Casey's really doing it

CaseyP

Oh Jen, thank you so much!  Yes, that's the kind of kindness I want to start having for myself. Also to have compassion for the REASONS I rely on chocolate etc, not just say it's bad and feel guilty and angry at myself.  I guess I got caught up in "I HAVE to do another whole 30"

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I decided to give myself "permission" to have a small Coke or candy bar in the afternoon and ended up deciding I didn't want it.... Funny how reverse psychology works^_^ So I ended up with a compliant day except for ONE chocolate egg at work, and a couple bites of beets that had sweet and sour dressing on them.  Also worked out for about an hour with a compliant snack on either side of it which gave me something in my mouth. :ph34r:

Last night I did a suggested visualization technique about eating an entire bag of M&Ms candies.  In a book i read, there was a study that showed that people who imagined themselves doing that ate considerably less candy when given actual M&Ms than people who didn't! Half way through it, my mind jumped to my cat dying last fall ~ which was pretty much the exact same time my eating crashed and never recovered. Coincidence??!   I decided to go with it and let myself cry and process the loss some more and discovered I really needed to forgive myself for not doing more to help her.  Today the pain - and my food cravings - seem less. Sounds silly, but that's the kind of "compassion for the reasons" i want to learn.       Whatever works!

7 hours ago, CaseyP said:

Whatever works!

Absolutely and it doesn't sound silly at all. It sounds like this is exactly what you need to be doing - working through emotional stuff. Unpacking and unpicking painful emotions is very hard work and emotionally draining. Maybe trying to be 100% W30 compliant at the same time is asking a bit much of yourself.  Very good job on the gym work by the way. I have today off work because I had a repairman coming. He has been and gone but instead of working in the garden or doing some other energetic activity, I am huddled under a quilt because the weather is freezing!!!

I am off to Glasgow on friday for a long weekend. They have one of the few Whole Foods stores in the UK and I'm looking forward to coconut kefir, raw sauerkraut and muesli bread! It's on my (rather long) 'Worth It' list.  

Ooooh. I hear you on the weather..... it is still cold and rainy here too.

Today was compliant for all intents and purposes! I discovered my butternut soup had soy and rice flour in it,  and had a few breath mints not thinking about the sugar in them. From where I've been I'll take that as a victory! I've had a low grade headache but otherwise feeling pretty good.

Tomorrow I have two parties to go to so we'll  see how that goes!

Two parties on a work night...that's living:rolleyes: I tried gluten free bagels this week because they were less than half price. Didn't look too closely at the ingredients but they must have contained sugar as they were  quite sweet. I enjoyed the change though. Had to hunt for my toaster as it's so long since I last used it. I've already gained 3lbs since the end of my W30 and I'm not sleeping as soundly. I've also been tired in work this week which I never was during the W30, no matter how late I went to bed. I want to get back on track with only odd days where I have 'worth it' foods but I need a whole set of new recipes to refresh my interest. I'm afraid I've reached food boredom.

Yeah it's crazy what they put sugar in these days. I can't remember the last time I had a bagel! They used to be a staple. 

I did indulge a little today (small piece of cake, a slice and a half of pizza), but I felt in control, like i was choosing and being mindful, not like the food was running away with me or taking me on emotional binges.  So I think that's a small success. I did have some intestinal weirdness which has been mostly absent the last couple days so that's motivation to get back in the game. I'm at the end of the month so I'm scraping my fridge bare! The next couple days will take some very creative meal planning.

Have fun in Glasgow and Whole Foods! I'm sure you'll find some inspiration there for fighting food boredom. :)

Today was another Whole30 day!!! And I have a ton of energy this afternoon and am not sure why.  

I indulged myself in time off work to meet a friend for coffee/tea. I think the camaraderie and laughing did me a lot of good and sustained my ability to say no to junk food (i.e. False comfort/companionship) through the afternoon. 

I also finally cooked my second plantain and it was much less potato-ish and much more "mouthfuls of banana pancake":P Was yours completely black When you cooked it? This had a lot of black but not solid. Stillmpretty sweet when cooked.  I sprinkled cocao powder, cinnamon and coconut flakes over it.    With fried eggs and coconut butter. ~MMmmm.  

Haven't made it to the gym the last couple of days. Hopefully tomorrow.   

My first plantain was half black. With the second I didn't wait long enough, it was mostly yellow with specks of black and it was definitely potato-ish. Not sweet at all. Great job on your W30 day and you're right, laughing is VERY good for us. I arrived at my son's in Glasgow about 2 hours ago. He and my daughter in law are in the US until Monday but I have to collect their dogs from the kennels tomorrow. I've already raided their chocolate cupboard. Can you believe it, they have chocolate left over from Christmas!!! So much self-discipline. Not inherited from me that's for sure.

LOL on the chocolate self discipline genes! And the potato-ish plantain. Truthfully I liked it both ways and look forward to getting more and trying them different ways.  

Today I watched a webinar on organizing your life, space, time. It goes along with my intent to heal my whole life, not just force myself into diet regulations.  After following several of their suggestions including making time for a fun project,  I am going to bed on time with nothing stressful weighing on my mind for the first time in a long time. I already sense it affecting my cravings (in a positive way). Except for not really having a good protein with lunch I had another compliant day and feel hope rising.  

Have fun with the dogs.  Hope you don't finish off the Christmas candy stash before they get home :P

I was wondering what your fun project is going to be, have you decided?

For tea tonight I had beef burgers and salad with sweet potato wedges, 100% compliant and delicious. I am trying to stay away from the chocolate but it's not easy. There is an enormous Easter egg in the cupboard and I've been breaking off tiny bits from all round the edge, hoping they don't notice.

Although the weather isn't great, the trees are bursting into life again and the days are noticeably longer. It's the most positive time of year for me and my moods so I hope that Spring is on its way where you are too.

Several years ago I took a pencil sketching class and really enjoyed it and have had all kinds of art supplies scattered all over in various piles and boxes and hardly ever use them. So my fun project is to get organized with all that and get in a routine of drawing at least a little bit every week.  I played around with some things for only about half an hour the other day and felt like I'd lost my touch but it was fun and i know it will come back.  

I love your description of chipping around the edges the chocolate egg in hopes no one notices... I relate so well!  

The flowers are finally out here tho every other day is still rainy and cold.  I do enjoy the longer days.

Here's another fun project I worked on over the weekend to celebrate that spring actually just might show up this year!.  I just used a $10 macro lense on my cell phone... technology is amazing these days! Click on it to see more.

Well I fell into another bag of Easter egg candy.... And didn't even have the excuse that it was right in front of me  begging me to chip away at it.  I was dreaming about my favorite ones, lamenting that Easter was over and immediately walked into a store where they had mounds of the very kind I was thinking of on Easter clearance. It was like it was Providence!!:P

(Of course it wasn't. It was just dumb old temptation).:angry:

Today I am leaving for the coast for 4 days partly for work and partly to help a friend who has cancer.  I plan to cook healthy meals for her, even prepping things for after I've left. That should keep me in the game, as long as I also remember to take care of myself and keep non-food comfort techniques in the top of my mind. 

Today is foggy but tomorrow is supposed have mid-summer style temperatures.... of course I'll be at the coast which is likely to still be foggy :wacko: But it may be nice there as well.

How are you? Hope all is well.

I've had a few off track days as well and have been tired and lethargic after eating loads of refined carbs and unhealthy fats. When I was away last weekend I discovered that even good quality bread like muesli or olive bread from Whole Foods, is no longer worth it for me. Just one small slice made me feel bloated and uncomfortable. I've also fallen out of love with Krispy Kreme's which is a very good thing.

I need to shop and prep for next week and right now I am actually craving simple protein and salad meals  - hope it lasts.

On Saturday, May 06, 2017 at 9:16 AM, jenmidge said:

I've also fallen out of love with Krispy Kreme's which is a very good thing.

Lol! Write 'em a Dear John letter.... that'll be good!

I know what you mean about the lethargy...feeling it today.  I had a few days of really good meals... lots of veggies and good proteins and fats. And  good energy and able to get up early and get going. Yesterday though i somehow mindlessly ended up drinking two cokes and quite a few cookies and Today I decided a burger and fries wouldn't hurt ... but now I am wiped out and its only 6pm.  I'm feeling like doing a 3 day cleanse of raw food and vegetable smoothies and then jump back on whole 30. 

What a beautiful coast!! I love your pics. I would have eaten very healthily today but finished work an hour after my colleagues and raided the biscuit tin as soon as I was on my own. I now feel greedy and guilty and I wasn't even particularly hungry. A vegetable smoothie cleanse is tempting.

Oh! I thought replied already.... I was probably waiting til I had something better to report :(

The sugar Dragon has all but taken over my life . I am going to have to do something drastic. 

I had nothing planned for tea but had thawed out some diced chicken. I sautéed it in coconut oil with sliced green beans from the freezer then threw in some cherry tomatoes and loads of garlic, salt and pepper. It was very simple but delicious. Washed it down with fizzy water flavoured with a squeeze of lime. Unfortunately it doesn't make up for the ice cream I had earlier but not feeling quite so guilty now.

Somehow I really love chicken and green beans together :).  that sounds good. And simple and thrown together is the best in my opinion.

As for me, after eating chocolate candy for breakfast :huh: I've had two green smoothies, two salads, and a large serving of baby carrots and apple slices, balanced out with either eggs, compliant sausage, or braised beef.  So hopefully I'm starting to redeem myself.  I may indeed do a weekend juice cleanse.

My organizational coaching is going fairly well but it just reminds me that I can't ever seem to do more than one good-for-me thing at a time. I can get organized or I can eat well or I can exercise but I can't seem to do all of them once. I will have to ponder why and what to do about that.....

18 hours ago, CaseyP said:

As for me, after eating chocolate candy for breakfast :huh: 

Did you already have the candy in the house or eat out I wonder? Have you ever contemplated going out without any money as a way of avoiding temptation? Would that be a possibility? I must admit, the thought of going out all day without cash or cards scares me quite a lot BUT, if I take my lunch and water bottle and have enough fuel in the car, there is no rational reason for this and it would save me a LOT of money.

I've registered for my local park run this week. First run 9am on Saturday.

Unfortunately I had it in the house, but now it is gone. Yes, I have considered going out without any money. In fact today I went to a movie and took only enough money to pay for the ticket which was good.  

Today I inadvertently fasted breakfast and a normal lunch because I was called in early to work.  I didn't even get hungry or have any cravings.  I had a green smoothie and lunch meat mid-afternoon and will have something similar for dinner.  

Tonight I browned 1lb of ground pork then added some finely sliced new potatoes. I didn't have any bone broth so dissolved a  low-salt beef stock cube in 200ml of water and added to pan along with dried rosemary. When the potatoes were soft I threw in a few large handfuls of spinach, Frank's hot sauce and s+p. When it was all done I melted in half a tbpn of ghee for added fat and flavour. WOW! so good I ate 2 bowlfuls. Who needs recipes!

Thinking of a having at least one green juice day over the weekend.

I did my first park run this morning. It's been a VERY long time since I've done any kind of group sport and I really loved it.  I've just done my weekly shop and ended up getting meat and veg instead of stuff for juicing. Decided on gluten free bagels with cream cheese and salmon for breakfast for the next 4 days because I'm getting a bit tired of sautéed veg and eggs. Work lunches will be meat balls and salad and I'm going to make fajita's for tea. Going to try making my own tortilla's tomorrow with tapioca and coconut flour.

I hope you are doing okay.

Archived