Can I have low country boil?

jlk1980

Hi Everyone,

So I was invited to a low country boil this weekend. For those that might not know, low country boil is a dish where some combination of shrimp, crab, and crawfish are boiled with seasonings, andouille sausage, potatoes, and... corn. The corn stays on the cob as it boils and you pick through what you want to eat after dumping it all onto a table, so it's easy to avoid the actual corn. But it is all boiled in the same pot so I wanted to make sure before I dug in. The seasonings and sausage are compliant.

Sorry, but I'd have to say no. It really doesn't matter if you eat one little bite of corn, or the whole cob - your gut can't tell the difference, and your gut will start over regardless. I know for me that dish (as delicious as it sounds) would have me totally floored - corn for me is an absolute killer...

Will they be serving any other dishes....? Is it feasible to bring your own food so that you could still go, and still socialize/mingle...?

It really doesn't matter if you eat one little bite of corn, or the whole cob - your gut can't tell the difference, and your gut will start over regardless.

Will they be serving any other dishes....? Is it feasible to bring your own food so that you could still go, and still socialize/mingle...?

No other dishes except dessert that I wouldn't eat anyway. My friend is cooking for just a few of us. The thing is I wouldn't even be having an actual bite of corn. I attached a picture to show that the corn is separate and I would be able to eat the other foods without even having a bite of corn.

FNM_060113-Low-Country-Boil-Recipe_s4x3.

It's the lipid transfer protein in corn that generally causes a reaction in those sensitive. I don't know for sure if that would be present in the rest of the dish having been cooked alongside the corn, even if you didn't actually eat the corn if you see what I mean? I'd hazard a guess that something would be present though.

Regardless of that I personally wouldn't knowingly choose to eat a dish that contained an off plan ingredient during my Whole30, even if my plan was to pick out the offending item.

Ultimately it's your call.

You would also have to ask/read the label of the sausage as those generally are not compliant either.  Sorry!

Ladyshanny makes a great point. I've also found that lots of shrimp sold frozen, fresh, in bags, at the seafood counter, etc. contains additives that are not compliant. If you want to go prepared with compliant foods, check with your seafood market about additives in shrimp and watch for a delicious (and compliant) andouille sausage made by Lou's Naturals under their Garrett Valley brand. You can do the cooking before you go and heat it up to eat with everyone.

http://garrettvalley.com/products/smoked-sausages/smoked-andouille-sausage

Yeah, guess I'm staying that night... -_-

I checked the ingredients on the sausage she uses and it's all compliant. The fish is right off the boat, too, and the spice mix is homemade and all compliant.

Yeah, guess I'm staying that night... -_-

I checked the ingredients on the sausage she uses and it's all compliant. The fish is right off the boat, too, and the spice mix is homemade and all compliant.

Don't stay home, that will only make you resent this process...why not ask if she can make you a small batch minus the corn?

Another sausage company that we like is Aidell's; not all their products are compliant, but they do have some.

Archived