Hi everyone! I am new to whole30, as in beginning my very first day. Fingers crossed that I can make it through!

My reason for trying this diet overhaul is my struggle with severe dermal melasma. I began developing melasma about 5 years ago and over time is has gotten progressively worse, starting from one spot on my forehead, to covering the middle of my forehead, down my cheeks, and around my chin. It is plain awful. I have spent a tremendous amount of money on different topical treatments to try and get rid of it, only to have it return with a vengeance as soon as my face gets even the tiniest amount of sun. I've done a ton of research and have vistited an integrative health practitioner, and have come to the conclusion that it may be caused by overall inflammation in my body due to leaky gut and the foods/alcohol that I consume. I am willing to try anything at this point!

My question- has anyone who suffered from melasma prior to beginning this dietary change seen any improvement in the condition?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I developed Melasma on my 2nd pregnancy (10 years ago) and like you,  if I start getting ahead, the first tiniest bit of sunshine brings it all back.  I start whole30 tomorrow, and am super pale, but I'll share any findings with you :) good luck,  to you.  

• 2 months later...

I'm on day 4 and my main reason for doing the Whole30 was my terrible melasma. It started after my first pregnancy 5 years ago and I've been battling it ever since. I also have alopecia - it's mainly under control due to managing my stress better, but really hoping this change in eating helps my body stop hating itself! Has anyone else experienced any beneficial results from Whole30 on their melasma?

Archived