Start Date: August 1, 2016

Hi all, My name is Debbi and I live in Tucson AZ. I am new to Whole30 and super excited to be here! My husband has been asking me what I want for my birthday, and I told him that I want the whole family to go on Whole30 together. My pantry, fridge and freezer have been purged. My menu planning is done and grocery shopping is complete! Well.. complete minus beef fat for cooking and avocados which are $3.99 each.. ugh! I have a few days before I need them so I plan to check out a local spot I heard about to source them. While I would love nothing more than to do all organic, range and cage free I am picking my battles and trying to stretch my budget.

Tomorrow I plan to get my mis en place done and precook Monday's breakfast and lunches. I chose to not follow the given menu because I wanted to tailor it to my husband and son's taste buds so that they will be more accepting of the meals they will be enjoying. I know this won't be easy (nothing worth doing ever is) but the rewards are going to be so amazing its worth the struggle to learn new habits and change our lives for the better.

I am so glad this forum exists.. it will help keep me sane when I am in the low energy and bite your head off phase just to know someone else has been through it and can offer me suggestions and help. I look forward to succeeding with you all and getting back my life, and feeling better both physically and emotionally!

Day One Breakfast: Made Melissa's Chicken Hash (p228) Good thing I had a backup plan. The entire family strongly disliked this. The hubby was at work so he choked it down. My son and I had scrambled eggs cooked in olive oil with salt and pepper instead, with a banana for DS and salsa for me. Feel full so will eat my fruit a little later. So glad that I had a backup plan in place! Got a text from my friend saying they aren't going to do the plan until September .. so lost my girl power partner. Still plan to keep going. Hey! At least this way I can pre-test some recipes and be there for her emotionally when the time comes for her start, plus I will know the best places to get stuff. I know she will be there for me as well. She is great that way!

Hi Debbi! I started today as well! So far so good, although I really missed cream in my coffee and I'm currently craving some chocolate as an after lunch treat. Thankfully, I'm pretty full from lunch so I think I'll be able to slay the sugar dragon for now. I made egg, sausage, bell pepper and spinach muffins for breakfast (using the Whole30 sausage recipe) and they turned out delicious. My husband really liked them! They were super easy to make and store nicely for weekday breakfasts. 

I wish you great success on the journey!

Annette

First timer here too!!! Hoping this helps me with my multiple health issues. Egg "muffins" are my new love! Made them today in prosciutto cups with roasted zucchini and red pepper! Delish!!!

Here's to Day 1 and making it through--- one meal at a time I suppose.

Joining you from So Cal...

Jessica

I am on day 6 and doing pretty good overall. No headaches, no kill on site, and though I am low energy today I am overcoming it. The best part is I have zero cravings too! Cooking and meal planning still take up a lot of time, but I am getting better at it. My hubby and I have been 100% on plan so far! For our 8yo son we have incorporated those banana muffins I was recommended to check out and he loves them! They lack the vanilla as I couldn't find any on plan vanilla in either bean or extract form, but he doesn't care so why should I!

I have found out that I DO like coffee.. if I add a little coconut cream to it to cut the bitterness a tad. Otherwise I don't miss it and besides its hot. I think I have had only 2 cups so far. The Melissa's hash we disliked as a family has been made in smaller batches to allow it to crisp up in a cast iron skillet. Hubby likes it but I still do not so he can have it. I found some WONDERFUL chicken/apple sausages at safeway that are all W30 compliant so I am using them at breakfast =D

Honestly, I am surprised how easily my entire family has become acclimated to these changes. The only one having any issues at all is my son, and that is because we are making him eat at least ONE unfamiliar fruit or veggie each day. Child cannot survive on carrot and celery sticks alone! He also is having some good results already which have reinforced the importance to him of these changes. He always is constipated, and since day 3 he hasn't been! So he told me he is GLAD we are doing this even when he doesn't always like the food. Yaaaa!

Archived