Starting Whole 30 on September 5th

Mamagill08

3 hours ago, VivaLaMeredith said:

Hi DJ!  I think the black and white rules of the program will be what get me through too! Being in Canada, what are the stores you shop for things beyond fruits, veggies and meats? I'm in New Brunswick and don't (sadly) have Whole Foods. 

Well... I too don't have any WholeFoods near me and I doubt that I could afford shopping there more than 2-3 times per year anyway (That is why they call it whole Pay-cheque).  I am very lucky that there is a local butcher (right across from my wife's work) that has local, grass fed/free range animals, and free-range eggs.  We often buy our lower quality meats (ground beef/stewing beef) there for chili, stews, etc.

Otherwise, i do some of my shopping at Costco but most of it is simply at our local food store (No Frills or FreshCo).  Like anyone else, I am diligent about reading labels and do my best with "good source" meats but I don't try for or expect perfection.   I have no issues grabbing Canadian Beef, pork or chicken at a regular shopping store as Canadian rules on Hormone and Antibiotic use are different than south of the border (more protective). 

We have 3 local farmers markets that we frequent and (for the summer) I participate in a Community Assisted Agriculture (CSA) where I pay up front to a local organic farmer at the start of the season and then they provide me fresh veggies every second week (and sometimes things I would never buy or try if not in my CSA share).  We also have 3 local health food stores for some of the more abnormal things like Coconut aminos...

Cheers

DJ

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone,

I am also starting my first whole 30 on september 5th..I have suffered with chronic hives for many years..Although this has hugely improved over the last year I am hoping the whole 30 will rid me of hives once and for all. I am nervous but very excited about all the potential health benefits the whole 30 offers. 

Hi everyone 

I am at this stage in my 3rd week of my first W30.  I am not a veteran but at least I know by now that I can survive without sugar, dairy, rice and pasta... And I finish in Sept 5th.... However I am afraid of going back to normal as I am not sure if once I bring back the sweets or desserts I will not overeat them as it generally happens to me and I do not want to go back to that.

So I was thinking on progressing with additional 15 more days at least - doing W45 or why not W60- so great if I can join you on this tread. 

It has been this forum and the group support which has definitely help me survive in this program, driving my inspiration and giving me strength to continue in the journey 

4 hours ago, PaolaA said:

Hi everyone 

I am at this stage in my 3rd week of my first W30.  I am not a veteran but at least I know by now that I can survive without sugar, dairy, rice and pasta... And I finish in Sept 5th.... However I am afraid of going back to normal as I am not sure if once I bring back the sweets or desserts I will not overeat them as it generally happens to me and I do not want to go back to that.

So I was thinking on progressing with additional 15 more days at least - doing W45 or why not W60- so great if I can join you on this tread. 

It has been this forum and the group support which has definitely help me survive in this program, driving my inspiration and giving me strength to continue in the journey 

Hi Paola,

I have the same concern.  I can swear off stuff for so long, but then I bring it back especially chocolate and I go crazy.  Moderation is hard for me.  I tried to start before September 5 and as of today was 8 days in but we went out for a family dinner which RARELY happens.  It was a Japanese place and I asked for the shrimp without teriyaki sauce and they put it on...ugh!!!!  I ate it anyway knowing I would have to start over so then I came home and had half a bar of chocolate.  Only 1/2 the bar so that is good for me:)  I will be looking to see what you suggest as you reenter.

Hello!  I just signed up last night for the September 5th Whole30.  I am beyond excited. It has taken me a little while to get on board.  I read The Whole30 book several months ago and thought I am going to do this, but then I got involved in summer time activities and many vacations with family, and I never fully committed to the plan.  I will not do something if I cannot commit fully, and the timing just wasn't right.  I have ordered my own copy of The Whole30 and am anxiously awaiting the arrival; which should be tomorrow. I am excited to re-read the book and be able to take notes, put page markers in to be able to easily refer back.  I have always loved meal planning so I am excited to look over the recipes and get started on a meal plan and prep. 

I am looking forward to see what will happen during these 30 days or beyond.  Reading so many stories that have been shared have me excited about the possibilities.  It would be amazing to feel improvement in my digestive issues, bloating, chronic pain....a good night's sleep- what's that?!  I look forward to gaining overall health. 

I have focused on weight loss for so many years, since my very early teens.  Media says everyone should look a certain way or you aren't accepted.  I have let all of this get in my way of being able to live a happy, healthy life.  I have dieted for so many years, trying everything out there.  Many were "succesful" for a while, but you all know the drill, it all came back.  I am not sure what happened this summer, but my focus has shifted to becoming healthy, feeling better both mentally and physically and I am sure that I have found a great opportunity to change my life for the better!  If I lose weight, great, but more importantly I am looking so forward to so many health improvements and to just feel good!

On August 29, 2016 at 9:38 AM, Cannylassy said:

It looks like there's a lot of parents starting on the 5th; are your families doing it with you? What are family mealtimes going to look like in your house? 

(My small people range in age from 17 to 6, and i have shared custody of the smallest three, so don't have complete control of their food choices.)

My son (8) will not be on the Whole 30, but is going back to 80% paleo with 20% non paleo. He doesn't love it, but tolerates it. Dinners for the family will be what I'm eating since I'm the cook. ;)  His lunches will either be what they serve at school (his school lunch menu is actually healthier than most and they have a veggie bar that he helps himself to) or the usual stuff I pack for him like hardboiled eggs, grapes, peppers, popcorn, and a piece of dark chocolate. 

My husband is contemplating doing the program with me, but I honestly don't think he has it in him right now.  He already asked me if he could do a "partial 30" and still drink cream in his coffee.  Maybe next time. 

9 hours ago, Lisa Kay said:

I am not sure what happened this summer, but my focus has shifted to becoming healthy, feeling better both mentally and physically and I am sure that I have found a great opportunity to change my life for the better!  If I lose weight, great, but more importantly I am looking so forward to so many health improvements and to just feel good!

It is interesting that you mention this and also the reference to the up's & down's of 'dieting'. I was just talking with a friend about committing to a healthy life vs, eating things that will move the number on the scale. 5 years ago I was focused on health and wellbeing and was about 20-30 lb lighter than I am now. When I started focusing on losing weight (I did weight watchers) I fell into the cycle of losing, stumbling, giving up, gaining all the weight (plus) back and starting all over again.

I've 'committed' so many times with half a heart, because I thought eating 100 calorie brownies and small servings were what would make me skinny. Looking back there was nothing wrong with how I looked then and I wish I could have had the contentment to embrace myself as I was. Whole30 is already changing the way I see myself and I know once I start on September 5 it will change my life as well. 

Hi all!

I am thinking about joining the big September Whole30 starting on the 5th :). My mom picked up the book and is interested, so I have been thinking about doing it with her. It would be my 4th round :). My only hesitation is that I'm looking to do some allergin/food sensitivity testing, which means eating a variety of food for at least two weeks to be able to see what intolerances you may have. So maybe I would jump in after the testing in mid September for my reset ... I'm on the fence about doing my testing before or after the Whole30 because of needing to eat all of the "off-plan" foods. So that's where I'm at :).

Wow! It looks like we have really great group here!

Cannylassy: I have 3 small people (all 11), and 1 big person (husband) who are not doing this with me. That said, I am the primary cook so most of what I make is something I can eat. But I will usually make a side like rice, corn, or beans for them. The last time I did this, it went pretty well. The hardest part was having all their non-compliant food in the house. I put it all on one shelf in the pantry and just avoided that shelf like the plague! :) I also asked my husband to please not eat certain things in front of me, like ice cream and popcorn, and that made things easier as well.

As it happened, after the last time my husband said that he was sad it was over, as he had really enjoyed all the home-cooked meals!

23 hours ago, VivaLaMeredith said:

It is interesting that you mention this and also the reference to the up's & down's of 'dieting'. I was just talking with a friend about committing to a healthy life vs, eating things that will move the number on the scale. 5 years ago I was focused on health and wellbeing and was about 20-30 lb lighter than I am now. When I started focusing on losing weight (I did weight watchers) I fell into the cycle of losing, stumbling, giving up, gaining all the weight (plus) back and starting all over again.

I've 'committed' so many times with half a heart, because I thought eating 100 calorie brownies and small servings were what would make me skinny. Looking back there was nothing wrong with how I looked then and I wish I could have had the contentment to embrace myself as I was. Whole30 is already changing the way I see myself and I know once I start on September 5 it will change my life as well. 

I can so relate to what you are saying here!  I did so many different diets during my teenage and early adult years, and of course it was the lose weight-gain weight yo-yo.  Then I became ill, and I did not want to go on medications as the doctors wanted me to.  I began researching other ways to help myself and came across clean eating.  I read and learned a lot and started a journey to clean eating for my health. I didn't weigh or measure anything, I ate only whole foods and I started feeling better, had more energy and my body began to heal, and I also lost weight.  I was truly listening to my body.  But then I did what a lot of people do, I wanted more, so I started to fall into the traps of counting, weighing, measuring, avoiding this or that, and working out to exhaustion.  This started the yo-yo all over again.  My weight fluctuated, I didn't know when I was hungry or when I was full, and I didn't feel as energetic as I was when I was just listening to my body.  I have tried going back to my original method of eating clean and just listening to my body, but those signals are broken, and my diet mentality also kicks in.  I am hopeful that the Whole30 will help me relearn this and get me back on track so I don't have that diet mentality anymore.  I want to be able to have freedom and not have my life revolve around food.  I get so encouraged and inspired by the stories of people that have completed a Whole30.  Excited for that freedom!!  We can do it!! Stay strong, make that commitment, and know that you are worth it!  Together we can all regain our health!

On 8/30/2016 at 6:08 PM, PaolaA said:

so great if I can join you on this tread. 

Yes, I'd say you're more than welcome to join us! I may extend my Whole30 into a Whole60 depending on various factors. It will be a challenge with Thanksgiving the middle of October, but I love a challenge! 

Hello all!  I'm Kimberly and I'm a wife, mom to 3, and a (hopefully) recovering chronic yo-yo dieter.  I just signed up to start the whole 30 on 9/5 and it looks like I'm in really good company!  I'm reading through the book now and am getting excited to start.  I'm hoping to address my emotional issues with food, clear up some skin issues, improve some joint pain, and resolve some sleep problems.  Can't wait to get to know you all a little better!  

I'm also starting my first whole30 on 5th September! Currently surfing for food ideas (nom nom paleo looks like a great resource) and being nervous...

I've been eating low-carb/LCHF for more than a year. Feel fine eating like that but running has been hard even though I should have been fat adapted a long time ago. My eating habits went south over the summer though and I need a restart and something that stops me from just eating Greek yoghurt and low carb sandwiches all the time.

Husband and kids won't follow the program, we'll make extra sides for them if they want them.

First challenge will be eating out with my new job on the second day o_O

25 minutes ago, MalinHillevi said:

Currently surfing for food ideas (nom nom paleo looks like a great resource) and being nervous...

Do you have the Whole30 book? I didn't want to stress myself out the first week so I am following the meal plan in that book. 

25 minutes ago, MalinHillevi said:

First challenge will be eating out with my new job on the second day o_O

Good luck at your new job! You'll do great I'm sure. 

Hi, I'm Kellie and I'm starting my first Whole30.  I have been working out for the first time, quit smoking, and weight is just not going anywhere! I am 51 which doesn't help LOL.  I figure accountability will help.  My little people are a daughter @ college and a 15 year old,  DH does almost all of the cooking so he may add starches and desserts for him and the boy,  Thanks everyone for being here!!

28 minutes ago, VivaLaMeredith said:

Do you have the Whole30 book? I didn't want to stress myself out the first week so I am following the meal plan in that book. 

Good luck at your new job! You'll do great I'm sure. 

Thanks Meredith! I do have the whole30 book (and It starts with food) but I haven't managed to read it all yet. I'll try to skim through the recipe section before grocery shopping on Sunday (I just hope I can walk properly that day, running a marathon on Saturday and I'm not in shape for it...)

I did a similar cleanse about 2 years ago. I felt great for about 2 1/2 months when I slipped and ate a piece of chocolate. My cravings all came back in that instant and when stress hit I caved. Since then I have gained about 40 lbs and my hormone swings have become intense.

I'm hoping that the support of the group will help me kick my bad habits and treat my body right.

11 hours ago, VivaLaMeredith said:

@greenhm I see we're sort of neighbours! I just followed you on IG, which is my ultimate favourite app. Will this be your 4th round? 

Cool! I'll have to look for you :). Yup, it would be round #4. Thinking I'll start around the second week of September. I have to eat some off plan food before getting my food intolerance testing done in order for the test to be able to detect any antigens my body has produced in response to said food. Not feeling well at all :(. I'm 100% sure that dairy makes me sick and I'm wondering about gluten/grains. It'll be interesting to see what the tests show, then back to whole30!!!

7 hours ago, kandcsmom said:

Hi, I'm Kellie and I'm starting my first Whole30.  I have been working out for the first time, quit smoking, and weight is just not going anywhere! I am 51 which doesn't help LOL.  I figure accountability will help.  My little people are a daughter @ college and a 15 year old,  DH does almost all of the cooking so he may add starches and desserts for him and the boy,  Thanks everyone for being here!!

Good luck giving up smoking . It has to be so hard to do that so good luck. i am sure you will feel better once you are over the hump. 

Archived