Starting Whole 30 on September 5th

Mamagill08

I've done better with template meals the past couple of days, and that's making the days easier.  Dinner was a bit late tonight due to the kiddo's volleyball game, but it was already prepped, just needed reheating.  Mel Joulwan's chocolate chili.  Yum!

We've so got this.  7 days left!

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've made that chili, tasty! I love both her cookbooks. Last week everyone, how about some NSV updates? Personally my skin is clearer and just has a nice healthy look to it now, had to return a pair of jeans for a size smaller, even energy all day long even though little guy is teething and up a lot at night, no cravings and no need to snack, and my favorite, not weighing myself, I barely remember my starting weight, huge win! Anyone else have any they want to share??

Had to return a pair of jeans for smaller?  That's freaking awesome!!  :D

Not noticing as much this time as I did last time.  I think I went so far off the cliff that it's going to take more time.  Although as I mentioned before, digestive issues have significantly reduced.  And I'm handling stress somewhat better.  But I am going to stop the official W30 at 30 days and add back in raw dairy.  Especially kefir.  Then I'll see how I feel.  If that's good, then I'm going to call it good for a good long while before reintroducing anything else.  Except for Christmas Eve, because that night will be worth it :).  I have a lot of damage to heal.

And it just dawned on me that I've been off my thyroid meds for the past 2 1/2 weeks.  I totally spaced out the refill.  That might explain some of it.  I'm such an idiot.  Now I'm grateful I have a 24 hour pharmacy.

Hi All.  I'm still going strong.  Feeling really good.  So much less tired than before I started, less digestive stuff, sleeping like a log.  I've even noticed my eye allergies are better.  It's starting to feel normal to prepare my own food.  This weekend I was downtown and I took some olive oil and was going to take myself out for salad and burger, but it was hot and I was tired from walking around in the heat, and I thought, I'd just as soon eat my own food, so I went home and ate stuff I had here.  I've just finished doing my 2015 taxes (I know, I know, but I'm getting the data to the accountant in time to make the October extension deadline) and I was shocked at how much money I spent eating out, but also how many risks I was taking over and over.  Hopefully some of the food sensitivities will diminish with some time to heal.  That's what this time has felt like, a healing, emotionally as well as physically for I'm more stable in that area as well.  Clothes are looser as well, but nothing dramatic, which is fine.  My face is starting to look like "me" again.  I made some yummy breakfast hash this week with ground pork, onion, sausage type spices, and a shredded sweet potato and zucchini.  Got the zucchini idea from some online recipe, but I like the lightening up it gave.  This morning I sauteed some broccolini with garlic, and ate that on the side, as well as a couple of fried eggs.  I ate it for lunch and it kept me going until 8 when I got home.  Love not having that low blood sugar feeling.

My clothes are definitely fitting better. I have more energy, am doing more stuff and the last couple of days I haven't been crawling into bed exhausted at 9pm either. 

Oh. Sunday I went trampolining with the kids. 

Messed up yesterday; skipped breakfast, had a decent lunch and then didn't leave myself enough time to eat properly between classes because I was being too nice to my kids. I need to get my college nights organised.

On 9/26/2016 at 5:57 AM, FranE said:

Thanks (and mistyfire and Riya). Adding the fat and a big M1 would be a good strategy.  I think I'm also going to have a couple of days when I keep my fruit intake as part of m1 and m2. I think having fruit after dinner may kick off some of the night eating.

I'm also going to read the book on changing habits. 

What are m1 and m2?  I'm feeling dense.

I've lost track of the days!  Feeling pretty good and energetic. Dealing with my snacking fairly well (more fat earlier in the day). 

Biggest change has been working out (running, strength training etc) and fuelling on a little fat and protein. I used to have a banana or carb based snack. My mid section seems a little less puffy (?). 

So the activity and dinner with work yesterday turned out to be cook you own 4 course meal at a fancy restaurant! Quickly made the decision to never mind the program, eat the lobster and ribeye already! Actually it wasn't as bad as it could have been. This chef has been doing LCHF for years so there was very little gluten, but on the other hand both cream, sugar and wine. Anyway, I really didn't want to miss out on this rare thing so today is Day 1... I'm having no regrets today and I'm back on track, so it's all good!

Hello Everyone!!!

I'm reading posts from yesterday today and a few people have gone off the road, enjoyed something special and are starting the trip again ;)  This is where I want to be! When I did my first Whole30 back in May, I knew something was making me ill and I needed to figure it out. As soon as I started reintroducing things, I figured it out very quickly! I'm extremely sensitive to soy and my body prefers very little dairy! I know the sugar thing is just "poison" for me and I could write a never-ending story about the emotional mess I become over sugar! (but I won't do that today)

Anyway, reading your posts about going off the plan because you didn't want to miss something is awesome. Why should you?!?! Especially, when you considered the consequences and are willing to start over. THAT HAS TO BE WORTH IT!   Not long after my first Whole 30, summer hit and I traveled for 4 out 6 weeks. It was amazing, but the I didn't quite have the handle on my eating habits yet! Here I am again... almost done with my 2nd whole30 and trying to not panic about the next step!! I want to figure this thing out so badly! I want to be able to drink a glass of wine at a wedding, eat a slice of cake on my birthday, have homemade bread on Thanksgiving. I want to do all of these things without it spiraling into some out-of-control nonstop eating festival. I know this is what the next book addresses and I'm hopeful that it will help all of us!  I've tried prepackaged meal plans, Weight Watchers, the 500-cal starvation diet (OMG NEVER AGAIN), The DASH, Southbeach, and now here I am on Whole30. This is the first time I've ever followed an eating plan that I'm not hungry. The food tastes wonderful (because it's real food!) I don't feel deprived or sit around wishing I could have something that I can't. This is all daily routine stuff though -- the holidays are coming filled with lots of parties and those special things that only come around once a year. 

I too agree with @Catlover! You have to be able to live with it, this is not Whole365 ;-) But to me this feels like a healthy base to which you can add onto your own preference/what agrees with you.

I definitely want to do the full Whole30 and the proper reintroduction so I know better my reactions to certain foods (I do miss dairy for example, and rice and beans would be nice once in a while) Plus I want to slim down a bit more.

I agree!  I'm counting on "Food Freedom Forever" to have great coping mechanisms for remaining in control.  We've been given a wealth of information and helpful strategies - and links to SO many great recipes!    This will be my permanent lifestyle.  I will need to refrain from virtually everything we have eliminated, so learning ways to bounce back from rare indulgences without going headfirst down that slippery slope is my hope.   I want these habits to last a lifetime!

This really is a journey. I've done a few W30's over the last year and a half and each time I learn something new about myself and what is good for me. I haven't weighed myself in 4 or 5 months - not even at the start of this one. I find I do best with structure which is why I've done more than one. I still haven't mastered integrating all my learnings into everyday life. But my worst day when I'm not doing a W30 is so, so much better than an average day before ever was! And over this year and a half I've kept two of my most desired NSV: my rosacea is 95% gone and swelling in my knee from an accident years back is 75% gone. The reintros really are the most important part of the program- that's where I've really learned. 

@Mistyfire Have you been able to figure out what foods were triggering your rosacea?  Mine is a pretty mild case, but I know if I have a glass of red wine my face will turn beet red!  It also tends to flare up more in the winter when the humidity is lower. 

My reintroduction plan  is to continue eating mostly Whole30 at home, while being more relaxed when eating out.  I will add small amounts of dairy (I do miss cheese!) and see how I feel. Corn and beans will come up when we go back to my favorite Mexican restaurant, I'll just need to pick one at a time. Since my last Whole30, I had pretty much been eating "all the things" and falling back into some habits of mindless snacking. These past few weeks have helped tremendously and I'm looking forward to the next steps!

10 hours ago, AnnieW said:

@Mistyfire Have you been able to figure out what foods were triggering your rosacea?  Mine is a pretty mild case, but I know if I have a glass of red wine my face will turn beet red!  It also tends to flare up more in the winter when the humidity is lower. 

Alas much to my great sadness, dairy returns me to my days of adolescent acne.  I'm going to be experimenting a bit more with that i.e. aged cheese may work better, I'm hoping. I've learned that I can have small amounts of cheese maybe once a week. Maybe if aged cheese works, I could loosen up a little.

I drink black decaf coffee without any difficulty but during this W30 I realized that when I have black caffeinated coffee my face does the hot, fire engine red routine. 

I haven't thought of humidity but will add that to my watch list. 

The beauty of W30 is being able to isolate problematic foods. I think it's moderator Tom Denham who talks about this being an experiment of one. 

3 hours ago, Mistyfire said:

Alas much to my great sadness, dairy returns me to my days of adolescent acne.  I'm going to be experimenting a bit more with that i.e. aged cheese may work better, I'm hoping. I've learned that I can have small amounts of cheese maybe once a week. Maybe if aged cheese works, I could loosen up a little.

@Mistyfire What about trying goat and sheep's cheese/dairy separately? I have a friend who just can't do cow dairy, but is much better able to tolerate sheep & goat's milk products. I plan this reintro to introduce all of those milks/cheeses separately and see how I feel/react...

5 days left!  Dinner ended up being very late tonight.  I had to work the gate at the volleyball game, and thought I had someone to relieve me at 5:00.  Nope!  So ended up there for the entire thing and didn't get home until after 7:00.  Was glad I had pre-cooked ground beef in the freezer.  We ended up with taco salad and I roasted up some plantains while thawing the beef in the pan.  LOL.

I got some Crio Bru coffee yesterday and had a cup last night.  It was the first night I fell asleep quickly in a long time.  Lots of crazy work stuff going on, and I just can't shut my mind down.  Getting tired of it taking a couple of hours to get to sleep, only for the alarm to start 4 hours later.  So I'm going to have a cup tonight, and go to bed earlier. 

I've definitely not had the most perfect W30, and I can tell.  I've stayed 100% compliant, but too many days of poor planning = too little food, time off my thyroid meds, and lack of sleep have prevented me from feeling most of the benefits.  I should probably keep going, but as I said in an earlier post, I want to reintroduce dairy.  Nothing else really appeals to me, so I'll consider trying the rest at a much later date.

3 hours ago, Cannylassy said:

Day 26.  Ended up at five guys for a naked burger last night. So good, I nearly cried. I haven't found compliant pickles in supermarkets here, and I miss them so much...

I miss pickles, too!  I have the Bubbie's dill, but I'm not crazy about them. Prior to the Whole30 I was slightly obsessed with Trader Joe's spicy pickled vegetables, which are not even the slightest bit sweet.  I was so disappointed to see sugar in the ingredients. They will be making an appearance very soon (after the wine)!

• Moderators

@Cannylassy and @AnnieW It's not quite the same, but you might look for sauerkraut -- I've actually been able to find  some garlic dill sauerkraut around here that's compliant that has some of the same flavor of pickles, but even just regular sauerkraut has that sort of vinegary twang, and mixed in with other foods is similar enough for me sometimes, although it's obviously not the same as just eating a pickle. You might even look into making your own pickles -- there's fermented versions that take a little longer, or quick ones -- there are other recipes out there if these don't sound good, they're just examples. 

Soooo close!  Headed to a Japanese festival today, but have already packed lunch.  My daughter made some sort of asian meatballs, I have NomNomPaleo's Asian brussels made, some seaweed for both of the kids and I can't remember what else.  When the hungries hit, it's in the car in a cooler.  Will probably throw some Epic bars in my purse as well.

It's like the Whole 30 crew planned this for me.  The book will be delivered as a day early present, then I get to reintroduce dairy in the form of a butter seared filet on my birthday.  Not too shabby :).

And I had an unexpected NSV.  I didn't think I was seeing much this time around, but decided to be a bit masochistic and try to put on a pair of jeans that I couldn't button a few months ago, just to see if they were any closer to getting to the button hole.  They're a tad snug, but not uncomfortably so.  So I'm wearing them today!

On 9/29/2016 at 9:22 PM, Whole_K8 said:

@Mistyfire What about trying goat and sheep's cheese/dairy separately? I have a friend who just can't do cow dairy, but is much better able to tolerate sheep & goat's milk products. I plan this reintro to introduce all of those milks/cheeses separately and see how I feel/react...

Yes, you're right. Thinking how I used to enjoy chèvre from the farmers market. I would dip into it with cucumber rounds. I'm still sailing full steam ahead for these next 4 days but am doing some general plotting of my reintro approach. 

Day 28!!!! I hope everyone's hanging in there. I've already decided to do a slow roll reintroduction. I was going to do a whole 60 or 80 and reintroduce prior to Thanksgiving, but I've decided this may work better for me instead, especially with W30FFF coming out Tuesday. Anyway hoping everyone is having a lovely Sunday!

Archived