Casey's really doing it

CaseyP

I used the chipotle this morning in place of regular Chile powder in a roasted cauliflower recipe with unsweetened cocoa powder and "roasted" it in a slow cooker.- Wowie! Also tried my kohlrabi sliced with mild guac - for both breakfast and lunch.... I think that is going to become a staple.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, sounds like you have morning tiger blood at least! Hope it keeps up for you. I read your posts as I was lying in bed having a lazy Saturday morning, I felt like I should follow your positive example and get up and go for a walk... but I didn't. No tiger blood for me yet.

Could you share you roasted cauliflower recipe? Everything I've cooked in my slow cooker has turned out like stew, wet and mushy.

No more tiger blood !mornings to report but I did go hiking Sat and Sunday and did really well. Today is not a good day.  Really fatigued, depressed and Fighting wanting to give up. And yet i know I feel better eating this way.   I'm sure tomorrow will be better.

Jenmidge - yes I will post the cauliflower recipe soon.  I only cooked it in the slow cooked for half hour.  Yesterday I tried cooking some fingerling red potatoes in the slow cooker. At first they were taking forever then the next time I checked they had exploded and were mushy! (Yes i poked holes in them). So I'm not so great on the slow cooker either!:P

Hi

Hope today's been better for you. I havn't found the same energy that I did on my first W30  and am a bit disappointed.  The fitbit which I bought near the end of my last round is now sitting on my bedside table as I didn't want the pressure:(

It is tough breaking the cycle of emotional eating, I should know I've done it for years.  I think I might have finally kicked it into touch this time though; I was feeling very stressed at work last week and drove to the store as I needed to get out of the office but when I got there I didn't want the usual junk and didn't even want compliant chocolate Naked bars. I think what's changed has been my almost lack of fruit this time round. On the first W30 I had fruit about twice a day. I wonder if your figs have been keeping up cravings? If you're feeling fed up anyway, sugar cravings wont help. Try to concentrate on the positives ie: that you have not given up, rather than you want to and allow yourself to feel good about this. Not easy I know, when that critical internal voice is having a go at you.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. I'm back.  Last Monday would have been my Day 30 if I had not fallen off on day 15, not to mention by the end of last week I was getting really sloppy about reading ingredients, and let one slip up lead to another.  If I learned nothing else, I learned that I like myself and my life better ON Whole 30 than OFF it.... (Not that I have to stay 100% compliant every day for the rest of my life, but my "easing out" of it this past week turned into more of a head-first dive back into stupid eating habits.  I'm really surprised at how quickly I went back to my food addictions)

By the end of last week, I was adding up and my NSV, such as getting my kitchen organized finally, sensing a little bit of looseness in my clothes, but not necessarily feeling a huge difference in how I felt physically.... until I went back to sugar, dairy, processed meats, etc, and I discovered how wrong I was!!!   I can say that on my SAD diet I feel foggy, cranky, bloated, depressed, stomach aches, shoulder and headaches and worse sinuses.... which must mean that on my WHOLE30 diet, I did not!B)

Soo I feel the best thing for me to do is get back on this forum where I have some accountability and start again.  This time though, I will only have 14 days, then I will reintroduce a few things before I go on vacation September 7th.  Then get back on and hopefully complete a whole WHOLE30 by the middle of October.  

Included is a new goal of posting SOMETHING every day, which will help me stay focused.  

Tomorrow is Day 1 - again!  

On August 6, 2016 at 1:37 PM, jenmidge said:

Could you share you roasted cauliflower recipe? Everything I've cooked in my slow cooker has turned out like stew, wet and mushy.

Jenmidge, here's what I did with the cauliflower... 

The first time, I used 2 or 3 cups of yellow cauliflower cut up into bite sized florets. 

Pour a couple Tbs of melted coconut oil over them in a bowl.

Then sprinkled on approximately 1/4 tsp each :-- (and I went a little heavy on the spices compared the recipe I was going off of....)

chipotle pepper powder  (and/or regular chile powder)

ground cinnamon

onion powder

unsweetened cocoa powder

hickory smoked salt (or sea salt)

Stir it all up with your hands to make sure everything is coated.  

Put it all in a small slow cooker for only about 1/2 hour....  I know that sort of defeats the point of having a slow cooker going all day and ready when you get home, but at least I could get other things done without having to keep an eye on the stove for that period and it roasted them similar to an oven without heating up the whole kitchen.  If you did a larger amount for more servings, you'd have to experiment with timing.

Later, I adjusted the recipe for a potluck....

I used 1 and 1/2 heads of cauliflower and 1/2 head of cabbage sort of chunked, plus a yellow bell pepper in wide slices.

About 1/4 cup melted coconut oil poured over and tossed, same spices but 1/2-3/4 teaspoon each (and even up to a full teaspoon each probably wouldn't be too much).  

Spread it all out on a greased cookie sheet and baked in 425 degree oven for about 20 minutes...... BUT if I did again I would use a 350 oven and roast a little longer.  They got very done pretty quickly and cooked down more than you'd think.  

I labeled it "Chocolate-Chile Crucifers"  which got quite the looks and comments at the potluck, but it was all gone by the end of the evening!

Just now I'm thinking that yellow cauliflower, purple cabbage and a red bell pepper would be very pretty!!  

Well who'd have thought cabbage and bok choy with ground turkey for breakfast would be "comfort food" ! 

Still, I had sugar today so day 1 is tomorrow. 

Counting The cost

I'm shopping for a smart phone and learning I have to count the cost, weighing so many variables - expense versus features and speed compared to my budget.... So it goes with whole30.... There's quite a cost to this lifestyle, and not just in money and time. Yet there is a cost in continuing to eat poorly.... So I have to decide which is the better value in the long run.   Just like it's hard to fork over the cash even when its something I know I want, it can be hard to go for it here. So we count the cost - on both sides- and decide why its worth it.

Precious commodities

Our most precious commodities cannot be measured in dollars and cents, nor even are they centered in time, as some have said.  Our most valuable resource is our physical energy, and with it, our joy.  Money and things are easily gained and lost.  Time can never be returned, but it is useless without the stamina to make it productive or the ability to enjoy it.  Without vitality, stamina, strength -- energy! -- we are resource "poor".        So it is imperative to protect and nourish those abilities through food choices, rest, movement, water etc.   I must learn to treat the Whole30 journey not as a "should" but as a valuable investment in my most precious assets.

For breakfast today: 4 oz Alaskan cod; 1 parsnip, roasted in rounds with cardamom and cinnamon; at least a cup of cooked spinach, all drizzled with pistachio oil and lime juice.

Lunch/snack:  Fruit and nuts...... I know that is bad

Dinner:  Steelhead trout steak, green salad, green beans, olive oil and vinegar dressing over everything.

Day one won.

thanks for the cauliflower recipe. Chocolate/chilli veg is a definite winner. My slow cooker takes forever to heat up so I'll try the oven method.

re: your post above, I would add mental/emotional well being in there somewhere as well. 

Posting each day helps with the rhythm Casey. Even if it's just a quick list of food it helps keep the momentum. And then you get feedback and engagement which in turns keeps the positive cycle going. I stopped logging back in Jan when I was travelling and that directly contributed to me free falling away from W30 goodness.

Thanks for the encouragement.  I haven't been 100% on every day so I havent wanted to post but I'm going to try in spite.  I definitely am doing better than I was before.  I did intend to post this Breakfast on the Go from the weekend.... early morning getting out the door to the air festival.

I didn't ride but it was a great mood booster to walk among all that gigantic color and then watch them soar!

20160827_060915.jpg

20160828_064946.jpg

20160828_064718.jpg

what a beautiful sight!! thank you so much for sharing. Your breakfast looks good as well.  Your eggs look huge compared to what I buy. I have struggled to stay on track and have indulged in some complete off roading.  This was all down to me being away last weekend and not being able to do any shopping or prepping.  I had to buy my lunch at work so bought a sandwich then a voice in my head told me I might as well make the most of my off-road day, so I bought a sugary drink + cake + chocolate + gum. Topped it off with a burger and fries on the way home. Ended up having an off road week but have been compliant over the weekend and today. I'm going to join the September 5th W30 as I need the accountability factor. I've also bought a starter kit for brewing my own kombucha and can't wait to try different flavor combo's. I'm hoping it will keep W30 boredom at bay and give an added focus. 

Keep on posting.:) 

On Monday, August 29, 2016 at 1:35 PM, jenmidge said:

what a beautiful sight!! thank you so much for sharing. Your breakfast looks good as well.  Your eggs look huge compared to what I buy. I have struggled to stay on track and have indulged in some complete off roading.  This was all down to me being away last weekend and not being able to do any shopping or prepping.  I had to buy my lunch at work so bought a sandwich then a voice in my head told me I might as well make the most of my off-road day, so I bought a sugary drink + cake + chocolate + gum. Topped it off with a burger and fries on the way home. Ended up having an off road week but have been compliant over the weekend and today. I'm going to join the September 5th W30 as I need the accountability factor. I've also bought a starter kit for brewing my own kombucha and can't wait to try different flavor combo's. I'm hoping it will keep W30 boredom at bay and give an added focus. 

Keep on posting.:) 

Hmmmmm..... this didnt post the other day but apparently was saved or something..... trying again. 

:) get the eggs from a friend who has her own chickens. They are a real treat .... big.and golden yellow and make store-bought ones taste bland.

Thank you for sharing your off roading stories-  i can relate so well! REvery time I've gone off really bad it was because I was away from home overnight. And then I do the same thing .... "i went off so i might as well go all the way off for the rest of the day."  On the flip side, for some reason last week  i was giving myself permission to take a nibble here and there and was truly able to keep it to just a taste. I realize you cant truly reset on that mentality but it felt like i was able to keep going for the most part because i didnt feel the defeat or failure that having to start over creates... so i just kept going, getting less and less interested in cheats.   Today was a perfect day. :D

And i wore a pair of jeans tonight that have been tight since forever and i had finally put them in the bottom of the drawer.  They are now supercomfy and id bet my other standbys are baggy. (Haven't  been wearing  jeans lately because its been hot.)

Here's my yummy dinner tonight... 20160829_192414.jpg

Ps i love to brew kombucha  too! I just started a new batch tonight,

Here's my breakfast from yesterday..... the sausage looking things are actually purple potatoes, sliced. I was a little worried because the last time I ate them I had a horrible achey tired day but I seemed to do okay.   The stir fry I seasoned with kombucha vinegar, coconut butter, a little garam marsala and the cashews you see on top. Turned out ok, not great.20160830_094546.jpg

Lunch was 1 1/2 grass fed beef hotdogs I got from a local rancher at a farmer's market, a cabbage and kale slaw with homemade mayo, and avocado.   Dinner was munchies... all compliant- fruit, nuts, the other 1/2 hotdogs but I know that isn't too good.20160830_150732.jpg

Today I am purposely trying out cheese because I'm going camping and backpacking next week and it would be good portable protein if I can tolerate it. I've only had dairy  once in at least two months and I don't really miss it.  I know milk and ice cream cause bad reactions but I've thought in the past that cheese worked OK for me maybe because of the aging process.

Did a lot of snacking today.... nothing too  horrible but way too many carbs. A little achey and bloated so as for the cheese the jury's still out but I'm going to try to stay away from it.      Planning for this trip is interesting.... I'm used to relying on wheat crackers, lots of peanuts,  oatmeal, pancakes,.... it's hard to imagine what alternatives there are  but I'm sort of having fun trying.   Thankfully paleontology is pretty much a craze now- but wow.... 3 bucks for a tiny trail bar that constitutes  half a snack?! I bought a few but I will have to get more creative!

Was looking  forward to the Organic butternut squash soup from a reputable healthy brand that bought the other day;  then I looked at the ingredients: soy milk, sugar, canola oil, and rice flour!!!  Thankfully I found a can of pumpkin in the back of the pantry and threw it together with some chicken broth, onion and garlic and a pinch 20160901_090058.jpgof cardamom  So much for pour- and- go but it was good on this first chilly morning of the season.

On 8/31/2016 at 7:51 PM, CaseyP said:

" for some reason last week  i was giving myself permission to take a nibble here and there and was truly able to keep it to just a taste. I realize you cant truly reset on that mentality but it felt like i was able to keep going for the most part because i didnt feel the defeat or failure that having to start over creates.  ".. 

This makes a lot of sense. If I feel really guilty for one lapse, I'm much more likely to eat more junk, to console myself.

Today started off perfectly compliant. Eggs, bacon, kale. zucchini and tomato for breakfast and 2 x W30 burgers for lunch. Went to a grocery store near work about 4.30pm as I was planning on working late and bought pastries and fresh lemonade. Like you, I gave myself permission (not exactly small nibbles though) because I'd eaten healthily first.

I don't think I will commit to the September W30 after all. Instead, I want to concentrate on eating W30 for most of the time and be able to enjoy off plan choices occasionally without the guilt. I've ordered a big meat box for delivery next week. It's not organic but good quality free range and pastured and will last me about 3 weeks. I've also just signed up for a weekly organic veg + eggs box from a local nursery. So, I know I'm going to be eating well most of the time. I've got a big night out with friends on the weekend with lots of alcohol involved and I'm going to enjoy it!

Regarding your camping trip, I imagine that avacado's travel fairly well and I've previously read on another thread that frozen sausages or burgers are handy cos they'll thaw out on your hike and you can have fresh meat on your first night.

6 hours ago, jenmidge said:

Regarding your camping trip, I imagine that avacado's travel fairly well and I've previously read on another thread that frozen sausages or burgers are handy cos they'll thaw out on your hike and you can have fresh meat on your first night.

I think I've done that with the meat before! Thanks for the reminder..... I just may do that.

6 hours ago, jenmidge said:

This makes a lot of sense. If I feel really guilty for one lapse, I'm much more likely to eat more junk, to console myself.

Today started off perfectly compliant. Eggs, bacon, kale. zucchini and tomato for breakfast and 2 x W30 burgers for lunch. Went to a grocery store near work about 4.30pm as I was planning on working late and bought pastries and fresh lemonade. Like you, I gave myself permission (not exactly small nibbles though) because I'd eaten healthily first.

I don't think I will commit to the September W30 after all. Instead, I want to concentrate on eating W30 for most of the time and be able to enjoy off plan choices occasionally without the guilt. I've ordered a big meat box for delivery next week. It's not organic but good quality free range and pastured and will last me about 3 weeks. I've also just signed up for a weekly organic veg + eggs box from a local nursery. So, I know I'm going to be eating well most of the time. I've got a big night out with friends on the weekend with lots of alcohol involved and I'm going to enjoy it!

I hope I didn't unduly influence your decision to opt out of Sep.    Did you complete the last one and do the re- entry? It's taken me quite a while to get to where I can do "just a nibble" and not let it derail me. Still, I hear you.... I'm not planning on joining a Sep group because I have a vacation, a business trip, and a 3 day family reunion/wedding reception all in Sep  and I know I wont be able to stay on.  But I am going to stay on as much as possible because I feel better on, and I'll keep posting here because it keeps me motivated.  Currently I plan to do a whole Whole 30 in Oct. Or- maybe I'll just keep doing week by week.  We'll see  ;)

Archived