Starting Whole30 on July 25th!

Earoti

Happy Day 1 everyone! It's comforting to see that others have the same goals as I do, so I'm really looking forward to the support and accountability :)

Earoti - thanks for the timeline link, it's a good refresher! My own timeline has been a few days later than the norm. It wasn't a really big deal previously, but it means that I don't get tiger blood until pretty much week 6 or so. Who knows, maybe it won't be quite as delayed this round!

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope day 1 is going well for everyone. Missing my diet coke like crazy! I'm not too keen on water. Breakfast was a packet of Boost Bites - dates, poppy seeds and coconut. Lunch is going to be salad with salmon. Going to make a chicken and veg casserole for dinner which should last for the next few days. And have plenty of fruit and nuts in if I want a snack.

Good Morning

I am committed to starting today July 25th. I have done paleo challenges before but never the Whole 30. I recently moved and I have been super off track. 

I have a great family but left my healthier support systems behind. 

Trying really hard to get back on track. 

Wendy

If you find water on it's own boring you could try coconut water (without any additives) or infuse your water with mint leaves / lemons / limes over night.  Just makes it a bit more interesting, adds some flavour and some health benefits too.  

Best of luck and beware the day two/three hangover we've been warned about on the timeline!

Hope day 1 is going well for everyone. Missing my diet coke like crazy! I'm not too keen on water. Breakfast was a packet of Boost Bites - dates, poppy seeds and coconut. Lunch is going to be salad with salmon. Going to make a chicken and veg casserole for dinner which should last for the next few days. And have plenty of fruit and nuts in if I want a snack.

Just want to help - whole30 encourages that we don't use fruit as snacks because it will keep our sugar dragon wanting more. They say it's okay to include some fruit with a meal though, but if you need a snack fresh veggies would be best! I usually bring cut up bell peppers with me in case I need it. But I try to make my 3 meals filling enough that I don't need snacks - that's the goal!

Day one going great so far for me. Just had a large healthy breakfast and feeling good! Hope everyone has a great day 1!!!

Also, I know water is boring, so I do infused water, so I have a pitcher that I put cucumber and strawberry or Lemons and Limes in- makes the water taste more interesting and refreshing! I also love sparkling water like la croix

Just another reminder about snacks and filling in the diet gaps with fruit and nuts - making sure meals have plenty of fat, protein, and veg keeps our bellies full and satisfied, so we don't have to eat between meals.  Never underestimate the power of a loaded salad. :)  

Hi everyone!

My husband and I have started today as well. We got married July 2nd and have had a crazy diet all summer long. Not to mention all the booze too! The hardest thing for me to give up will be chips. The hardest thing for my husband to give up will definitely be Diet Coke!

We are using the meal plan straight out of the book for the first 5 days. Breakfast and lunch today have been great! I've had a headache but I'm fairly sure it's from bonking my head over the weekend, and not food related. My husband came home for lunch and already had a Diet Coke withdrawal headache.

My husband and I are both big planners, so I am hoping our dedication to meal planning/prep will help get us through. I go back to work (teacher) next Monday and I hope I can get in a routine of eating healthy there.

Nice to meet everyone! Happy day one!

• Moderators

Just wanted to wish every one good luck and good health on day 1 of the programme!  Great to hear about some of the preparation everyone has done.  I thought I was organised but not so sure now  ;)

Breakfast was 3/8 of a 7-egg frittata with veggies, coconut oil and a few pine nuts (I ate a quarter and didn't feel full so had a little more).  Wondering if its going to get me through until lunch time though.  Is anyone else finding it difficult to think about anything other than FOOD?!  :rolleyes:  :D

When eggs are your only protein in a meal, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand, which is probably 3-4. So, you'd probably want to eat about half of that frittata, and you may want to add some more veggies too -- aim for 1-3 cups of vegetables at each meal. You might have also needed a bit more fat, depending on how many pine nuts/how much coconut oil you had -- try having some olives or avocado with it next time, or a big dollop of mayo.

When you get more used to eating this way and cooking this way, you won't be thinking about food as much, it'll start to feel more normal. It may take a couple of weeks (or maybe even more, if you didn't cook at all before) to really find the best way to do meal prep, planning, shopping, and cooking, but you'll figure it out.

Day 1 is going very well so far.  I almost didn't mind the cup of black coffee. ;)   

For breakfast, I had 4 scrambled eggs with 2 cups of spinach and a cup of grape tomatoes topped with avocado and a handful of strawberries.  

For lunch, I made everything out of the book - roasted spaghetti squash topped with pesto and the chicken meatballs.  Talk about yummy!!  Even my coworkers commented how good it smelled.  It was delicious.  

Question - when you make a sauce from the Whole30 book, how much do you use on a meal?  I think i used maybe 3 spoonfuls of the pesto on my spaghetti squash because half my plate is the spaghetti squash.  Was that too much??

Hope everyone is doing well today! 

• Administrators

Day 1 is going very well so far.  I almost didn't mind the cup of black coffee. ;)   

For breakfast, I had 4 scrambled eggs with 2 cups of spinach and a cup of grape tomatoes topped with avocado and a handful of strawberries.  

For lunch, I made everything out of the book - roasted spaghetti squash topped with pesto and the chicken meatballs.  Talk about yummy!!  Even my coworkers commented how good it smelled.  It was delicious.  

Question - when you make a sauce from the Whole30 book, how much do you use on a meal?  I think i used maybe 3 spoonfuls of the pesto on my spaghetti squash because half my plate is the spaghetti squash.  Was that too much??

Hope everyone is doing well today! 

You want to use the template for all your meals, even the Whole30 book recipes. Assuming that the pesto is supposed to be your fat source, that should be at least the equivalent of 1-2 thumbs of oil.  

My meals are obviously not big enough as I've been needing to snack. I don't tend to eat massive portions though, I'm more of a grazer. I suppose I'll just have to work on it. Found it a little difficult to get ratios right too. I definitely didn't have enough fat today. Hopefully I'll do better tomorrow.

• Moderators

My meals are obviously not big enough as I've been needing to snack. I don't tend to eat massive portions though, I'm more of a grazer. I suppose I'll just have to work on it. Found it a little difficult to get ratios right too. I definitely didn't have enough fat today. Hopefully I'll do better tomorrow.

Something that might help is to go ahead and plate up a whole meal's worth of food following the meal template, and eat as much as you can, eating from each thing on the plate. When you can't eat anymore, wrap it up and set it aside, and as soon as you feel you could eat more, go back to it. Over time, you'll probably find you're eating more at a time until you're eating the whole plate at once, and it helps ensure you're getting the right mix of everything, even now while you're not able to eat it all at once.

Doing good so far. I actually liked coconut milk with my coffee. I had two of the perfect sausages and 2 eggs scrambled for breakfast. It kept me full for awhile. Just had my lunch since I wasn't hungry from eating that great breakfast. After doing some errands I made the classic chili and that is cooking in the crock pot right now. Just had a salad for lunch. So far feeling great. We will see tomorrow.

• Administrators

Doing good so far. I actually liked coconut milk with my coffee. I had two of the perfect sausages and 2 eggs scrambled for breakfast. It kept me full for awhile. Just had my lunch since I wasn't hungry from eating that great breakfast. After doing some errands I made the classic chili and that is cooking in the crock pot right now. Just had a salad for lunch. So far feeling great. We will see tomorrow.

Did your breakfast include 1-3 cups of veggies and 1-2 servings of fat? Was your salad for lunch huge and including protein and fat?

If you are answering no to either of these questions, know that although you may feel great today, the first day, if you continue to eat too little food and not well composed meals, you will not feel great for long.

Hi everyone,

Today is day one of my first whole 30 & I'm really glad to see so many others are here starting today as well!  I'm pushing 50 but have no intention of getting old anytime soon!  In fact, I'm in the midst of embarking on a new career in personal training.  I'm in good shape for the most part but my body doesn't always function the way I'd like it to (digestion) and joint pain is starting to put a damper on the many physical activities I enjoy.

I'm a 'practice what you preach' kind of gal and want to be at my best with solid, healthy eating habits and a better handle on my own body's response to different foods before I feel worthy of working with others at the gym.  

My nemesis:  Red wine & cheese, beer & chips, toast & peanut butter.  I love these things…but they are not my friends.  They take over my life and sabotage my efforts to otherwise eat healthy.  Today, we are going our separate ways and I hope I can be strong when they try to woo me back into the dysfunctional relationship we've shared for such a long, long time!  Yikes!

My pantries are cleaned out, my spaghetti squash is baking from the day 1 menu and everything's good so far!  I have a lot of leftovers from breakfast & lunch & I'm sure I will from dinner too so the 7 day meal plan might end up lasting me 21 days??  We'll see... 

Good luck everyone & thanks for listening =)

Did your breakfast include 1-3 cups of veggies and 1-2 servings of fat? Was your salad for lunch huge and including protein and fat?

If you are answering no to either of these questions, know that although you may feel great today, the first day, if you continue to eat too little food and not well composed meals, you will not feel great for long.

I started on July 24th! This is my second round. 

My first round was a minor success as I made it to day 26. I had a few minor slip ups on my first round with a vinegar containing sulphates and some vitamins I was taking containing soy, so when I went to my first social outing for round 1, I basically gave in and had chocolate and beer because I hadn't really been 100% compliant due to not reading labels properly.

This time I am more aware of reading EVERY label, and won't be a social recluse. One of my main goals for this round is to be able to go out with my friends and say "I'm not going to have a drink tonight" (which I say to myself a lot) and actually not have a drink, as I usually end up having a massive binge. 

I am also going to source some white wine vinegar without sulphates! LOL

Started today! Weighing in at 157 lbs.

Did 4-5 whole30s over the course of a year in 2013-2014, then have been traveling for most of the last 2 years, so have been eating anything and everything!

I did one last summer when I was in Berlin, but it didn't really stick. Moved back to the USA about 2 months ago, and am now starting my first whole30 in a year, and 2 years since I've done one proper! (the one in Berlin was a bit lax)

Day 1 was good, although I'm already feeling some carb / sweet cravings, and a bit of brain fog. I remember days 7-12 being intense... Here we go!

Instacart makes things so much easier than last time I tried this in the states! Now all they need is whole30 recipe lists...

• Moderators

I am also going to source some white wine vinegar without sulphates! LOL

Just to clarify this -- every white wine vinegar you look at will contain sulfites, they're in the wine, so any wine-based vinegar will have them. You need to look for one that only contains the naturally occurring ones, not added ones. If you look at the ingredients list and sulfites or sulphur dioxide is listed in the ingredients, that's added. If it's not in the actual ingredients list but is just stated on the bottle that it contains them, then those are naturally occurring and are okay for Whole30 purposes. They put it on the label because some people are sensitive to all sulfites and have to avoid even the naturally occurring ones.

I walked into the kitchen at work this morning to find 3 huge boxes of pastries! Seriously... :o I wasn't hungry though because I had a tasty breakfast with 2 eggs, half avocado, broccoli and zucchini. Thanks for the tip to infuse my water! I just made a batch. Day one down.

Really great to read everyone's updates and best of luck to all for day 2.  I definitely need to include more fat by reading Shannon's replies (thank you for the sound advice).  Added pancetta to the left over frittata for breakfast this morning with left over veggies from last night and added more olive oil.  Lunch is a large kale-based salad with avocado, pancetta, olives, pine nuts a sprinkling of seeds and a dressing of olive oil, compliant balsamic vinegar, pink himalayan salt and lemon juice.   Hope this is enough fat and protein as yesterday's lunch wasn't filling enough and I ended up snacking on a handful of raw nuts and a pear.  If not, I'll need to buy a bigger lunch box because it's packed full!  :D

I don't have the day 2 hangover yet - but it is only 09:50 so anything could happen!

Having trouble finding anywhere local to me that sells ghee or compliant sausage but will continue my search.  I spent ages in a local supermarket last night reading all the packets closely and came out with organic pork mince (ground pork) and pancetta instead of bacon and sausage as they all had added sugar and wheat flour.

Slightly worried about days 12 - 15 as we will be camping by the coast with friends and I am already now thinking about how to prepare.  I'm planning to make some slow cooker chilli as its easy to re-heat, a couple of large frittata's, some of those yummy looking scotch eggs and tuna bites along with lots of salad, avocadoes, grilled chicken, pre-cooked veggies, sweet potatoes, nuts.  Preparation will be key and if anyone has done something similar advice would be welcome.

Just to clarify this -- every white wine vinegar you look at will contain sulfites, they're in the wine, so any wine-based vinegar will have them. You need to look for one that only contains the naturally occurring ones, not added ones. If you look at the ingredients list and sulfites or sulphur dioxide is listed in the ingredients, that's added. If it's not in the actual ingredients list but is just stated on the bottle that it contains them, then those are naturally occurring and are okay for Whole30 purposes. They put it on the label because some people are sensitive to all sulfites and have to avoid even the naturally occurring ones.

Yes it was an added preservative. The only ones I can find in Australia that don't have added sulphites are organic vinegars

I'm at the end of Day 3 here in Australia - I'm starting to struggle and the hangover is definitely kicking in!! But! I know it will pass

Day 2 is a struggle already. I am not used to eating breakfast. I took a bite of my spinach frittata and thought to myself "I really hate this spinach" but decided to suffer through it. Well, next thing I know, I'm gagging and have to run to the bathroom, ugh. Don't think I'll make that again. I had half an avocado after and will probably eat a fried egg and some berries in a bit. Hopefully it is all up from here today!

Hey Carli! I've done a 3-day camping trip before while on Whole30. It's hard but do-able!

I made a bunch of steak, eggs, and sweet potatoes, and brought them along in Tupperware, which we kept on ice in a cooler. That worked decently, but by the end of the trip, I was definitely ready to eat something else.

I'd also make some emergency snack packs, consisting of acceptable foods that can be eaten easily on the go. For me, this is often cucumbers / baby carrots as a veggie, hard boiled eggs as a protein, and nuts as a fat.

Just make sure to bring enough food, and make sure it's got enough carbs / salt if you'll be sweating out in the best : hiking around. You may also need more food than usual if you're being super active.

Archived