Movie snack ideas

Jorisam

I went to a movie during my last w30, sat next to my husband who was eating a gigantic pail of buttered popcorn and a humongous soda (what I would have shared with him pre-w30), and amazingly, didn't have anything but some water from a bottle I'd snuck into the theater inside my handbag.

It turned out fine. :)

I'd say just make sure you've eaten well before you go, and have a complaint meal ready for when you get home.

Part of Whole30 is about breaking the habit of 'hand to mouth' eating that many people indulge in, especially at the movies....

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't have done this the first or second round, but on round 3 I will bring a lara bar and a kettle chips (the potato/avo oil/sea salt ones). The chips aren't a trigger food for me, I can bring a small snack bag fill and be fine. Oh, and a Lacroix to wash it down :D

• Moderators
1 hour ago, jshizz said:

I wouldn't have done this the first or second round, but on round 3 I will bring a lara bar and a kettle chips (the potato/avo oil/sea salt ones). The chips aren't a trigger food for me, I can bring a small snack bag fill and be fine. Oh, and a Lacroix to wash it down :D

No commercially prepared potato chips or French fries are whole30 compliant. Doesn't matter if they are a trigger food or not, they are not whole30.

See the Can I Have list: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

On August 26, 2016 at 8:42 PM, ShannonM816 said:

No commercially prepared potato chips or French fries are whole30 compliant. Doesn't matter if they are a trigger food or not, they are not whole30.

See the Can I Have list: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

I understand what you are saying, however, if it keeps me from diving face first into a bag of popcorn, so be it. I could have made these at home with the same ingredients and it is not a food with no brakes, for ME. I packed about 10 chips in a snack back and it kept my cravings at bay. I wasn't using is as a meal replacement, we ate a compliant template meal before we left for the theatre.

Sometimes I feel like mods on this forum can't wait to just spit out the rules of Whole30 to "bust" people. Yes, I get it. Because Rules and that's why. If it is not complaint to whole30 fine, but if I can choose to decide if I have to start over because I ate ingredient compliant chips, the answer is no.

• Administrators
19 hours ago, jshizz said:

I understand what you are saying, however, if it keeps me from diving face first into a bag of popcorn, so be it. I could have made these at home with the same ingredients and it is not a food with no brakes, for ME. I packed about 10 chips in a snack back and it kept my cravings at bay. I wasn't using is as a meal replacement, we ate a compliant template meal before we left for the theatre.

Sometimes I feel like mods on this forum can't wait to just spit out the rules of Whole30 to "bust" people. Yes, I get it. Because Rules and that's why. If it is not complaint to whole30 fine, but if I can choose to decide if I have to start over because I ate ingredient compliant chips, the answer is no.

The moderators on this forum are tasked to refresh, remind and inform folks of the rules and discuss best practices and recommendations. You choosing not to abide by the rules can't be met with no response or it would confuse people coming along who may not understand what is being discussed.

And trust me, we're not just sitting around waiting for anything, most of us do this volunteer work during our regular work day and we take time out of our personal lives to help folks have successful Whole30's. You may wish to consider your own emotions behind feeling like you're being "busted".

And you're right, you're free to do whatever you want, we're all adults. No one is spying on you at home to make sure you don't eat potato chips so the easy answer to not being corrected on something you knew was non-compliant but did anyway, is to not discuss it and even less to encourage other people to do it. Getting upset about being corrected on what is and is not a Whole30 valid choice doesn't make sense when you could simply just keep that personal choice to yourself.

On 09/07/2016 at 10:18 AM, jmcbn said:

I'd say just make sure you've eaten well before you go, and have a complaint meal ready for when you get home.

Part of Whole30 is about breaking the habit of 'hand to mouth' eating that many people indulge in, especially at the movies....

this!

On 8/29/2016 at 11:29 PM, jshizz said:

Well said.

• 5 months later...
On 8/30/2016 at 6:57 PM, ladyshanny said:

On 8/29/2016 at 11:29 PM, jshizz said:

The moderators on this forum are tasked to refresh, remind and inform folks of the rules and discuss best practices and recommendations. You choosing not to abide by the rules can't be met with no response or it would confuse people coming along who may not understand what is being discussed.

And trust me, we're not just sitting around waiting for anything, most of us do this volunteer work during our regular work day and we take time out of our personal lives to help folks have successful Whole30's. You may wish to consider your own emotions behind feeling like you're being "busted".

And you're right, you're free to do whatever you want, we're all adults. No one is spying on you at home to make sure you don't eat potato chips so the easy answer to not being corrected on something you knew was non-compliant but did anyway, is to not discuss it and even less to encourage other people to do it. Getting upset about being corrected on what is and is not a Whole30 valid choice doesn't make sense when you could simply just keep that personal choice to yourself.

Honestly, this is rude. The original moderator who pointed out that her chips were not compliant was rude. I get that you take your job seriously, and I very much appreciate your willingness to moderate this forum, but "you may wish to consider your own emotions behind feeling" like you needed to reem this woman out. How hard is it to say "while you might be tempted to indulge in something you know doesn't upset your system, it's really not within the rules, and you may not be getting the full benefit of the program" 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 8:41 PM, whole30wandering said:

Honestly, this is rude. The original moderator who pointed out that her chips were not compliant was rude. I get that you take your job seriously, and I very much appreciate your willingness to moderate this forum, but "you may wish to consider your own emotions behind feeling" like you needed to reem this woman out. How hard is it to say "while you might be tempted to indulge in something you know doesn't upset your system, it's really not within the rules, and you may not be getting the full benefit of the program" 

They're not being rude-- they're being direct and honest. And it's actually not their job - the moderators are volunteers doing this out of the kindness of their hearts - to help *us* all know how to work the program to feel better physically, emotionally, etc. and have better eating and life habits. 

Some people don't want to read the honesty because it causes them to feel objectified since they're knowingly not going along with the rules and recommendations of the program. But if they were following the rules and recommendations and trying honestly to work the program, they wouldn't feel objectified. Knowing they're not following the program and posting it on the forums so that the people who *are* trying to follow can read about it causes confusion.  The purpose of the moderators is to skim through the posts on these forums, advise people when there are questions, and point those who are misunderstanding the program or making errors in the right direction. All of this is to help all of the members of the online forums here have a better experience with the Whole 30 and beyond.

I, personally, am grateful to have them around to help guide us in the right direction.

How about have a meal before, and then not snack?

Seriously, why did adults begin needing snacks all the time? It's a movie, maybe 90 minutes, 2 hours tops. Sitting. Even your kid doesn't need a snack. Learning to do things WITHOUT food is probably a great lesson. I realize how much I randomly snack at work. Just figure out a way to spend 2 hours distracted by a movie without eating anything. Or watch the movie at home during a meal. 

If you want popcorn, consider how nasty it is with whatever they put on it. Or just eat a big meal. I ate a huge lunch 2 hours ago and have no need for a snack AND I'm bored at work. Or just bring a bag of baby carrots, put them in your purse and only eat them if you are physically so in need of a snack that you are getting up to get popcorn.

Also, with snacking, I try and bring extra boiled eggs to work. If I won't eat a boiled egg, no salt, I'm not actually hungry. If you are afraid that 2-3 hours in a movie or on a plane is going to make you physically in need of food, bring basic nourishment that offers limited appeal outside of filling you up. It's amazing how hungry you aren't when the option is canned tuna vs trail mix/chips/popcorn.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, nikki1973nikki said:

How about have a meal before, and then not snack?

Seriously, why did adults begin needing snacks all the time? It's a movie, maybe 90 minutes, 2 hours tops. Sitting. Even your kid doesn't need a snack.

EXACTLY!  It's socially acceptable but not necessary... and you can train yourself out of needing to eat at a movie... by not eating at a movie... 

• 1 month later...

I am just now, 7 months later, reading the responses to my post. And wow....now I remember why I don't come to these forums often. I love Whole30, and it has REALLY changed the way I think about things. However, I am not perfect. Maybe in 5 more Whole 30's I will be able fully adress all my deep dark feelings behind a potato with oil and salt, but not today. That day I was doing the best I could. 

Archived