Larger Pre-workout meal?

Llizi81

I'm on day 12 of my first Whole 30 and I'm a runner. I'm currently trying to build speed before I start Half training in just two more weeks, so my mileage is low right now (10-12 miles/wk). I'm also not a morning person yet trying to transition to morning running. My short runs during the week (2-3 miles) I have no problems with, although my evening runs are faster and I feel better, despite the heat. However my morning long runs on the weekends (4-5 miles) I'm struggling with having the energy to go more than 3 miles without feeling almost faint from hunger and have had to walk the last 1.5-2 miles the last 2 weeks. (Even though I'm technically on day 12 I unofficially started about 2 weeks earlier due to a planned party the weekend before my planned start date.) Granted, the heat (and humidity and lack of wind) I feel has had a roll to play in my fatigue, as well as the standard first days fatigue of my body transitioning. Is this something that will pass or should I try eating more?

Pre-workout is generally 3 chicken meatballs (golf ball size-ish) with some mayo or guac

Post workout is usually a 4-5 meatballs or similar size serving of other meat with half a sweet potato

Here's a sample of my meal plan from one day this week:

Breakfast: 1.5 c butternut squash soup, 2 fried eggs and a handful of raspberries (it was supposed to be 3 eggs but I couldnt.)

Lunch: 5 chicken meatballs w/ zoodles from 2 zucchini and Tessamae's Balsamic vinaigrette

Dinner: Moo shu pork with spaghetti squash, carrots and broccoli

Should I up my carbs? I struggle with weight loss (it's needed) so I'm trying not to eat too many, and I would eat sweet potatoes with every meal if I didn't know that was not the best thing, lol. Or do I need to eat more protein? Maybe I just need to be patient and wait for the Tiger Blood! I'm at a loss.

Considering I have a 6 mile run on Sunday that I really don't want to bomb I'may looking for any suggestions anyone might have! Thanks everybody!

Should I up my carbs? I struggle with weight loss (it's needed) so I'm trying not to eat too many, and I would eat sweet potatoes with every meal if I didn't know that was not the best thing, lol. Or do I need to eat more protein? Maybe I just need to be patient and wait for the Tiger Blood! I'm at a loss.

What I just read there is almost answer enough for me. You're an athlete, eating carbs is only going to improve your performance. It becomes a problem when you rely on too many carbs to fuel your run, without training your body to run on fats too. Don't be afraid of eating sweet potatoes. Seriously, HALF a sweet potato? hopefully it was a big one! ;)  I eat a big fist-sized white potato the night before a run. Then another one afterwards. I tested that and it works for me, you'll have to do the same. I would try increasing your carbs, considering that you're barely eating any to begin with. 

Another idea: When running your body goes through phases of warming up and transitioning between different fuel sources. I can't recall the details right now and I can't find it yet on Google. But maybe your body is hitting a kink in one of those phases and still learning.

You've probably heard that you shouldn't try to lose weight while improving running performance. You need to pick one or the other to be effective. And don't get hung up on the elusive Tiger Blood. 

Report in on the Sunday 6, hope it goes well!

LucieB, thanks for your suggestions. First I'm going to say I'm not specifically doing a Whole30 for weight loss, but it's a nice side benefit. I'm being careful with the carbs because my body loves them too much. It's more I'm trying not to gain more weight than I am trying to lose it. Apparently I'm being too careful!

And I'm going to do some research on the phases you're talking about to see if that fits the profile. And because I like more information about anything. :)

I guess I'll enjoy a big dose of sweet potato hash tonight and see how I feel tomorrow!

Karen_Suep, I wondered about the fat. There was also 1T almond butter mixed with the veggies (it's Holistically Engineered Asian Style "Noodles"), so I think I only missed the fat at breakfast. But would the eggs have counted there?

The rule of thumb is fat in addition to meats and cooking fat. I also noticed your breakfast was a little light on protein. When eggs are the only protein, it should be as many as you can hold in one hand (3-4 for most women. If I try I can hold 5, and I don't have large hands). I can't do that much egg at one time so I usually toss in leftover protein from another meal in addition to whatever eggs I have. You did mention you had every intention of eating that third egg so maybe next time do a different protein in addition to eggs. Like a burger patty and a fried egg. My husband loves those. It seems like you're doing well on veggie intake.

From what I can tell, everything else looked ok. Don't be afraid of starchy veggies but don't go overboard either.

Are you drinking enough water? (1/2 oz per lb of body weight, more when you're losing water through sweat and stuff) are you salting your foods? Are you getting enough sleep? These all have an impact on us too.

Update: I finished! I struggled in that same 3-3.5 mile range but I persevered and finished strong with a respectable 12:04 pace. Slower than I wold have preferred but it was warm and I finished, which was the real point. So thanks for everybody's help. I won't shy away from my beloved sweet potatoes and I will add more fat!

Archived