Starting Whole30 on July 25th!

Earoti

Day 2 - I'm ready!

I was very bloated yesterday and slept okay, but I felt like I didn't fall fully asleep all night.  I got up and did my HIIT Cardio workout.  The hard boiled egg pre-workout was manageable.  The chicken and mashed sweet potatoes post-workout was a challenge to get down as I was not interested in eating.  

Just had my breakfast of eggs, spinach, mushrooms, onions and avocado.  Lunch again today is spaghetti squash, chicken meatballs and pesto.  Dinner is leftovers - I made the Garlic Shrimp Zoodles with Romesco sauce from the Whole30 book.  Very delicious and filling!  I will use the pesto and romesco sauce later in the week to top chicken and fish and have spaghetti squash and butternut squash for my vegetables.

Still somewhat bloated today, so I hope that passes soon.

Happy eating, y'all!  Day 2 - we got this!!

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 1 done! 

So, I don't know if my plate is too small, but I was hungry most of the day. I am insulin resistant, so I think this may be playing a role, but I will push through! 

Breakfast - 5 mini crustless quiche with kale, mushrooms, and green onion. small bunch of grapes. 

Lunch - Large salad with chicken and raspberry vinaigrette. apple 

Dinner - Pork Loin with roasted sweet potatoes and onions (omitted the apples since I had one with lunch.)

Post workout - nuts 

I know I am suppose to have a pre-work out snack and my meal afterwards, but I work out at 7pm and am typically in bed by 9, would hate to eat a large meal that late just before bed. Any suggestions? TIA!

Day 2 - I'm ready!

I was very bloated yesterday and slept okay, but I felt like I didn't fall fully asleep all night. I got up and did my HIIT Cardio workout. The hard boiled egg pre-workout was manageable. The chicken and mashed sweet potatoes post-workout was a challenge to get down as I was not interested in eating.

Just had my breakfast of eggs, spinach, mushrooms, onions and avocado. Lunch again today is spaghetti squash, chicken meatballs and pesto. Dinner is leftovers - I made the Garlic Shrimp Zoodles with Romesco sauce from the Whole30 book. Very delicious and filling! I will use the pesto and romesco sauce later in the week to top chicken and fish and have spaghetti squash and butternut squash for my vegetables.

Still somewhat bloated today, so I hope that passes soon.

Happy eating, y'all! Day 2 - we got this!!

My first time around I was bloated for the first 2 weeks if not 3 weeks! The moderator said it's because your body is adjusting and adapting to something very different and new and it just takes time to adjust and for your gut to heal and for inflammation to go down. So don't get discouraged!I also was eating mostly broccoli and cauliflower as veggies which make you bloat more so I switched to bell peppers and green beans mostly and that helped a lot.

Love reading all the posts. Day 2 everyone! I love marking off each day on my calendar, it goes by fast! I'm doing good so far, I do have a headache this morning which I'm sure is part of the hangover phase, but I know it will pass soon. The first few weeks are tough, but it's so worth it to keep pushing through!

Day 1 done!

So, I don't know if my plate is too small, but I was hungry most of the day. I am insulin resistant, so I think this may be playing a role, but I will push through!

Breakfast - 5 mini crustless quiche with kale, mushrooms, and green onion. small bunch of grapes.

Lunch - Large salad with chicken and raspberry vinaigrette. apple

Dinner - Pork Loin with roasted sweet potatoes and onions (omitted the apples since I had one with lunch.)

Post workout - nuts

I know I am suppose to have a pre-work out snack and my meal afterwards, but I work out at 7pm and am typically in bed by 9, would hate to eat a large meal that late just before bed. Any suggestions? TIA!

It looks like you need a lot more healthy fats! That's what keeps you satisfied I would add avocado to breakfast, olives to the salad and more extra veggies not just lettuce, dinner looks good, maybe add some ghee to the veggies.

Yeah I agree you don't want to eat a big meal right before bed, but it's important to eat something to help recovery. I would say a hard boiled egg or chicken and some sweet potatoe at the least?

I once received some very sound advice from a doctor friend who was on the autoimmune protocol.  She decided to "commit to deliciousness."  I think that is great.  Work with what you can to make everything you eat delicious.  As a farmer, I had to get off my local, sustainable soapbox and buy some damn avocados.  Commit to deliciousness!  If you don't like spinach, don't eat it.  Find what you love and fill your fridge and cook yummy food and don't worry about anything else right now.  For these 30 days I don't care what is in season as long as it's delicious!

bluefox - I love it, commit to deliciousness! I'm the same way about not eating unless it's local/in season. But I've always made an exception for avocados ;)

You should see me nurturing my baby eggplants encouraging them to grow faster (!) so I can eat them already. They are great for Whole30 meals!

Ok you gotta spill the beans (ok yeah that was a bad food pun) about phat fudge...what is it??

Mary, the paleo chef, created Phat Fudge.  It's a packaged food now, but she shares an early recipe here.  Lots of opportunities to play around with flavors, I think, and get in some good fats!  I just heard her interview on Fat Burning Man podcast.  I highly recommend.

• Administrators

Mary, the paleo chef, created Phat Fudge.  It's a packaged food now, but she shares an early recipe here.  Lots of opportunities to play around with flavors, I think, and get in some good fats!  I just heard her interview on Fat Burning Man podcast.  I highly recommend.

Fat bombs are ruled as "no-go" on Whole30.  See this thread for more info: http://forum.whole30.com/topic/15876-fat-bombs/

Hi everyone - I'm new to the program. Just started yesterday. My naturopath advised me to do it to resolve some digestion problems I've been having. I hope I can stick with it! I don't eat red meat so I'm worried I'll get so sick of eggs - I made a frittata for bk and had it yesterday and today and I don't like it :/ I'm also in the middle of training for a half marathon so that should also be a challenge! Anyways, I'm glad I stumbled upon this group. It will be nice to hear from others going through the same thing. My husband has given up his milk in his coffee and will eat my whole 30 dinners... But he still has his bagel for breakfast - bugger.

Sadly, even if the phat bombs weren't already a no-go, I am not sure I would be able to have them anyway. I won't even let myself have almond butter smeared on a banana during my Whole30 because I lose control of my cravings (it's so yummy). Those phat bombs look and sound so good, I would not be able to control myself!

Hi Betty - welcome! Try not to worry because you're not alone. I have spent most of my life disliking beef and pork in all their forms. Don't worry, I like bacon but that's normally the only pork I eat. It was actually in my first Whole30 that I discovered I can tolerate some beef when it's cooked certain ways but for the most part I still don't eat it. There are many recipes out there that don't use any kind of beef. Pinterest and Instagram have lots of inspiration if you need recipe ideas. I'm also happy to share some of my tried-and-true Whole30 recipes if you'd like.

Hope everyone's day 2 is going well so far!

Day 2 done and dusted....although I have had to pack myself off to bed early to prevent giving into cravings. I really want a diet coke and a yogurt! Feeling great otherwise. The hangover hasn't hit yet but I'm sure it'll probably make an appearance tomorrow.

So good the hear everyone is doing so well!

Start of Day 4 here in Australia - have some strong cramps in my lower abdomen, kind of like gas pain (sorry if TMI). I don't recall having this last round. It is bearable so hoping it will pass soon!

I'm assuming/hoping that is the start of my gut healing itself  

The hangover was real today! I had a headache most of the morning. Luckily lunch and dinner stayed down and were soooo good. Feeling so much better now, just very tired. I hope tomorrow is better and I'm not too grumpy!

Day 2! Am definitely feeling a bit of brain fog, but also feeling really good. Cooke breakfast and lunch, then grabbed a steak salad with avocado out for dinner.

It feels like I'm slipping back into old healthy patterns! It's also great to feel like I'm doing something good and healthy for myself after a couple years of predominantly eating anything I came across.

I imagine the brain fog will get increasingly worse over the next 5-7 days, but it'll pass!

I also got some cravings today. I live in Chinatown, so pass lots of delicious restaurants all the time. But I will prevail! :)

Morning All and Happy Day 3 (or 2 or 4 - whichever day you're on!)  To those who are feeling the hangover and cravings - stick with it!  I believe it'll all be worth it in the end.  Despite my positive post I'm feeling a little groggy this morning and a bit fuzzy - The Hangover I guess.  But I've had worse actual hangovers before!  

I also haven't finished my coffee yet this morning (postponed until after a breakfast of pork sausage pattie, hard boiled egg, 1/2 avocado, sweet potatoes roasted in coconut oil, kale with pine nuts and olive oil - trying hard to embrace the non-breakfast foods for breakfast).  I felt quite hungry for a lot of the day yesterday so I am hoping this more substantial start to the day will help.  

In the office today there is a large bag of doughnuts and a big box of chocolate covered biscuits but I WILL NOT EAT THEM (and this shall be my mantra for the day!)

Have a great day everyone. 

Day 2 done! 

Didn't have a headache, which is good, but had cottonmouth!? Which is weird, as I always drink water, usually 64oz or more a day. I don't drink coffee and cut out soda (my nemesis) a month ago so i think that has helped some. 

I was still hungry most of the day, but that was because I didn't read the reply about healthy fat until after I was at work, so hoping today will be better. I have an avocado on hand! :) Any other suggestions on healthy fats, as I am not the biggest avocado fan. TIA! 

Breakfast - 5 mini crustless quiche, peach 

Lunch - Leftover pork loin with sweet potatoes & onions 

Pre-workout snack - rotisserie chicken (need to add some kind of fat here too.)

Dinner (after workout) - chicken casserole with broccoli, mushrooms, onions, coconut milk, eggs, broth. 

My go-to fats are avocado, coconut cream (like the thick coconut milk in cans that you add to stews, etc), and nuts. I eat on average an avocado a meal when on whole30, and as a result, I'm almost never hungry (although sometimes I still get cravings after meals! But they're unrelated to hunger haha).

If you don't like straight avocado, try some different combos? Maybe some homemade guacamole?

In Japan, it's often common to eat avocados with soy sauce and lemon - people say it tastes kind of like fatty tuna sashimi. During whole30, sometimes I'll do avocado with coconut Aminos, and occasionally add lemon or lime, and it tastes awesome.

Also, make sure to find ripe ones! Unripe or overripe avocados are the worst.

Re: Fats. I think by the end of this I am going to be sick of avocados (and eggs)! I do love Olives though - but for me they are a delicious snack so I have to be careful with consumption.

I don't think I had enough for breakfast today. I made double baked sweet potatoes with a poached egg baked inside. I ate half of a sweet potato (1 egg) and some tomatoes but felt really hungry an hour later. I ate a hard boiled egg but am still feeling peckish. My lunch is in an hour and a half... I have a giant lunch so I hope I can make it!

As for feeling - I am feeling pretty good. No headaches - but I get insanely tired around 3pm each day. I fell asleep both days! I have a work event this afternoon so I hope that will keep me awake and I hope the food is not that great so I don't feel tempted or sad to be missing out.

Re: Fats. I think by the end of this I am going to be sick of avocados (and eggs)! I do love Olives though - but for me they are a delicious snack so I have to be careful with consumption.

I don't think I had enough for breakfast today. I made double baked sweet potatoes with a poached egg baked inside. I ate half of a sweet potato (1 egg) and some tomatoes but felt really hungry an hour later. I ate a hard boiled egg but am still feeling peckish. My lunch is in an hour and a half... I have a giant lunch so I hope I can make it!

As for feeling - I am feeling pretty good. No headaches - but I get insanely tired around 3pm each day. I fell asleep both days! I have a work event this afternoon so I hope that will keep me awake and I hope the food is not that great so I don't feel tempted or sad to be missing out.

The advice I've been given on this forum before is if your only source of protein for breakfast is eggs then one portion is as many as you can hold in one hand.  My ideal is portion is 3 eggs!  Which really surprised me but definitely more filling than just one egg.  I'm really pleased to see the reminder about olives being good fat as I love them. Just added to my shopping list!  Hope the temptation at the work event isn't too much later  :D

Yeah, I didn't see it in the docs this time around (maybe it's in the book?), but three used to be a portion guide.

The guide said to have 1-2 palms worth of protein, a serving of healthy fat (1/2 - whole avocado, 1/4-1/2 can of coconut milk, 1-2 handfuls of nuts), and then fill the rest of the plate with healthy vegetables and the occasional fruit.

For eggs, the healthy portion size is 3-6 eggs per meal, so you should have a minimum of 3 if that's your main protein.

Also, I think a mistake people will often make on whole30 is to try and limit portions and will eat too little to try and lose weight. This usually ends up with them being hungry and then sometimes breaking.

The cool thing about while30 is that you're meant to limit *proportions*, not portions. As long as you keep the foods in the ratio above and you're not messing around with too many sugars / fats in forms that can keep you in old habits, like nuts and fruits, you'll find that even though you're eating a fair amount at each meal, over time, you normalize around eating only as much as you really need, and the pounds still come off. And, you feel way better, because you're full of healthy foods! It's about more than weight loss.

Archived