Starting August 22! Woo Hoo

EJSmith

I also started on the 22nd with about 5 other friends! So I'm feeling really lucky that it's day 3 and I'm not feeling terrible at all, but I think it's because this isn't an intense change from my normal diet since I'm allergic to dairy and don't eat wheat, so those were already cut out. I think I need to buy some larabars as well and maybe some beef jerky just to have snacks around. 

Working out has been really good so far, but I'm taking it a little easier than normal with shorter workouts and slightly less weight lifting. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everyone. 

3 days down, and it's been relatively easy so far.  There were fancy cupcakes in the teacher's lounge and I resisited! I prepped a lot of veggies and meat monday night, so I can pack my lunches for work.  Of course, we are coming up to the "kill all the things" stage.   http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/   Hang in there, everyone and keep up the great effort!

Thanks everyone for the advice on the mayo. I'll probable invest in that blender thing sometime soon when I get some more money. (That diet grocery shopping trip was expensive!)

Day 3 is over and I honestly haven't been feeling any different. I was already mostly dairy and gluten free before I started though. I think the worst thing for me is trying to fit in the cooking to my crazy life. I'm super tired from not getting enough sleep. It's like I'm back in college again. But that really had nothing to do with the whole 30 itself.

I will say that I can't believe how many eggs I have consumed so far in various ways. Good thing I don't hate them anymore. Subject to change after this though.

Also, I have a question about pre and post workout meals. I workout first thing when I wake up and eat 2 eggs before I go. When I come back, it is around lunch time and I just eat my lunch. I know breakfast and a post workout meal are recommended, but I literally think I would explode if I ate that much food. What would be the best way for me to navigate this?

8 hours ago, EJSmith said:

I do have a question: I am doing this with my boyfriend and he isn't faring out too well. He woke up today with EXTREME stomach pain and diarrhea (TMI SORRY) he also hasn't had an appetite for the past 2 days and literally went to bed at 6pm last night. Is there anything he can eat/ drink that may help? Does he need to not go to the gym for a week so his body can acclimate to the new diet? Thanks guys, I just hate seeing him miserable and I don't want him to give up ! 

It's fine for him to take an OTC anti-diarrhoea med until things settle down. Make sure he's drinking plenty water and eating bland foods like mashed potato, scrambled egg, chicken soup and bone broth if you can get your hands on it. GInger tea can also soothe a poorly tummy.

Would he normally go to the gym if he isn't feeling well?

Hi all you people who started on Aug 22! So it's Day 4 here in Finland. My biggest complaint so far is that I am kind of constantly nauseated and find the meals way too big. I'm 60, so maybe I don't need as many calories? I'm exercising and riding my bike to work, so it's not like I lead a sedentary life. I'm also deciding I hate vegetables :) maybe because you have to eat so many? Eating them FOR BREAKFAST seems like torture. Anyway, good luck to us all!

3 hours ago, Vick said:

Also, I have a question about pre and post workout meals. I workout first thing when I wake up and eat 2 eggs before I go. When I come back, it is around lunch time and I just eat my lunch. I know breakfast and a post workout meal are recommended, but I literally think I would explode if I ate that much food. What would be the best way for me to navigate this?

What time do you waken, what time do you eat, and what time to your train from/to?

Ye gods my head has been pounding like the guns of the Bounty.

Part of that may be that I have also gone cold turkey on coffee to try and reduce my Tinnitus symptoms. It's like being in a room full of toddlers who have just been given whistles.

26 minutes ago, Chuckuss said:

Ye gods my head has been pounding like the guns of the Bounty.

When a friend of mine gave up caffeine she had to take a week off work to cope with the headaches. Keep going, it will be worth it! 

Day 5 for me here and doing fine. I even managed to watch bake off last night without wanting to kill anyone! At the moment the only things I want but can't have are w30 approved but not low fodmap  (avocado, sweet potatoes, leeks, broccoli), so even though I'm feeling a little sorry for myself I can't complain.

In seriousness, I'm anticipating that the biggest issue for me this w30 will be boredom so I've looked up some new recipes and will try some of them next week. 

3 hours ago, AlexLifts said:

When a friend of mine gave up caffeine she had to take a week off work to cope with the headaches. Keep going, it will be worth it! 

Day 5 for me here and doing fine. I even managed to watch bake off last night without wanting to kill anyone! At the moment the only things I want but can't have are w30 approved but not low fodmap  (avocado, sweet potatoes, leeks, broccoli), so even though I'm feeling a little sorry for myself I can't complain.

In seriousness, I'm anticipating that the biggest issue for me this w30 will be boredom so I've looked up some new recipes and will try some of them next week. 

What is fodmap? And are we not suppose to eat those foods cause I've been eating avocado every day!

Anyone else subscribed to the daily email? Wondering if you received today's because I didn't :( Not sure who to contact or how about it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Other then that it's day 5 here, I'm in Ontario, Canada, and all is going well :) My workouts are still harder then usual but I am loving the W30! I already feel better, less bloating and abdominal discomfort! I'm really enjoying cooking, I've been trying to change things up so I'm eating and making a lot of things I never have before. Made Mayo and avocado mayo last night and they both turned out great! I had egg salad today with the avocado mayo...so good!!!

I hope everyone is having a great day!

11 minutes ago, Dispatchgirl said:

What is fodmap? And are we not suppose to eat those foods cause I've been eating avocado every day!

Oops, sorry to make you panic! No, those foods are totally w30 compliant. 

FODMAPs are a range of sugars found in certain foods. Foods that are high in FODMAPs are problematic for people with IBM and other digestive issues. Like me! 

Day 6 has started here and I'm feeling good! I had extremely vivid dreams about eating sweet things last night and woke up feeling guilty until I realised I hadn't actually done it. I know this is normal but it's still weird... 

Hope you're all holding strong and having a good weekend. It's a long one for us in the UK so I'm hoping the weather stays nice.

Ok it's day 6!  We've been doing pretty good.  I ate too many nuts last night so I'll have to watch that.  I'm used to snacking in the evenings.  I purchased the Real Plans meal planner app to help me out.  We usually just wing meals and I think that's part of our problem.  I told the settings to give me recipes for 4 people so we could have leftovers.  I'm going to try to have leftovers every other day as its not always possible for me to cook a complete meal in the evenings.  I need to learn the weekend prep too.  I didn't get too crabby but we both got really tired and I still have those little nagging headaches.  I'll try to increase my salt like someone said.  I'm going grocery shopping today and it feels like a long planning session.  :lol:.   Hang in there and have an awesome weekend!  My spinach frittatas are done!

Day 6! Woo Hoo!!  So last night, I had some friends and family over for an end of the summer party and bonfire... and made it through the whole party without even being tempted to try to any of the delicious noncompliant snacks that my friends brought with them!  I made the Whole30 ranch to go with a vegetable platter to munch on, and I mixed up some LaCroix mocktails to sip on!  I was worried that I was going to be anxious about being around so many temptations, but instead it felt good to stick to my Whole30 plan!!  Of course it did help that one of my friends and my fiance, who are also both doing the Whole30 with me, were both there with me!!  

Wow day 7 already?!? I had a great week, had my first cravings for sweets yesterday but I fought through them...did a lot of snacking unfortunately but at least they were all compliant :) 

Going to brunch this morning for a wedding shower, hoping there are a few things I can eat but if not I'll have fruit and meal 2 when I get home.

Have a great day everyone!

On 8/25/2016 at 4:09 AM, jmcbn said:

What time do you waken, what time do you eat, and what time to your train from/to?

During the week I wake up at 830 and am at the gym from 930-1130ish. So I eat 2 hard boiled eggs before I go and then have lunch right when I get back

1 hour ago, Vick said:

During the week I wake up at 830 and am at the gym from 930-1130ish. So I eat 2 hard boiled eggs before I go and then have lunch right when I get back

That's a long session to be skipping out on meals - your muscles have earned the postWO especially, and by skipping this meal & eating a template lunch which will include fat you're preventing the muscle protein synthesis needed for muscle growth/repair.

If I were you I'd get up 15/30mins earlier, have a full breakfast, work out, eat my postWO meal (a few bites of a lean protein & some optional starchy carbs) then have my lunch any time from 30mins or so after that.

Hope this helps.

One of the recipes called for sunflower seed butter. I bought some from trader joes a few days ago and just now looked at the ingredients. It says that it has evaporated cane syrup in it. Is that a no go or can I still use it?

32 minutes ago, Vick said:

One of the recipes called for sunflower seed butter. I bought some from trader joes a few days ago and just now looked at the ingredients. It says that it has evaporated cane syrup in it. Is that a no go or can I still use it?

Sorry, evaporated cane sugar is off limits...

Archived