Big challenge coming up.....

My granddaughter is 4 soon and is having a party on the 7th August.  I always make her cakes - I do novelty cakes.  This year is no exception so for several days my kitchen will be filled with cake ingredients, cake which is being cut to shape - so lots of cake left-overs, icing, cake batter and so forth.

The following week I am making cake-pops for my parents' diamond wedding anniversary party - so more cake, chocolate and cream.

How am I going to stop the absent-minded spoon-licking and cake-bits-munching that always used to go on at times like this?

Shoot the dragon? 

Tape my mouth shut? 

wear a mask?

Serious answers needed - but amusing ones also appreciated :)

Hmmm... Check for duct tape sales in your area :)

Serious answer: can you take the bits and pieces left over and Frankenstein a cake or other tasty treat to donate? Your local fire station won't mind, nor will some friends or family, I'm sure. Serious answer part 2: stir with your opposite arm/hand, which won't have the muscle memory to pull a spoon to test. Any way you can break your routine without impacting the quality of the finished product will promote mindfulness, helping you stay in the moment and not in spoon-licking, finger-licking autopilot mode. Or ask a friend to help, and have them keep you honest and in line.

Good luck!

How am I going to stop the absent-minded spoon-licking and cake-bits-munching that always used to go on at times like this?

"used to" is the operative phrase.  :) 

You're training your brain to behave in a new way.  Tell it you're going to only make the cakes this time around.

In addition to the tips above:

- Wear kitchen dishwashing gloves as you cake prep, that you'll be less likely to lick.

- Any leftovers, immediately squirt dishwashing liquid over them and throw them in the trash.

I did a wedding cake project where the object was to have an assortment of really tasty homemade sheet cakes made with butter, buttercream frosting and minimal decoration - truly my kind of cake. It helped to put the mixer bowls and utensils into the dishwasher immediately. Also, the cakes were frozen after baking, frosted while frozen, and frozen again - in bakery boxes - after they were frosted. This made them easier to handle and kept them out of sight and mostly out of mind. Also, I threw the trimmed edges in the trash, cleaned up the kitchen (hid the evidence) after every step of the process, opened the windows, and went out for a walk with my dog while the vapors of loving and caring cleared out. My mom used to say that the thought of eating batter with raw eggs in it was disgusting to her, but that never worked for me.

Good Luck!

Archived