Starting August 22! Woo Hoo

EJSmith

28 minutes ago, AlexLifts said:

I would second this, On my first whole 30 it took me a while to get used to eating much bigger meals, but once I did, I didn't even want to snack any more. Once the sugar cravings subside, that helped reduce my urge to snack too. 

Day 1 went well for me and I slept really well last night. I can feel the urge to snack today but I know it's just habit, not hunger. 

Are any of you athletes? I had forgotten how hard the first few days are and struggled in the gym yesterday and today, Cannot wait to get fat-adapted! 

I had a hard time at the gym last night but I didn't think it was from the Whole 30 since it's only been one day....is it really affecting me already? I got an insanely bad headache out of nowhere while lifting, I pushed through for as long as I could but ended up cutting my workout short and definitely struggled with weight I can usually lift with ease. Another question for you as an athlete....I had eggs and salsa when I got home from my workout, is that ok on the whole 30? Any tips would be greatly appreciated :) 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Dispatchgirl said:

I had a hard time at the gym last night but I didn't think it was from the Whole 30 since it's only been one day....is it really affecting me already? I got an insanely bad headache out of nowhere while lifting, I pushed through for as long as I could but ended up cutting my workout short and definitely struggled with weight I can usually lift with ease. Another question for you as an athlete....I had eggs and salsa when I got home from my workout, is that ok on the whole 30? Any tips would be greatly appreciated :) 

It can definitely affect you after one day. In all likelihood, you won't have eaten as many carbs as normal and your body may have struggled as a result. Once you've adapted and your body has gotten better at burning fat for fuel, you'll be fine. Or, it might have just been a tough day for you! 

I decided this week that I'm prioritising diet over exercise, so whilst I am doing my workouts, if they're hard and I can't do as much as normal, I'm not going to stress it. I know in a few weeks I'll feel stronger and fitter than pre-W30. 

The protocol for post-workout meals is to concentrate on protein and carbs, and limit fat ( as fat slows down protein absorption). The usual recommendations are things like chicken breast + sweet potatoes, or white fish and swede. I need to eat my PWO meal on the go so I make these 'muffins' made of egg whites, spinach and ground turkey and eat them with some potatoes or swede. 

I'm by no means an expert, but feel free to ask away if you have any other questions. If I can't help then one of the mods will be able to :)

Day 1 went well for me but day 2 is going to be a little bit of a fight. I am at work and there is a smorgasbord of chocolate staring at me all day long! Seriously it's bad, a coworker's spouse works at a chocolate company....there are boxes of snickers mulitple kinds, mars bars, multiple kinds of m & m's...REALLY?!?!? I will NOT eat any but come on, give me a break HAHAHA

7 minutes ago, AlexLifts said:

It can definitely affect you after one day. In all likelihood, you won't have eaten as many carbs as normal and your body may have struggled as a result. Once you've adapted and your body has gotten better at burning fat for fuel, you'll be fine. Or, it might have just been a tough day for you! 

I decided this week that I'm prioritising diet over exercise, so whilst I am doing my workouts, if they're hard and I can't do as much as normal, I'm not going to stress it. I know in a few weeks I'll feel stronger and fitter than pre-W30. 

The protocol for post-workout meals is to concentrate on protein and carbs, and limit fat ( as fat slows down protein absorption). The usual recommendations are things like chicken breast + sweet potatoes, or white fish and swede. I need to eat my PWO meal on the go so I make these 'muffins' made of egg whites, spinach and ground turkey and eat them with some potatoes or swede. 

I'm by no means an expert, but feel free to ask away if you have any other questions. If I can't help then one of the mods will be able to :)

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! Have a great day :) 

1 hour ago, Dispatchgirl said:

Day 1 went well for me but day 2 is going to be a little bit of a fight. I am at work and there is a smorgasbord of chocolate staring at me all day long! Seriously it's bad, a coworker's spouse works at a chocolate company....there are boxes of snickers mulitple kinds, mars bars, multiple kinds of m & m's...REALLY?!?!? I will NOT eat any but come on, give me a break HAHAHA

That's cruel lol my old job was the same! People would bring In doughnuts, pastries and candy all the time!! It was so hard with that in my face all day long :( luckily I left that job and it's much better now! As far as what to eat PWO I was struggling with that yesterday. I hadnt prepared with food to eat, as I'm so used to just throwing a protein shake together. I'm guessing having some hardboiled eggs and white potatoes? Or a little meal of chicken and some carbs? I must say I am missing my shakes :( and also what about supplements like pre- workout and creatine etc? I'm certain those have sugar in them. 

20 minutes ago, EJSmith said:

what about supplements like pre- workout and creative etc? I'm certain those have sugar in them. 

Any preWO supplement or the likes of creatine that have non compliant ingredients are all off limits I'm afraid.

I'd comment that relying on these supplements when we're trying to encourage you to eat whole foods kind of goes against the spirit of the program, and you might be surprised at how well you perform without them - there is very little (if anything!) in these supplements that you won't get in abundance from real foods.

It's only 30 days :)

Hey everyone! I just found this forum, and I also just started my Whole 30 yesterday!  This will be my third round, and I am so excited to start feeling great again! My first round was over a year ago, and the changes I felt and experienced were amazing - I never knew I could feel that good about myself! My second round was a few months later, and that one wasn't as profound for me, but I also wasn't as committed... I followed the program, but I ate too many fruits and nuts :/. This time I am ready to put my best effort forth and make some drastic lifestyle changes! 

Day 1 went well, and I'm looking forward to a great Day 2!! :)

Hi All,

Another question for the veterans :) I keep reading from people that have done this before that they ate too much fruit and I'm wondering how much is too much fruit? I am eating a quarter of a cantelope with breakfast and an apple with lunch...is this too much? Sorry to be a bother I just want to make sure I'm doing this right :) 

1 minute ago, Dispatchgirl said:

Hi All,

Another question for the veterans :) I keep reading from people that have done this before that they ate too much fruit and I'm wondering how much is too much fruit? I am eating a quarter of a cantelope with breakfast and an apple with lunch...is this too much? Sorry to be a bother I just want to make sure I'm doing this right :) 

That amount is fine, although you may do better holding back the fruit for meals 2 + 3, rather than meals 1 + 2. It has less of an impact on blood sugar that way.

The recommendation is for a max 1-2 servings per day, with a serving being a closed fist sized piece. In summer when there are more fruits in season it's fairly natural to eat a little more. Just don't allow it to push the veg off of your plate, & don't rely on it as a snack, and you should be fine.

3 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

That amount is fine, although you may do better holding back the fruit for meals 2 + 3, rather than meals 1 + 2. It has less of an impact on blood sugar that way.

The recommendation is for a max 1-2 servings per day, with a serving being a closed fist sized piece. In summer when there are more fruits in season it's fairly natural to eat a little more. Just don't allow it to push the veg off of your plate, & don't rely on it as a snack, and you should be fine.

Thank you!!!

I started my Whole30 yesterday as well! I'm definitely still in the "really into it" phase as I am going through the book with a highlighter and marking everything that seems helpful/impactful. I'm already gluten-free which I think makes the transition easier for me because I tend to not eat many of the grains (save for oatmeal and quinoa). 

I don't have anyone doing this with me at home- which is fine- but having a community to reference online is a great substitute. It seems like a large part of the success of people is making Whole30 friends! 

So here's a little about me: I live in Vermont, I have a dog named Bristol (who is also gluten free- go figure), I work as a nurse and I'lll be going back to school this Fall to do a post-bac. I started this because one of my friends suggested it to me and recently I've been having the upset stomach/GI/bloating that I used to attribute to gluten- but since I've been GF for over 3 years now- it can't only be that. I'm here to reset and refocus and hopefully make peace with my stomach again. This will be my first Whole30. 

Really "frexcited" for this and glad I'm not doing this alone. 

Welcome to the group of Whole30'ers :)

I agree with you on how great it is to have a community of people to bounce ideas off of and ask questions. I feel like anyone who decides to do this is the type of person i should associate with, as most of the people in my life are not the most "health conscious". I am lucky to be doing this with my significant other (which is a struggle because he loves his bacon and whiskey lol)   

Good luck, and if you have any questions I will try and help you out! :) 

8 hours ago, Dispatchgirl said:

Ugh more sugar?!?!? Someone just came in to work and dropped off a box timbits and a dozen donuts....they are really testing me HAHAHA

Not eating any of it!!!

Well done for resisting! 

Day 2 finished well for me. I had a drinks function after work and then a dinner out with a colleague/friend and both passed without going off plan. Fortunately my friend is understanding of my 'weird' dietary habits (when not on W30 I still don't eat gluten, dairy or legumes) so he'd booked somewhere compliant and I didn't even miss the 2 glasses of wine I'd normally have with him. 

I was a little nervous about having a night out this early on in the 30 days but figured now was a good a time as any to test my resolve. 

I was trying to make the mayonnaise for the ranch recipe, but the mayonnaise turned out really runny and didn't blend well. I used a 3 speed blender. Would it be better to use a food processor instead? If so what would be a good decently priced brand and/or model?

10 minutes ago, Vick said:

I was trying to make the mayonnaise for the ranch recipe, but the mayonnaise turned out really runny and didn't blend well. I used a 3 speed blender. Would it be better to use a food processor instead? If so what would be a good decently priced brand and/or model?

I used my vitamix on the very lowest setting so I think you should be fine with a blender. Maybe try it on the lowest or middle setting and pour the oil reeeeeally slowly? 

Did you let the ingredients come to room temperature before blending? 

My mayo seemed runny when i made it but then hardened up in the fridge. It still seems slightly more runny than store-bought but I assume that's because of the lack of thickeners/additives. 

59 minutes ago, Vick said:

That happened to me too the first time I ever made mayo - I use my immersion blender now, and it has worked every time! :)

2 hours ago, Vick said:

Try >this one< for size - no need to drizzle the oil slowly, no need to wait for the ingredients to be room temp, just dump & grind. 

Good morning.  I'm on day 3 and can't shake a slight headache.  I'm drinking a lot of water and I think I'm eating correctly.  I miss bread!  I never went for the sweets but I love chips and bread and carbs.  Do you think the headache could be from lack of carbs?  

My husband slept 12 hours last night.. He's really struggling without sweets.  I also overslept but I feel good other than the headache.

5 hours ago, Karivan said:

Good morning.  I'm on day 3 and can't shake a slight headache.  I'm drinking a lot of water and I think I'm eating correctly.  I miss bread!  I never went for the sweets but I love chips and bread and carbs.  Do you think the headache could be from lack of carbs?  

My husband slept 12 hours last night.. He's really struggling without sweets.  I also overslept but I feel good other than the headache.

From what I've read that could definitely be the cause of your headache, I have one too and I am extremely tired! Looking forward to going to bed tonight :) Day 3 for me as well and it went well other then the headache.

Hope everyone had a good day too!

6 hours ago, Karivan said:

4 minutes ago, Dispatchgirl said:

From what I've read that could definitely be the cause of your headache, I have one too and I am extremely tired! Looking forward to going to bed tonight :) Day 3 for me as well and it went well other then the headache.

Hope everyone had a good day too!

Are you guys salting your food?

Lack of salt can also cause headaches, and since switching  to a whole foods diet can reduce sodium intake by around 70% is stands to reason that unless you're salting you could be falling short. Lack of fat can also be an issue. Both fairly common issues and easily fixed.

Anyone struggling without sweets needs to increase their fat - do not make the mistake of leaning on fruit/dried fruit/nut butters ofr thouse cravings will never go away - fat is your friend.

Going to bed at the end of day 3.  Completely thrown out of routine by having a sick child and being up and down to her repeatedly all night (tummy bug, not nice).  Ended up really not wanting to eat in the morning for feeling sick just from dealing with her all night and being completely exausted.  Today was meant to be the day I did food shopping and actually stocked up but instead I was winging it again.  I did quickly go to the shop and grab a pre cut caserol veggie pack and some chicken wing pieces and chicken soup/bone broth for meal 3.  I smelled lovely bubbling away on the stove all day. 

@Vick wow that was an eventful way to start your whole30!  

Glad I'm not the only one with a headache. I had the WORST headache last night/ this morning. It is just now starting to subside :( I drank a ton of water and I started to feel a bit better. 

I do have a question: I am doing this with my boyfriend and he isn't faring out too well. He woke up today with EXTREME stomach pain and diarrhea (TMI SORRY) he also hasn't had an appetite for the past 2 days and literally went to bed at 6pm last night. Is there anything he can eat/ drink that may help? Does he need to not go to the gym for a week so his body can acclimate to the new diet? Thanks guys, I just hate seeing him miserable and I don't want him to give up ! 

@Vick sorry can't delete this tag for some reason and it keeps coming up????

35 minutes ago, EJSmith said:

Glad I'm not the only one with a headache. I had the WORST headache last night/ this morning. It is just now starting to subside :( I drank a ton of water and I started to feel a bit better. 

I do have a question: I am doing this with my boyfriend and he isn't faring out too well. He woke up today with EXTREME stomach pain and diarrhea (TMI SORRY) he also hasn't had an appetite for the past 2 days and literally went to bed at 6pm last night. Is there anything he can eat/ drink that may help? Does he need to not go to the gym for a week so his body can acclimate to the new diet? Thanks guys, I just hate seeing him miserable and I don't want him to give up ! 

My first round I had really bad diarrhea and tummy pain on day 2 and was really bloated and uncomfortable on Day 3.   By day 4 I was ok.  Hopefully it passes quickly for him too

Archived