than someone else and that's ok. :) I still don't care for sweet potatoes, but most people love them!

Betsie

• Administrators

Hi Lynn - have you tried sweet potatoes? Those can be really yummy and are easy.  Poke it with a fork a bunch of times, then wrap a sweet potatoe in a wet paper towel (definitely wet all over, not just damp) and put it in the microwave on high for 8 minutes. Let it sit in the microwave a few minutes, then take out and unwrap and it should be nice and soft.  Ghee and cinnamon on it are really good, and it's pretty filling too.  My other go to vegetable is avocados - not sure if you like those or not, but they're filling, and really good with Tajin (Mexican seasoning) sprinkled on them as a snack or with eggs in the morning.  I agree on spaghetti squash - hit or miss and not as good as the real thing!  Bananas are fine but as someone else said since they're on the sweet side, they'll leave you wanting more sweet stuff - so adding some nuts or something having something else non-sweet on hand will be good after that too.  

Have a good day :)

Avocados are a great fat source, not a veggie.  Also we do not recommend adding nuts to bananas as a snack or a meal. Please review the Meal Template below for how to best compose meals.

Hi. That's so funny about your kids stealing bites. For some reason my kids are obsessed with what I'm cooking. That resulted in them deciding they LOVE almond butter and apples (I swear I've tried to push this off on them before??), and my son saying roasted cauliflower and potatoes is now his favorite food. Okay.

Right?! If I had tried to serve them spaghetti squash for THEIR dinner, it would have been anarchy!  Except maybe the 2 year old - she pretty much eats anything LOL

Day 4 Check In!  

I'm feeling pretty good also. Pretty tired yesterday and today, which I expected after reading the timeline. I was able to get through without any added caffeine (other than my morning cup) and today I got a power nap!  I've strayed from the 7 day meal plan a little, using the leftovers more and rearranging it some - but I have been 100% compliant and have had no urges to cheat (yet).  Yesterday though the peanut butter was smelling really good (making the kids lunch!). 

I've done better today on the timing of my meals - but I'm still trying to figure out how to work in Pre Workout and Post Workout meals because my workout is close to dinner time. The only thing I'm nervous about right now is that we are going to an amusement park all day on Saturday, and I don't think they allow food to be brought in the park and I'm pretty sure they don't have what I need. Any suggestions would be great!

Happy day 4 everyone! Today was a good day food-wise. I had scrambled eggs with salmon and spinach for breakfast, a big chicken salad with vegetables and olive oil for lunch, and a compliant and oh so delicious hamburger patty w/ grilled onions and mushrooms w/ salad for dinner. After eating dinner I realized that good beef really does taste way better. Just in the midst of working on a plan for the weekend as I'll be on the road.

Hi Crew!

I haven't had a chance to read your Kill All The Things/Day 4 updates yet, but look forward to it later.

I just got out of Trader Joe's, I think. I'm in the parking lot and feel like I am on heavy tranquilizers. Shopping in there was like one of those dreams where you can't run.

Had to dig in to the almonds and dried apples immediately. Now, 10 minutes later I think I'm good to drive home. But holy heck!!! I guess things are really happening in this old body.

On a bright note, after shopping today I'm locked and loaded with lots of great meal and snack options for the next couple of weeks. AND, I wrangled my husband into doing the program with me. Score!

Back later to check how everyone's day's going. Sorry for the brain-melt-word-salad!

OK, so today was day one for me. I was excited to get started I woke up early. I do eat breakfast, but not much of a breakfast person. I have to eat a little before 6 am and the smell of food that early, lets just say not so good. I had two eggs scrambled and as a side I had a mashed up banana with approved coconut flakes. It was hard just to get that much down. Also never really liked eggs. I know no veggies, but working on it and I had extra at lunch. Also black cup of coffee, but just one like always except without the cream and Splenda or Stevia.

I did not get to have lunch until 2:00 pm and was a little light-headed around 11:30 am. I did have to have an Epic bar at 1:30 pm while was preparing lunch, I was just too hungry, I had zoodles with compliant tomato sauce and apple slices with almond butter. I still feel really full and a little tired.

So far still on track, no cheats, and will have seasoned chicken and a veggie for dinner later tonight. Just need to wait a little bit, just too full from lunch.

I plan on cooking several meals this weekend to make things easier. Also unsure how to handle early breakfast and varying lunch times which can be far after breakfast. 

I have a breakfast meeting at a restaurant in the morning so a little nervous about that, but still looking forward to the next 29 days.

Hope everyone is doing well and staying on track.

So day 4. Almost done at work and made it through. Not really feeling like I want to bite anyone's head off but I did have to take a power nap at lunch.

Breakfast was awesome. Spinach mushrooms red onions, sautéed in a tsp clarified butter and scrambled with some eggs and pure simply chicken sausage.

Lunch was some turkey, avocado grapes and a few pistachios.

Got the crock pot going for the pork carnitas for dinner.

I have to work an outdoor venue this weekend. No refrigeration,etc. I'll be there for 9 hours, they usually feed us but I know it won't be compliant. Any suggestions I can take, I'm feeling a little brain fog and can only think of nuts right now.

And also how do you comment on someone else's post. TIA

Have a great evening.

Day 4 done!  The meal prep was so handy - but I feel like there's so much food - will modify that next week.  Cooking just for me as hubby/kids aren't doing the plan.  Is it possible to eat too much of this good food? I'm sure it is, will have to work on portion control and do more leftovers.  I like cooking all the new recipes though, fun to try these new tastes and everything has been delicious so far. Probably by day 15 or so the novelty will have worn off!  Did Egg Foo Young (from Nom Nom Paleo cookbook - lots of good recipes in that book and her app, many are Whole30 Complaint) for dinner and it was very yummy, but am stuffed.  Will get me to not snack before bedtime for sure.  Looking forward to bacon/eggs/peppers/onions in the morning already!

Great job everyone, happy almost Friday :)

So day 4. Almost done at work and made it through. Not really feeling like I want to bite anyone's head off but I did have to take a power nap at lunch.

Breakfast was awesome. Spinach mushrooms red onions, sautéed in a tsp clarified butter and scrambled with some eggs and pure simply chicken sausage.

Lunch was some turkey, avocado grapes and a few pistachios.

Got the crock pot going for the pork carnitas for dinner.

I have to work an outdoor venue this weekend. No refrigeration,etc. I'll be there for 9 hours, they usually feed us but I know it won't be compliant. Any suggestions I can take, I'm feeling a little brain fog and can only think of nuts right now.

And also how do you comment on someone else's post. TIA

Have a great evening.

Hi - took me awhile to figure this out too - click on 'Quote' underneath that person's post, that will do reply right to that quote... like I'm doing here!

I made zoodles for the first time tonight. They were off the hook! I really loved them. I  bought a hand spiralizer for $15 from target this afternoon because my meal plan included zoodles, and it will definitely be my new favorite kitchen toy. I had roasted chicken, pumpkin seeds, avocado and a dollop of homemade ranch over the zucchini noodles. 

So excited to try other veggies with the spiralizer!

Archived