Food Fears

Completed Whole 30 successfully plus reintro. When then recreating a new healthy diet personalized for myself I am having issues since reading and re-reading 'It Starts With Food' as it has created a fear of dairy and grains and lentils. So I end up doing basic Whole 365 which is not recommended. My bone density is low and I have colon issues where my doctor recommended a diet rich in calcium and fibre. I exercise daily so that side of the equation is handled ... only my diet is lacking. But since starting Whole 30 I shy away from milk, cheeses, breads, cereals, grains entirely. I eat loads of leafy greens etc. as per Whole 30 but unable to get enough calcium and fibre. My 2 main health concerns is bone strength and colon health. Whole 30 has left me with even greater food confusion!! Please Help!

• Administrators

The information you have been given via the books was for your consideration, not to swear you off these foods forever.  Did you notice any negative side effects when you reintroduced any of these foods? 

The fact that any of us believe that calcium is only available from dairy is one of the great marketing lies of all time. Read this: http://whole9life.com/2012/02/what-about-calcium/

If you are having medical issues with calcium absorption or other medical issues, please work with your doctor as no one here can dispense medical advise.

• Moderators

What you are saying does not make sense. You know from reading It Starts With Food that none of the foods you are afraid of eating improve your health. You know that meat, poultry, seafood, and veggies are superior sources of all the nutrition and fiber that you need. If you have a medical condition, eating yogurt and drinking milk will not solve it. Eating grains works against your body absorbing calcium. 

I have not consumed dairy, grains, or legumes for the past 6 years and my doctor tells me that she can tell from my blood work that I eat healthy and I should keep doing what I am doing. 

So I do not understand what you are confused about. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is your confusion stemming from hearing two conflicting stories about food-- one from ISWF and the other you Doctor?

By what measure are you "unable to get enough calcium?" Calcium is only one factor in bone density. How's your vitamin d, magnesium, vitamin k, etc?

Unlike Tom, although I have been eating Whole 30 ish for years, I do not have the ideal results in my medical tests, so I've had to modify my diet. I have multiple vitamin and mineral deficiencies. However, eating dairy did not fix anything for me, my problems stem elsewhere.

In the end you need to find what works best for YOU. If more fiber or dairy helps, then that's the route you take, for example. But food is not to be feared, rather it should be understood in terms of how it impacts your health and well being. I encourage you to keep experimenting and exploring your options.

Thank you. The confusion lies in now having the knowledge via the science in what foods do not help the body, so when Melissa states Whole 30 should not be Whole 365, and a person needs to find out what works individually.... when food groups ( legumes, dairy, grains) have been proven not beneficial, then the only course is to stay on Whole 30 program.... Forever!! The fear of food groups comes in realizing milk and grains and legumes are to be avoided as they promote various problems. When foods are omitted, then the option remains to stay on Whole 30 approved. The Whole 30 program promotes good vs. bad foods.

• Administrators

Thank you. The confusion lies in now having the knowledge via the science in what foods do not help the body, so when Melissa states Whole 30 should not be Whole 365, and a person needs to find out what works individually.... when food groups ( legumes, dairy, grains) have been proven not beneficial, then the only course is to stay on Whole 30 program.... Forever!! The fear of food groups comes in realizing milk and grains and legumes are to be avoided as they promote various problems. When foods are omitted, then the option remains to stay on Whole 30 approved. The Whole 30 program promotes good vs. bad foods.

Absolutely not. The Whole30 program outlines foods which are known to be problematic for a great majority of people. Then it promotes you eliminating these for 30 days and systematically reintroducing them to find out how they affect you as a unique human being.  There are lots of people who find that dairy is troublesome for them but there are an equal number who have no issues with it whatsoever and choose to include it in their diets.  Similarly, many people choose to include rice, legumes and even gluten-grains because they have discovered that their body handles them fine.

It's simply recommendations.  You don't have to do it and if you are finding that this is causing dangerous mental health or anxiety issues, I encourage you to look elsewhere for your dietary recommendations. You'll find plenty of studies stating that dairy is good for you.

Whole30 doesn't make the foods good or bad. That is inherent to the food. Whole30 promotes exploration of good and bad habits, choices, knowledge, and individual benefits and outcomes.

Sorry to say this, but just because "Melissa said it" doesn't define the be all and end all definition for that food, nor is her word gospel when it come to your life after a Whole30. Science is ever changing, and who knows what is next to be discovered. Melissa and the program get you started to the process, they don't make the food good or bad.

But the message of self experimentation is clear and wonderful and life changing. And once you know how foods affect you, I think it's ok to enjoy those off plan foods on occasion, and that the problem really come from when we over consume grains and etc.

Oh, dear.   :D  Can I weigh in on the subject.   You are correct, it's not supposed to be a 365 which would be darned near impossible.   One single non-compliant item in a year's time would negate it as a Whole 30.

Science is always changing and there are so many conflicting recommendations that overlearning and overthinking can make you cray cray.

I no longer think of offing or off-plan foods.  I don't do off or on, all or nothing because that doesn't work for me at all.   I actually created a plan that works for me.   I don't log my food or even plan menus.  I had to eliminate corn syrup and that's added to so many foods it's ridiculous. When you stick with whole foods, you really don't have much to worry about.  They only have one ingredient and it really, really works.  I stay in my own lane and I do that.    

Archived