Help with Fat Servings

Hi, 

Should I be eating servings of fats in addition to the fat used for cooking? I know the serving size rules, 1-2 thumbs, 1/2-1 avocado, etc.

For context/background:

I'm on my second round of Whole30. Last time I realized around half way or so that I wasn't following the "principles" of the program when it came to snacks and fruits, it was just an error on my part (there is a lot to think about). While all the foods I ate were compliant, I realized at some point that I was likely eating too much fruit, using it as a mid-afternoon snack or dessert. This time around I want to minimize that. 

I now realize that it was likely because I wasn't having enough fat at mealtime to keep me fueled for 4-5 hours. The stretch between lunch and dinner seemed like an eternity. 

My question is: should I be having this much fat in addition to the cooking fat I use for making either meat and/or veggies?  Or does cooking my meat in a "thumb" of butter satisfy the amount I should be having to stay full? 

Thank you!

• Moderators

Cooking fat should rarely be considered because you rarely eat much of it. It stays in the pan or in juice on the plate. It is almost always important to add fat like avocado, olives, mayo, tahini, etc. Another route to making sure you get enough fat is to choose fatty cuts of meat over lean cuts, but even then you might need to add additional fat. For instance, mayo on chicken thighs, mayo on salmon, chopped olives on chuck roast...

Cooking fat should rarely be considered because you rarely eat much of it. It stays in the pan or in juice on the plate. It is almost always important to add fat like avocado, olives, mayo, tahini, etc. Another route to making sure you get enough fat is to choose fatty cuts of meat over lean cuts, but even then you might need to add additional fat. For instance, mayo on chicken thighs, mayo on salmon, chopped olives on chuck roast...

What about one of the sauces from the Whole30 book?  Would you count that as your fat source.  For instance, I made the chicken meatballs (protein), the roasted spaghetti squash (vegetable) and topped it with the pesto sauce which contains olive oil, that doesn't get cooked off (fat).  Would that be a balanced Whole30 meal?  I am not counting the cooking fat I used to cook the chicken meatballs in as my fat, but the pesto as my fat.  

• Moderators

What about one of the sauces from the Whole30 book?  Would you count that as your fat source.  For instance, I made the chicken meatballs (protein), the roasted spaghetti squash (vegetable) and topped it with the pesto sauce which contains olive oil, that doesn't get cooked off (fat).  Would that be a balanced Whole30 meal?  I am not counting the cooking fat I used to cook the chicken meatballs in as my fat, but the pesto as my fat.  

Yes, the pesto sauce is your fat in that meal. If you plated the meal up and thought, you know, I just really want some olives with this, or a few chopped nuts on top for texture, or some avocado, or a salad with some salad dressing, that would be fine as well. It's unlikely that you're going to overeat fats in the context of a meal.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that if you are composing your meals correctly with appropriate amounts of protein and fat and lots of vegetables, you'll be able to easily wait 4-5 hours between meals, and you'll find that if something happens and you have to wait even longer, you'll know you're hungry, but you won't get the hangry, moody, must-eat-something-right-now kind of hunger that you might experience when you're used to more carb-heavy meals. That's how Whole30 can say no snacking -- you don't need the snacks, because if you're eating the right mix of foods in the right amounts, you're just not hungry until it's time to eat again. Fat is a big part of making that work.

Thanks, ShannonM816!  I do believe I am doing this correctly at each meal because I don't feel the need to snack.  I'm able to make it to each meal with no hunger pains or hangry feelings.  

Last night after dinner, I was full and remembered that I had cashews in the pantry.  At first I thought, "I'll just have a handful".  And then I asked myself, "are you really hungry to want to eat them?".  I decided I was full and didn't need them and didn't eat them.

I'm happy I'm slowly changing the way I think about what I'm putting in my mouth and when.  

Archived