Starting August 22! Woo Hoo

EJSmith

Skin breakouts, fatigue, joint pain, muscle pain, stomach problems, irritability, stressed, back pain, inflammation etc etc etc....Do I need any more reasons to start this? My main question to myself is why the hell did I wait so long and how exactly did I get to this point? Life seems to zoom by in a flash, months and months eventually years go by and here I am, unhealthy, upset with myself, and just plain exhausted. I picked up this book after hearing about the diet from a few people I knew, I had no expectations. I started to read just the first chapter, then I couldn't put it down! It all clicked, it's only 30 days. 30 DAYS. I finally have this laser focus to do it right this time, not only for a month but for life. Let me know if you too are starting on 8/22, also follow me on Instagram --> Instagram.com\emjasmit --> I get a lot of cooking ideas, inspiration from there! Good luck! :)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck!  I have to tell you, the stomach problems are the most dramatic non-scale victory for me. I am on Day 30, and I seriously don't think I have ever in my life felt good in my stomach.  I seriously haven't felt like I'm going to puke, had unidentifiable cramping and fullness and general grossness.  I am so scared to do the reintroduction process because I don't ever want to go back to feeling like that again. I never knew you could eat and not have stomach issues! You can do it and it is worth it!!

That's funny you say that because my life has been dealing with that "general grossness" feeling! haha  I had been pretty "healthy" by my 20 year old standards but I soon realized that it wasn't cutting it anymore. Seems like after 25 my body just went NOPE! It is very comforting to know there are SO many people, like yourself, that have conquered these first 30 days. I think that's one of the factors that drew me in, the amount of resources and support is amazing! Good luck transitioning out, I read that it is scary kind of like flying blind, but I'm sure you will be fine!!

Hi! I'd love to join you. I was going to wait a week, but I really don't have any reason to.  I completed a whole30 about three years ago, and felt fantastic! I ate pretty healthty for a while after, but slowly CRAP has drifted back into my diet.  Crap like cheez its and beer. Blech. I'm bloated, sluggish, weak (even though I work out 5 times a week) and tired. "general grossness" describes it well. So, let's do it! 

Awesome! I anxious to get started, yet not ready at the same time! I have a concert planned for the 26th so I'm praying to the whole30 Gods to keep the beer temptations away from me hahha! I hope that the crap doesn't sneak it's way in on us, don't know if I could stand starting over once I've begun :( 

I have chosen the 22nd to start my second Whole30.  Glad to have support!  I finished my first Whole30 in the middle of May.  I felt great and then the old habits started up again.  Hoping they stick longer this time.  Looking forward to Monday!

Hey! I was thinking about starting August 22 too, but as soon as I end I have a food and wine trip planned to Disney, so I'm not sure that would be best, because if I start after the Disney trip, I have a trip to Vegas mid October. Not sure which one is better to do a Whole 30 on. Any tips?

I'm going to be starting the 22nd as well! I don't need to lose weight, but I battle asthma, chronic headaches, chronic fatigue, anxiety, breakouts, and just other issues that I'm hoping will get back on track. I recently went to see a neurologist for my headaches and I'm not allowed to take painkillers for a month, so while looking up natural headache remedies, I saw things about anti-inflammatory diets, then an old friend mentioned the Whole 30. Him and his husband recently completed it and he feels a lot bettin r, so I figured why not! I eat pretty healthy, but I do like my grains and wine and beer. And CHEESE! I don't eat a lot of meat and I'm picky about it, so that will be slightly difficult, but I'll just have to figure out ways to get everything I need. I'd like my husband to do it with me (because he complains about everything in the world), but he's at least promised to be supportive and not drink around me, and he'll eat everything I cook. So I will definitely be looking for support from other members to stay on track!

Hi I am starting August 22nd too.  This will be my 4th whole30.  Too many of the foods that my body doesn't like have crept back in.  I feel rubbish and have been trying to psych myself up for this for months. 

We just got back from a trip away. I have hardly any food in the house but I am not putting it off any longer.  I will wing it the first couple of days until I do a big shop mid week.  Also need to order some coconut aminos and make mayonaise. 

Look forward to chatting more along the way.

:)

I'm starting on August 22nd as well. I heard about this last spring, ordered the books, and finally got them before I went on vacation. Now I've read them and I'm pumped! My biggest worry is that I'm not going to be able to find enough variety here in Finland to make this work, but I am not going to give up before I've even started! Good luck, everyone.

I'm starting my first round tomorrow too! I have also been dealing with always feeling gross and feeling sick after every meal. (Sidenote: I'm 22, so we are kind of in the same stage of life which is pretty cool.) Let's do this!

Here we go!!! Whose pumped?! Lol so last night I was cleaning out the pantry/ prepping food like a mad woman. Doesn't help that this morning I had to drop off my chocolate lab to get neutered :( so lots to deal with today but I feel so much better that I prepared for everything! The spinach frittata saved my life, and it was delicious (added prosciutto,yum) also made my protein salad wit pre cut veggies and hard boiled eggs/sliced avocado. Kroger sells a Whole 30 approved salad dressing called Tessemae's All Natural dressing, which was great because I forgot to order salad dressing online. All in all not a bad morning but hey, it's only 8:45 so we will see how I feel after this work day! Good luck you guys, we got this! 

4 minutes ago, erikalaureng said:

I'm starting my first round today too! I also deal with the feeling of being generally gross and have stomach issues when I eat certain foods. Looking forward to a reset and lifestyle change!

I am looking forward to not waking up with a stomach ache, or acne breakouts etc.  And you're right, it is a lifestyle change which is what drew me to the program! So ready to change the bad habits! Good luck :)

Hi everyone! 

I started by second Whole30 today and I'm planning to go longer (60 or 90) as last time I didn't give myself enough time to solidify my good habits. 

Last time I made lots of mistakes: 

- I didn't know I needed to eat a low FODMAP diet so a lot of my symptoms didn't go away 

- I ate way too many nuts and dried fruits 

- I failed to eat enough protein (especially at night)

This time round I am feeling motivated and determined and much better prepared, and one day in (I'm in the UK) I'm feeling good! Looking forward to getting to know you all a little better and helping each other out. 

Alex :)

I'm also starting my first go-round with Whole 30 today (Aug. 22). I had 2 out-of-town events at the beginning of the month that I knew would cause problems if I started earlier. (How do you tell family members at the reunion that you can't eat the ravioli or creme horns they brought??) And I gave myself a week to plan what I was going to do.

I will admit that I have been doing a "test run" after having read the book in mid-July. I was already doing Bob Harper's "Skinny Rules" so I was not doing sugar or even many grains. Once I read the book I dropped pasta, bread, and white potatoes for the most part. I have experienced some of the Whole 30 benefits -- many fewer instances of acid reflux, softer skin, and my sinus issues have been reduced almost to nothing. (I live in Kentucky, the black-hole center of allergy issues. I always carry tissues and I've had 2 sinus infections this year so far, needing antibiotics.) I have already discovered that I can't eat crackers or pretzels -- something in those items is causing me acid reflux -- but (minimal) potato chip consumption doesn't seem to cause a problem. At least right now. But of course, the wasted non-nutritional calories!......

I'm looking forward to going through the program and seeing what other benefits I experience.

Hi Everyone, today is day 1 for me as well. Would love to join the group :) I'm doing this due to constant stomach issues as well, also fatigue and irritability. I am very much looking forward to feeling as great as everyone says I will feel!

I have a feeling this is going to end up being a way of life well past the 30 days. 

Let's do this!!!

Survived day 1, just waking up on day 2 (I am in Australia). 

Still feeling motivated although I am really tired.  Big day at work plus an education sesion after, must resist the snacks! 

Have a great day every one. 

Love the larabars! About to wrap up day 1 soon, it was not as bad as I thought haha we shall see how I feel tomorrow as I have a pretty long day (already prepped all my meals thank god).  Hope everyone is having a great day, let's kick some more butt tomorrow :) 

Day 1 was kind of rough for me. Cooking isn't my specialty and ended up making a glass pan explode all over the kitchen with a ton of scratches all over me. Thankfully, I was ok and was able to complete day 1 semi-successfully. I definitely need to work on my cooking skills :unsure:

Oh wow @Vick - you need some cast iron non stick pans!

Ladies, those of you worrying about snacking - just be sure to make your meals bigger than you think you will need them in these early days. Eat what you can & then you have the remainder for if you feel a little hungry later. Many people underestimate how much food they will need, but if you have plenty of prepared food with you then you'll not be tempted to snack on anything non compliant.

With regards to the larabars - these are for emergency use only.

If you feel like having a snack consider if it's genuine hunger, or just a habit. If it's hunger you need to increase the size of your next meal. If it's a habit then your Whole30 is the perfect time to break it.

Good luck for day 2!

4 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Ladies, those of you worrying about snacking - just be sure to make your meals bigger than you think you will need them in these early days. Eat what you can & then you have the remainder for if you feel a little hungry later. Many people underestimate how much food they will need, but if you have plenty of prepared food with you then you'll not be tempted to snack on anything non compliant.

I would second this, On my first whole 30 it took me a while to get used to eating much bigger meals, but once I did, I didn't even want to snack any more. Once the sugar cravings subside, that helped reduce my urge to snack too. 

Day 1 went well for me and I slept really well last night. I can feel the urge to snack today but I know it's just habit, not hunger. 

Are any of you athletes? I had forgotten how hard the first few days are and struggled in the gym yesterday and today, Cannot wait to get fat-adapted! 

Archived