Party, Off Plan Choices Made

So I hosted a party at my house last night (day 11). I did my best to prepare foods I would choose to eat. One item I was planning to make, my mom made for me. It was made with noncompliant mayo but there really wasn't any other choice. Other than one glass of wine and some mayo I did really well. I felt strong and wasn't white knuckling it the whole time. I felt some effects from my food choices this AM, but OK overall. I got right back on my Whole30 plan this morning with no problem. I do not plan to start over, I plan to continue. Has anyone else faced a social situation like this? A small serving of an off plan food/drink? What was your experience after? This has been such a life altering experience already, I am in this for the long haul. I feel like I made some choices and I am moving forward.

• Administrators

Hi Stacy, in order to keep the forum clear and with a minimum of confusion, I've moved your post to its own thread in the Off Track section of our forum. It's important to keep the on-plan threads as clear as possible. As this was not a slip or a mistake but a choice you made as an adult, it's more suitable to discuss this in the off plan section so as not to confuse anyone who happens by and thinks that having wine halfway through is an acceptable Whole30-based choice.

I trust you understand.

I understand why you chose to move my comment but it certainly feels like I am being punished by removing my comment. I thought these threads were to help support everyone through times like this not isolate us when we are pushing through a challenge. It feels a bit dishonest in my opinion. I was under the understanding that the thread was for the people in the thread to interact and talk about what was happen on our individual Whole30 experience. I guess I will look elsewhere for that type of support. 

• Administrators

I can understand why you might be feeling that way and I apologize but I stand by my decision. The threads are certainly for commiserating and supporting each other. We would never remove or move a comment that was in the nature of "I ordered plain grilled chicken and brocoli and the waitress assured me there was no dairy but I could taste the butter that the brocoli was coated in".  This is an honest mistake.  Choosing to pour or accept a glass of wine isn't. It's an offplan choice in the middle of a thread of people that may be struggling with making the Whole30 compliant choice which is not always the easiest choice.

You're not being punished though. Whole30 is hard and it takes a lot of people a few attempts to get through it fully compliant. We support your efforts and we want to talk through it with you if you want to start over and go for 30 compliant days. We can talk about why you chose to go off plan, what was happening at the time that may have driven you towards the wine, how you felt and whether or not it's important to you to have those 30 compliant days. But we shouldn't be discussing or coaching you in a Whole30 group thread when you willingly chose to go off plan. 

You weren't kicked off the forum, you're still accessible and your conversation is still relevant.  It just needed to move next door. :)

On August 13, 2016 at 5:03 PM, stacyjewelry said:

I understand why you chose to move my comment but it certainly feels like I am being punished by removing my comment. I thought these threads were to help support everyone through times like this not isolate us when we are pushing through a challenge. It feels a bit dishonest in my opinion. I was under the understanding that the thread was for the people in the thread to interact and talk about what was happen on our individual Whole30 experience. I guess I will look elsewhere for that type of support. 

Hi there, Stacy - you can still get support and talk about what's happening in this section, and you will. These forums are full of wonderfully supportive people. It's also full of people just beginning the plan, who may not even ever post or comment. Ladyshanny just doesn't want those people to be confused.

Do you want to discuss those choices made? I know I was in those situations during my W30, though I made different choices. Maybe a different mindset will help you stay compliant next time.

Thanks for reaching out. I joined some FB groups and that is helping. I also have an amazing group of girlfriends who I vented to, that helps always! I am really struggling, family stuff, not feeling well, etc. I am white knuckling it along. I am in this for the long haul so being 100% compliant and such is important to me.  I am unwilling to just give up because I reached the limits of my will power. I don't know about other people but this is not effortless and does require a lot of my will power. The event I spoke about I was really proud of how I handled it, I made a choice to not use up all my will power and give up the whole thing (if I felt like I had to start again I think I would have binged and boozed). The way this was handled by the moderator was a huge blow to my confidence and I almost gave up the whole thing. Learned from that experience, got support elsewhere and have move forward. I also had a different conversation with another moderator about some symptoms I was having and he was very helpful. I consider myself on day 16, I am struggling through. This will be a very challenging 2 weeks to get through, I have several events in the next 2 weeks and 3 gut wrenching emotional situations unfolding right now. I also have allergies or a cold that isn't helping. Trying to stay positive and hang in there. I have a fridge full of beautiful food and I made some dressing and mayo last night. I have good choices at my finger tips, that always helps. Thank you for reaching out.

Archived