What kinds of tea can I have?

Sarah Liz

20 minutes ago, MichaelaVitrano said:

I'm confused by the vanilla extract. Is this tea compliant with the ingredient list previously mentioned (specifically the vanilla extract) ...this is the reason I have not allowed myself this tea but I would love a cup of it is ok!

ROOIBOS, LICORICE ROOT, BLACKBERRY LEAVES, CINNAMON, APPLE PIECES, PEACH PIECES, VANILLA EXTRACT, CHAMOMILE FLOWERS.

In this instance, this is ok. (I'm pretty sure). The non compliance is the alcohol vanilla extract includes. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators
19 minutes ago, Karen_Suep said:

In this instance, this is ok. (I'm pretty sure). The non compliance is the alcohol vanilla extract includes. 

Nope, sorry. Vanilla extract in any product would not be compliant. 

30 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

Nope, sorry. Vanilla extract in any product would not be compliant. 

But if it included alcohol, shouldn't the alcohol be disclosed? I thought I'd seen (I can't recall a specific instance right now) where other extracts were compliant 

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, Karen_Suep said:

But if it included alcohol, shouldn't the alcohol be disclosed? I thought I'd seen (I can't recall a specific instance right now) where other extracts were compliant 

Vanilla extract (and any extract) is made by soaking the flavoring agent (vanilla beans, almonds) in ethyl alcohol therefore making it non compliant. I believe vanilla extract is recognized as its own thing so showing the manufacturing process wouldn't be required. Like having to list grapes as an ingredient of wine.

For Whole30 purposes, vanilla extract is not compliant.

1 hour ago, ladyshanny said:

Vanilla extract (and any extract) is made by soaking the flavoring agent (vanilla beans, almonds) in ethyl alcohol therefore making it non compliant. I believe vanilla extract is recognized as its own thing so showing the manufacturing process wouldn't be required. Like having to list grapes as an ingredient of wine.

For Whole30 purposes, vanilla extract is not compliant.

Ok. That makes sense. Thanks! :)

• 2 months later...

On day 5 of Whole30 and was rooting around in my tea bags in my pantry. I found Celestial Seasonings Chocolate Caramel Herbal Tea. There is no soy lecithin in it. Here are the ingredients: roasted carob, roasted chicory, natural chocolate and caramel flavors with other natural flavors, milk thistle, cinnamon, and sea salt.

I looked up milk thistle and it's a flower/herb. Do you think this tea is compliant?

I think the suspect ingredients are "natural chocolate and caramel flavors."  I know caramel color is sugar, but caramel flavoring? I would hazard a guess that it is made with sweetener somehow.

See this thread, Tom Denham's response:

Further searching, Caramel flavoring was given a no here:

About the chocolate flavor, this tea was given an ok:

But this product with chocolate flavor was consensus on the no side, but had other factors:

And there is also this thread where "natural _____ flavor" was given an ok, specifically almond.

Plain old non-specific "other natural flavors" seem to be ok.

• Moderators

Natural flavors are fine, even if they specify what the flavor is.  You're right that caramel color is not allowed as it is a sneaky sugar but it's not the same as natural flavor.  The RX bar was not approved because it's basically a recreation of a chocolate bar and it had 100% chocolate in it which is not allowed for sweet treats.

The tea @Kyoung123 is asking about is fine and your response was amazing and thorough! Loved it!

Thank you both for your quick answers to my question. I should have also mentioned that there are zero sugars in the nutritional info. But Melissa's points were very good and the links informative. Thanks for the links!  And thanks SugarcubeOD for your answer - I will definitely try the tea, maybe tonight after dinner. I can't wait to get past this day. It's a Kill. All. The. Things. day and I'm feeling very deprived. Missing my starbucks and my wine! Deep breath. Hoping I feel better tomorrow.

• 5 months later...

I haven't started my whole30 yet but I'm trying to find yummy compliant teas... 

Liptons herbal tea "summer fruits" has:

rosehips, hibiscus flower, natural flavour (whatever that means), sweet blackberry leaves,  strawberry & raspberry dried fruit pieces, passion fruit juice concentrate, and banana purée

I'm suspect because of the dried fruit, the juice concentrate and the purée. But can anyone tell me for sure? Maybe I'm being too picky...

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, caitlioness said:

I haven't started my whole30 yet but I'm trying to find yummy compliant teas... 

Liptons herbal tea "summer fruits" has:

rosehips, hibiscus flower, natural flavour (whatever that means), sweet blackberry leaves,  strawberry & raspberry dried fruit pieces, passion fruit juice concentrate, and banana purée

I'm suspect because of the dried fruit, the juice concentrate and the purée. But can anyone tell me for sure? Maybe I'm being too picky...

The dried fruit, the juice concentrate, and the banana puree are all going to make this taste sweeter. None of them are against the rules -- you could have this on you Whole30 if you wanted to. 

I would caution you to pay attention to how you use this though. I've never tasted it, so I'm not sure how sweet it's actually going to taste, but if it's sweet enough that you find yourself using it because you're craving something sweet, or even craving the tea because it is sweet, you might want to set it aside until you're done with Whole30. Natural foods can be sweet, and there's nothing inherently wrong with that, but if like many of us you have a sweet tooth and are used to desserts or sweet snacks, the best way to break those habits is to not have sweets when you want something sweet. 

Archived